Claiming on car hire excess insurance - Does it affect your own insurance premiums?

Options
We've just returned from a holiday in Italy where we hired a car. Whilst driving I clipped a curb and popped one of the tyres. Obviously we are being charged for this.
My question is, if I claim or it on my Car Hire Excess Insurance, does it affect my own car insurance premiums here in the UK? When they ask the question "Have you had an accident or made a claim in the last 5 years?" would this claim be something I would need to disclose?

Comments

• Morph4610
    Morph4610 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Nellly, yes you do need to declare this claim to your main car insurers. Likely to have some sort of impact on premiums but as not something which affects your no claims bonus shouldn't be major
  • nelllygreen
    Options
    Thanks Morph.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have thought it would be the claim on the motor insurance policy provided by the car rental firm that you would have to declare, not the claim on the excess insurance policy. So whether or not you have an excess insurance policy you would need to declare it. But I'm not an insurance expert.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills