Regular Savings Advice

Options

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 June 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options
    You've not mentioned Tesco in the list, you don't need to switch and you'll get 3% on all the money in the account up to £3000 and may still be able to get 2 accounts too. Obviously it's a current account so you may not want to do that but unlike a regular saver it pays on full balance from day 1 and no end date although rate only guaranteed till April 2019
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    You've not mentioned Tesco in the list, you don't need to switch and you'll get 3% on all the money in the account up to £3000 and may still be able to get 2 accounts too. Obviously it's a current account so you may not want to do that but unlike a regular saver it pays on full balance from day 1 and no end date although rate only guaranteed till April 2019

And TSB 5%..
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    aj23 wrote: »
    I'm not doing Santander 123 + RS per what I said in my OP.
    It isn't linked.. so not 'per what I said..'
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like the Saffron one. If you're in the right postcode Ipswich do a good one too.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »

I have a Tesco account which I did keep £3000 in from February 2017 until March 2018 but I used it to fund my Lifetime ISA, so all that is in it is the interest I got. The minimum 3% ends in April 2019 so they most probably will drop it.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    And TSB 5%..

But that would involve switching and I don't want to do that per my OP
  • aj23_2
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    It isn't linked.. so not 'per what I said..'

You have to fund a Santander Regular Saver from your Santander current account, and that involves switching, which as I said I don't want to do.

"If you don’t fund the account from your Santander current account or if you deposit more than £200 in any month, Santander reserve the right to revert your account into an Everyday Saver."
  • aj23_2
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I like the Saffron one. If you're in the right postcode Ipswich do a good one too.

Yeah I fall in the cachment for Ipswich Building Society too even though I live nowhere near it ha.

I'm also looking at who put their rates up in November and who didn't. Leeds and Yorkshire did, but Saffron, Virgin and most banks didn't.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you.

I don't think I can open Principality or Chorley as I'm not resident of their postcodes or near a branch. VM Double Take I want something better than 1.30%. I do bank with Halifax, but 3.5% 200pm at Saffron BS slightly beats 2.5% 250pm Halifax RS in terms of interest accrued, saving me £600 over the year as such, as my money at Saffron wouldn't be working as hard.

Chelsea BS, owned by Yorkshire BS, also offered the 2 year RS until a few months ago, same with N+P until it was taken over by YBS.

Hey hey! You are in luck indeed! I'm from South London, so definitely not a resident of those postcodes for Principality or Chorley, nor do you have to be... hehe. that's why I opened them!

Just to let you know I went to a Bromley branch, and opened the regular saver with YBS, really happy!

Definitely check out Principality and Chorley. I opened my Chorley this month, and Principality this month, so I assure you, you don't need to be a resident.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was giving info on the savings accounts I already have save someone suggesting something I already have, and my current account so people know I'm not with a provider who offers 5% RS, which I explained after why I don't want to switch.

Thanks. I'm thinking Virgin e-Saver as I can open it online (nearest branch is 18 miles away) and Saffron as I have 2 within a few months of few.

I looked at that thread and it needs updating. Virgin ones still say about maturing in Feb 2019 (older issues) and I think the Leeds one needs updating. One I can't remember had been taken off sale when I clicked the link.

Deffo do the VM Reg E-saver, I have that as well as the double take one I mentioned :) so I'd say VM Reg E-saver, and look at principality and chorley
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure