Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emc123
    • By emc123 14th Jun 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    emc123
    Claiming on Old Accident
    • 14th Jun 18, 3:13 PM
    Claiming on Old Accident 14th Jun 18 at 3:13 PM
    So back when it was snowing in Feb my partner slid and went into the back of someone. The damage was minimal....seriously it was about 2mph! Contact details were taken and that was that. However the other party got their car 'fixed' and sent us a bill for nearly 400!

We didn't accept this and said if the damage was that bad we would clearly have gone through the insurance, he hassled and hassled us for the money and then everything went quiet. We thought it was a scam and he was just trying to get some money from us, particularly seeing as he was adamant he didn't want insurance companies involved and also because he said someone else had recently gone into the back of him causing damage to the rear bumper bar which is what he claimed needed to be repaired now.

However months on he has made a claim on the insurance.....where do we stand on this? He's already had the supposed work done, we don't even own the car involved anymore, to which there was no damage, and it's been so long!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Page 1
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 14th Jun 18, 3:22 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 14th Jun 18, 3:22 PM
    • 14th Jun 18, 3:22 PM
    Your choices were to pay the 400, or let the insurance deal with it. Since you didn't pay the 400, call your insurance company and be honest.

Just because you didn't see anything doesn't mean there was no damage to the person whose car you hit..
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Jun 18, 3:28 PM
    • 39,385 Posts
    • 23,376 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Jun 18, 3:28 PM
    • 14th Jun 18, 3:28 PM
    Now that the incident has been reported to the innocent party's insurer then you must quickly inform your own insurer or risk them cancelling your policy due to your breach of the conditions by not informing them. (The details of the incident will be recorded on the shared database used by insurers to prevent fraud)

Note that they will still deal with the third party claims (including injury compensation etc) even if your policy is cancelled but would in turn turn their sights on you to recompense them!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,438Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin