Asda (Creation) credit card dispute - timings?

Options
Hi all,

I regularly review my credit card (Asda Cashback) transactions online and back on the 18th May I noticed that my card had been used fraudulently online on the 17th and 18th, not by me.

Called Creation who blocked the card (cancelling the 18th's transaction as it was pending) and issued me with a new card 10 days later.

However 2.5 weeks down the line and I've still not had the twice-promised letter from Creation to sign and confirm that I did not spend on the card. I have since contacted them twice - once when I got the card to activate it (and was told to expect a letter), and again this week to say "I've had no letter". Was told to wait another 3-5 working days.

Has anyone filed a dispute with them before, and if so - how long did it take? Am I being unreasonable to expect the dispute form within 2 weeks? My statement date has passed and I've paid off everything except the disputed amount.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi indiegirl

I can understand your frustration and why you want to get this sorted as quickly as possible. Sometimes mistakes do happen and it may be that the letter was not sent the first time as it was supposed to be. If you have waited a further 3 to 5 working days from when you inquired the second time then you could consider making a complaint.

If you are still not satisfied with their response you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) and ask them to investigate (www.fos.org.uk). I hope it gets sorted soon.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • ywlgy
    ywlgy Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't have a card with them so cannot comment on the time frame. But have you received the refund?

The Payment Services Regulations state banks must refund no later than the next working day following the day you report it. But in my experience, it took more than one week for Newday(Aqua) to refund me. The letter came even after that.

So you should complain to them about the refund. That letter is not important.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ywlgy wrote: »
    I don't have a card with them so cannot comment on the time frame. But have you received the refund?

The Payment Services Regulations state banks must refund no later than the next working day following the day you report it. But in my experience, it took more than one week for Newday(Aqua) to refund me. The letter came even after that.

So you should complain to them about the refund. That letter is not important.
    They cancelled the pending transaction, it says so in the post.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    ywlgy wrote: »
    That letter is not important.
    Of course it's important, if the OP doesn't compete the dispute process the transactions could be debited again, especially if the merchant disputes the chargeback.
    They cancelled the pending transaction, it says so in the post.
    The OP had one pending and one posted, based on my understanding of their post.

In my experience they're very slow to send these out, pretty sure I waited several weeks. I also returned it after their deadline (forget what it was) but that wasn't an issue.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A pending transaction, not a pending letter :rotfl:
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • ywlgy
    ywlgy Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dj1471 wrote: »
    Of course it's important, if the OP doesn't compete the dispute process the transactions could be debited again, especially if the merchant disputes the chargeback.

The OP had one pending and one posted, based on my understanding of their post.

In my experience they're very slow to send these out, pretty sure I waited several weeks. I also returned it after their deadline (forget what it was) but that wasn't an issue.
    The letter is not mandatory. I have seen cases in this forum that no letter was sent at all.

And even if they sent and OP did not receive it and bank debited again because of this, OP can still claim the money back stating he received nothing. Ask them to send by tracked delivery!!

So, that is why i said there was nothing to worry about the letter. Getting the money back is more important.
  • WillyWonga
    WillyWonga Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    From having an Asda card with Creation from experience they are shockingly bad at communication.

I applied for card and got referred. 3 weeks later nothing heard. Called up and told with underwriters still. Said cancel application as if cant decide after 3 weeks then will take business elsewhere. Ok they said and emailed underwriters. 3 weeks after that card arrived in post!!

Payments slow to credit to account whereas with Cap 1 they showed within 3 hours it was lucky to get 4 days with Creation. DD also took 5 days to clear after taken.

Cashback slashed and apparently everyone got a letter???? I didn't. When called up to cancel I was asked why leaving. I said pre-historic customer service and snail pace transactions.

"I know" said operator. We are struggling as we are not a bank just a finance house.
  • indiegirl_2
    indiegirl_2 Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apologies for any misunderstanding

There were two transactions, one posted and one pending. They blocked / cancelled the pending one but the posted one remains on my account.

That's interesting about the Payment Services Regulation. I shall investigate and see if that applies here.

2 days later, no letter about the posted transaction and no refund still. I will give it the 5 working days as requested and then raise a complaint.

I'm still £150 down on my credit card.

I will request a tracked letter if it does not arrive this time.
  • indiegirl_2
    indiegirl_2 Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are Creation reading this, I wonder?

Refund applied to my account today.

Still no letter in the post (we'll see if that ever arrives).

Just as I was armed and ready as well. Shame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure