How long does it take for a will to be written?

Options
Hello,

How long does it roughly take for a will to be written? And by that I mean the time from making an appointment with a solicitor, to it's completion. It will be a completely simple will, no debts or property, just stating that I want all my cash and possessions to go to a single person. Thanks!

Comments

• Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've got no idea, however, I've got to ask the question..........why does it matter? Whether it's 2-days or 2-months, is that a deal breaker?
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If there is some urgency they could probably do it during your appointment.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Go prepared - a hand written draft, full name and address of the benefactor, full names and addresses of executors.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Provided there are no complications (like previous marriage, children, other dependents, being over £350,000 total assets (Inheritance Tax)) about an hour for a solicitor to interview you and draft it, then wait for the typist, and do the signing and witnessing.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • JC1440
    JC1440 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, Owain and Robin.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Just write your own and get it witnessed by two witnesses who are not beneficiaries of the will; job done. The language need not be legal speak; it can be plain English. There are example wills online and in books.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it took about 10 days for mine to be done from initial appointment to receipt of the signed and witnessed final version, with a bit of to-ing and fro-ing on details and correction in between. I'm sure it could have been done much more quickly if necessary, but probably at greater cost (mine was £80 + VAT).
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I think it took about 10 days for mine to be done from initial appointment to receipt of the signed and witnessed final version, with a bit of to-ing and fro-ing on details and correction in between. I'm sure it could have been done much more quickly if necessary, but probably at greater cost (mine was £80 + VAT).

Can I ask if you used an online Will writing service or a local Solicitor? Seems a good price you paid.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    JC1440 wrote: »
    Hello,

............... I want all my cash and possessions to go to a single person. Thanks!

What do you want to happen if that single person predeceases you ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport