Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DD265
    • By DD265 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,539Posts
    • 3,427Thanks
    DD265
    DD's accountability thread
    • 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    DD's accountability thread 21st May 18 at 4:21 PM
    Here we go again - third time lucky.

I dare say that from 2006-2014 I was almost constantly worried about money. I then changed to a better paid job (which I love) with numerous benefits and a bonus scheme, yet I've still got two credit cards and a loan - lets ignore the student loan. It's not that often these days that I do worry about money so when I do it really hits me hard, and I hate it and I get cross at myself for staying in the spiral.

This time last year my horse was put to sleep, and I gave up my new(ish, by that point) on finance car and bought one outright. I'll actually own it outright when I've paid off the credit card.

Since then we've gotten married and I can't blame the wedding for most of the debt to be honest but obviously it had an effect on finances generally. Our honeymoon is paid for (wedding gift) so touch wood, we've no major expenses coming up and I can knuckle down to sort this rubbish out.
Page 5
    • DD265
    • By DD265 29th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    I've been to see the personal trainer tonight and during the session we agreed the price for the 'stuff' which is 10 sessions. I'll continue to pay for two a week and we'll call off the 10 this winter as and when we want extras. Things are going really well at the moment so I want to keep up the momentum. Plus then I don't have to worry about selling these things; I have enough to get rid of as it is!

I tried the baking soda on the oven glass and it did nothing, so I got a glass scraper for <3 on Amazon and it's really helped. Much happier with the state of it now! Still got some cleaning/tidying to do, but I think it'll have to wait until after our honeymoon now.

I chased NCP earlier and had confirmation that we will be getting our refund, so need to wait for that to appear in the bank account. I've added it to YNAB so I know to expect it. I had to order some more cat food - we don't have quite enough to get through whilst we're away - but that should arrive on Friday. Sometimes Zooplus are really quick and other times they seem quite slow to despatch. If it doesn't arrive on Friday I'm going to have to go and pick it up from the depot so fingers crossed.

I sorted out our electricity tariff for the next 12 months as well. It wasn't the cheapest option but we've decided to stay with E.ON for a couple of reasons, mostly because they feel like a known entity and we're hoping to move sooner rather than later anyway - unfortunately during/after winter!

I sold something on Facebook this week and it was actually paid for (!) so pleased with that. Had a couple of other inquiries but nothing has come of them. I will start eBaying when we get back from our honeymoon and sod the fees, I've had enough and just want this stuff gone.

I'm looking at my budget and working out whether I can get another 50 into savings, but I might leave it as a bit of a buffer and move it on Friday. I think I might try the online version of YNAB, thanks to January2015's feedback here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5888050. One of my issues with YNAB 4 (the desktop version) is that there is no 'undo' button and that usually catches me when I'm reducing one category to supplement another, so being able to do both parts of that with one button should save me some grief. Given the nature of my job which does involve system testing, I think I'll do a 'pilot' and run both systems in parallel for the duration of the trial.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 31st Aug 18, 11:25 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    Pay day today - I love pay day. Savings are up to 857.23 - I have another 150 set aside to move across (50 of that being a standing order) but I'm being a little cautious and will wait until later in the month. I did move the extra 50 left from July's salary in the end when I realised I wasn't spending any more money yesterday.

I told OH that he needs to help me with the holiday costs (so far I paid for the seats on both sets of flights, airport parking for November, both sets of travel insurance and I've budgeted for the cat sitter!) and Mom said she'd pay for my eyelashes being done tomorrow which I'm currently covering out of my budget. Still need to book the taxi to get us home from the airport this month; should be 50.

I've paid the normal 100 off the MBNA card but they aren't taking the direct debit this month. It's taken a bit of figuring out how the cards work in nYNAB but I think I'm there now. I'm quite happy with the new app and can see me sticking with it - luckily the trial dates mean I don't have to pay for it until October because September is looking a bit tight if I do everything I want to do.

I am currently debating whether to move some off budget accounts into my budget, and vice versa. For example I have a couple of gift cards that we aren't going to top up so they could be 'tracking' accounts. But my savings and PayPal accounts should possibly be counted as part of the budget. Apparently you can't make a copy of your budget in nYNAB, so I need to decide whether it's worth the hassle. Yeah I could migrate in my YNAB4 budget again but... I'm wondering if I can export from nYNAB, import that into YNAB4, then migrate a new budget... Something to play with this weekend!

Oh I got access to my premium bonds - all 20. I'll probably withdraw it. Was hoping for a few hundred but that's 20 that I didn't have before I guess. I did sell something on FB yesterday though so that's good, posted it today. Also returned the extra bikini tops; one fit and instead of the normal two bottoms I buy I just bought one pair. That was paid with PayPal pay after delivery, so the refund should reduce the payment owed before it gets requested from my account.

The cat food will be available to collect tomorrow afternoon so I'm going to drag OH with me to see if we can get him a couple of light t-shirts. I threw one out recently as it had a hole in it and he has complained that his others are too thick. I did look in TK Maxx today but instead came out with some socks for him, a jumper for me, and a jumper and skirt that I will return tomorrow.

I think it's going to be a bits and pieces type of weekend; I need to do some serious list making!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 1st Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    I guess today has been a little spendy. Had my lashes done this morning, then we had fish and chips for lunch - we share a single portion meal deal so it doesn't work out too badly for my purse or my waistline! I sold a horse rug for 60 plus postage, so dropped that off at the parcel shop. Then we went into Next to look for some t-shirts for OH - nothing - but found a couple in DW Sports. Signed up for (yet another) loyalty card and saved 8; he paid though! Then went to TK Maxx to return the jumper/skirt, ended up with OH getting another t-shirt and some boxers so no refund for me and OH ended up putting a little towards the exchange. I hate seeing him in scruffy boxers though and I know I'm the only person that sees them but it really bothers me once the elastic starts stretching.

I sold one of our wedding items a while back but it's not been picked up yet - that should be tomorrow - so at 40 that means 100 made this weekend which feels like a good start to the month, plus a few people owe me some money which is the better part of another 100, then whatever OH is contributing towards the holiday(s).

I need to spend a bit more time looking at the goals in nYNAB. Today I have a lot showing orange (goal not reached) as opposed to green, because it wants me to budget in September having set a monthly target. BUT I get paid on the last working day of the month and that orange is going to bug me for 29 days. I need to find a way around it.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 2nd Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    The wedding item has been picked up so that's 40 in. I doubt it'll hit my bank account as I've no opportunity to pay it in before we go on holiday, but spends that would go on my card, like sun tan cream for example, will just come out of the cash instead.

I spent some time cursing Zoopla's website earlier. I don't find it intuitive or user friendly at all and it's not as though I'm inept when it comes to computer software! I much prefer RightMove to search, but obviously we'd rather not miss the perfect property. We probably need to use OnTheMarket too but I'll deal with that another time.

The cat food order has been inexplicably delayed and I've no idea when it'll turn up. I bought some cat food from Tesco instead so they won't run out whilst we're away; need to update the instructions for the cat sitter. Spent ages trying to find something that felt half decent compared to the Animonda Carny that we usually buy, ended up with Whiskas Casserole; it won't kill them to have it for a week. I'm going to give my mother my driving license so she can pick up the cat food order for us if it does turn up.

Recently I've noticed a shift in my spending habits. There was a gorgeous Emporio Armani mens jumper in TK Maxx yesterday; reduced to 41. RRP over 400. I don't necessarily have expensive taste and I'll happily buy second hand, but I do like good quality items made from good materials that fit well and this was all of those. It was the kind of thing I'd normally buy OH on a whim or keep aside as a Christmas present. I told myself that it'd get squashed in a drawer, he already has some nice jumpers and he wouldn't get much use out of it because he prefers a hoodie, and I didn't buy it. Old me would be shocked.

I need to finish my packing for the holiday. We're going on hand luggage only so it's a bit of a squeeze. I often feel like I should a different outfit for each evening, but will rotate between 3-4 maxi dresses. I'm not so bothered about during the day because if we're just by the pool I'll be in a bikini; I have two bikinis and one cover up, plus I've packed 4 t-shirts and two pairs of palazzo pants. I have a gorgeous maxi dress that I bought on eBay a year ago that I still haven't worn; it's too long for flats so I am not taking it this week to avoid packing heels.
    Last edited by DD265; 02-09-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 13th Sep 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    We had a fab holiday - the scales at WeightWatchers confirmed it this evening! The additional spends were pretty low; I didn't spend any more than I already had in my purse as we didn't do any day trips and we hadn't taken any Euros out but had a few left over from previous hols.

I'm really getting on with nYNAB to the point where I intend to keep using it and ditch YNAB4. I've moved my Savings account to be on budget, and I'm pleased to say that there's 1000 in it. Currently I have it split equally into two categories; emergency fund and house deposit. It would be foolish of me to put it all to the house deposit really.

On Tuesday somebody's car rolled into mine when we were doing the food shopping. I've had a quote to repair it for 610, and I'm waiting for the third party insurer to confirm whether they'll pay or they want to write the car off; unfortunately it is low value due to age and mileage. I think the thing that annoys me most is that this is going to see a nice hike in my premiums come October! The damage could be repaired DIY however so maybe I can pocket the cash and not feel so bad...

I agreed an approach with the personal trainer where I pay every four sessions (as opposed to each block of 10 currently) and the fifth comes out of the 'free 10'. This will make cash flow much more regular and therefore easier to budget for both of us. I keep track using a dedicated account in YNAB. I also need to start running again outside of his sessions (much easier now it's cooled down!) as it's been over 3 years since I weighed this much.

On the sales front nothing happened whilst I was away. I've got to focus on the convention now; it's a month away, so I'm about to make a list of the things I need to do and get. I could do with a couple of cash tins or money aprons (my sister is helping me on the stalls), price tags and possibly some 'rummage boxes' for the floor in front of the stall. I'll have some ponies clearly displayed and individually priced, then a number lined up in tight rows also individually priced, and then I planned to put others in the rummage boxes. We do have some boxes upstairs that might work but I need to check that they aren't too big.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 14th Sep 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    I'm pleased to report that my car is not being written off. The money for the repair (at the quotation cost) will be in my account early next week. Then I just need to decide whether the repair will be a DIY job or I'll take it into the garage for his less-work option. I'm a perfectionist and if we DIY I'll constantly be looking for flaws, but it's a 13 year old car so economically.. Plus if we DIY it I can add 600 to my savings account which is quite an attractive proposition.

I spent time last night listing all my ponies for sale, and have now checked the values. I have a few queries and may need to adjust some based on their conditions but I feel like I've made a good start at least. I've ordered price tags and am getting a money tin/apron/cheap carrier bags/table cloths from Amazon, plus a counterfeit note pen for good measure.

I've also booked a trip to Champneys in December for Mom and I. I get 75% off through my private healthcare, and 25% off for non-members so we saved 50% basically and as we're only going for a Sunday night it works out to <70 per person including three meals which I don't think is bad at all. We were talking about how she hadn't been on holiday this year and I felt bad so I suggested the spa trip; totally worth the expense to see her face light up. Treatments are extra (and expensive!) but personally I'm happy to laze around with a book or swim anyway!

Meeting up with some friends at a shopping centre tomorrow; I have 10 in my purse so was hoping not to spend more than that although I think we'll end up having lunch so we'll see. I'll avoid the temptation of doing any shopping; I don't need anything right now as I'm determined to slim down into my jeans.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 16th Sep 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    Spent 15 on lunch, then left the shopping centre when the others went wandering to avoid temptation!

I have got base prices for virtually all the ponies and now just need to adjust them down based on condition. Obviously I can adjust them on the weekend itself but I'd rather minimise the hassle of doing that. When I totted up the full value it came to 3300 - I am sure I won't get that much for them, but it makes me confident that I can cover all my costs and car insurance and still have a couple of hundred to put into savings. I will be pricing some things low deliberately; those that are bulky or delicate or tricky to sell online. As much as I want the money, I don't want the hassle so I need to find a good balance.

I was playing around with car insurance quotes last night. Bit premature, as my renewal is 1st November, but I wanted to see what impact the claim had had and I'm not best pleased. I did check putting my OH as a named driver on the policy which I was considering anyway - he hasn't passed his test and isn't even having lessons right now but we agreed we'd look at it after the wedding - and that brings the price down.

What I found was:

1) just me, accident declared - 680
    2) just me, no accident - 590
    3) + OH, accident declared - 535 (current insurer)
    4) + OH, no accident - 515

I've got a reminder in my diary to look at it in about a month (21 days before renewal) so we'll go from there. Obviously I'm upset that this accident is going to screw me over for the next 5 years but what can I do? I can't wind the clock back and park somewhere else!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 17th Sep 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    Been checking out the details of my Lifetime ISA to work out whether we've got time to use it - and we do. We can get the maximum of 4k in there (with 1/2 coming from family) before the 6th October meaning we'd get a 1k bonus by early November. Just need to find the account details now so we can transfer the money across. This does mean that that 4k is committed to a house deposit, but we know we're going to buy one eventually! It doesn't wipe out our savings; I'm keeping 500 back and OH will have about 1k, but it'll take him longer to replace that money than it will me, so it makes sense to leave a bit more in his account for now. Plus we have the support from family so if things really go bottoms up we'll manage!

Buying a house really feels achievable now though quite honestly I haven't got a clue how the whole process works. Lots of reading coming up!

I got the money in for the car damage (500 straight into savings, the rest has gone to other categories whilst I wait for people who owe me to pay up). My FIL spent a bit of time on it yesterday and the car looks much better, to the point where we may not even take the dents out. It needs a bit of colour (the worst scratches went through the lacquer) so I need to check the paint code and spend 15ish on a can of paint. That'll protect it over winter (I understand the colour layer and below are porous so it could rust if left) and I may or may not get it sorted properly come spring.

In other news, I am ill for the first time in what feels like forever. I have fought the run-down feeling a few times this year, but it caught up with me last week and I have a horrible head cold. I'm going through all our pain/cold relief tablets - must have a good sort out of all the first aid stuff. I have quite a practical nature when it comes to things like this (I think it stems from having a horse!) so we're typically well stocked but I haven't checked expiry dates in a while.

I'm going to book in to have the oven cleaned - it's a step towards being ready to move. Looking at 55 I believe for the oven, hob and extractor. I still need to paint the kitchen wall, and replace the strings on the blinds but I won't do that until we move the cats for fear of them chewing through again! There's also the laminate to put in the downstairs loo, and the primary motive for that now is so we can use the carpet we take up to patch a particularly badly cat-damaged bit.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 18th Sep 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    One of my favourite sayings is 'if you're going to do something, do it properly', and it seems as though my body is listening because it's gone all out with this illness. I'm not quite sure whether I have a sinus infection needing antibiotics or the beginnings of the flu, so I've booked a doctors appointment for Thursday evening (earliest I could get) in case I keep getting worse. If it ends up looking like the flu I'll cancel. Unfortunately my company don't pay sick pay (plus we get an attendance bonus) and I really don't want a deduction on one of the pay slips I end up using for the mortgage application, so I'm doing my best to battle through it but I'm not very productive at the moment.

I'm still waiting for the price tags for the ponies to arrive, and the money apron, but everything else is here. On the plus side it means I don't feel obliged to start pricing up whilst I'm ill and just want to crash, although it does mean that I'll have less time to get them all done. I might need some boxes to put on the floor in front of the stall, but I'm hoping I can use a couple of plastic ones from our spare room.

We've booked our Christmas meal for 10 of us - need to go over and pay the deposit but can walk one evening. It's only 25 per head (excluding drinks) in total for a curry which I think is pretty good going on Christmas day. OH and I also got 4 chocolate tubs yesterday from Tesco; they're on 2 for 7 for Roses/Quality Street etc which is as cheap as I've seen them in years. We live nearest the curry house (assuming we haven't moved by then!) so said we're happy to host drinks after the meal.

The next few months are going to see some sizable one-off purchases. In October I'll have the YNAB subscription to pay (I believe that there's only an annual option) and car insurance. In November there'll be a week of cat sitting and I think my next car service will hit in November/December. Plus house buying costs at some point. I find myself being a bit reactive at the moment but my money is '15 days old' according to YNAB and I think I understand how to forward budget now, so hopefully I can start making progress on spreading the cost rather than having to constantly find money.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 24th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    The oven was cleaned this morning, and I am kicking myself for putting it off for so long! It looks great and now I don't really want to use it. I did some batch cooking yesterday in anticipation of this; made some more soup (roasted tomato/red pepper last week, butternut squash/carrot/parsnip yesterday) and a big batch of stew, plus OH did a roast chicken. So every meal this week is a nice simple reheat, though we're also doing a coffee/cake morning at work on Thursday and I've said I'll bake something for that.

I feel like I've budgeted this month very tight but somehow made it work. This is in no small part due to the fact that I've been ill, and only had to fill my car up once. Plus pay day falls this Friday so technically the weekends' shop should come out of September, but it doesn't have to although the shop will be relatively small given the amount of food in the freezer.

Finally repaired my grey wool jumper earlier - they had a lot of Ralph Lauren in TK Maxx yesterday and when I found the same jumper at 50, it prompted me to get out the thread I'd bought a while ago. I think if anybody looked really closely they'd see that something wasn't quite right, but I'm quite pleased with the job and looking forward to wearing it again.

I have tracked down replacement pairs for my smart Ugg boots which are wearing out; I wear them for work in the ~9 months of the year where it's too cold for trainers. Looking at 100ish when the current season equivalents are 175. I paid 40 for mine barely used and can't justify that right now, though there was a time not so long ago when I wouldn't have cared. I'm going to take mine in to see if they can be re-heeled. My only concern is them coming back not as comfortable as they are now - I think it'll be a full sole replacement as it looks like all one piece. Will risk it for a biscuit though!

Already had payment through for some of the items I'm selling at the convention; a friend has bought them. I'm tempted to stick it straight into savings but I'm going to leave it in PayPal for now knowing that I might be paying my car insurance before the convention. I have assumed I'd pay the car insurance in full, but maybe I'm better off in the short term paying monthly, so I can put extra into my deposit fund...

Still need to transfer said deposit fund into the Lifetime ISA - in fact I'll find my Skipton details now!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Sep 18, 7:52 PM
    • 57,981 Posts
    • 238,549 Thanks
    beanielou
    Just make sure car insurance dont charge you for paying monthly.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • DD265
    • By DD265 24th Sep 18, 9:08 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    They usually do, but the maths might work out. Of course it might not. I'll have to see what the numbers look like. I do really like paying it up front but I should be setting aside the money monthly as well and I haven't been doing. I find it very difficult to do consistently (one of the reasons I'm in debt) because I have 'too much' disposable income, i.e. if a direct debit isn't going out each month I consider the money fair game, and I'm confident I'll be able to 'find enough' when I need it. Working on changing that mindset but we do have some big expenses coming up, and also whacking more into savings than normal, so it's slow going to begin with.

I've sent 1 on it's way to my ISA - was a little put off that Lloyds thought the Skipton sort code was for Barclays, so doing a test run. I think it's Lloyds that's wrong, as I was properly logged in to the secure Skipton site, and the sort code was mentioned in several places. So we'll see whether that 1 ends up in the right place tomorrow.

I did some juggling in YNAB and moved my PayPal and Quidco accounts into the budget. It's hard work and some how I've ended up with a negative amount in two categories in August but that hasn't carried through to September so I'm just ignoring it because I can't work it out to correct it. I believe it was fine before I started moving accounts around.
    Last edited by DD265; 24-09-2018 at 9:12 PM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 25th Sep 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    3 hours driving - mostly stop/start traffic - to get to and from work today; it really is bad for my mental health and my physical health suffers for being stuck in a car as well. Unfortunately roadworks affect my commute to the other office too, so it's slightly longer each way, but at least traffic is moving for most of that journey. I'm going to try and get in the routine of doing a day a week at each. If it becomes normal again then I may find it more bearable. Literally the only positive I have is that I can usually listen to an entire Tim Ferriss podcast in a single journey because they're that long.

So because of that - and a run with the personal trainer which thankfully undid some of the commute-related damage to both mind and body! - I am absolutely shattered.

Just updated my budget, not that there's a huge amount going on. That 1 turned up in my ISA, so I sent 999 following after it. That's committed to the house deposit fund then! I also sent the paperwork off to the mortgage broker last night, expecting him to call tomorrow or Friday and we'll go from there.

I am waiting until I get paid to budget October, but I am sorely tempted to get ahead of myself and work things out. I also need to call in some money owed to me rather than letting it drag on. The two unknowns are car insurance (I have a vague idea of course) and income from the convention. I'm hoping the first is low and the second is high.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 28th Sep 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    It is Friday and pay day today, hurrah! I have already budgeted but this time instead of budgeting the money in September, I've budgeted it in October. It's a small thing, but it means I can meet some targets in October rather than having it glaringly orange all month.

Unfortunately 500 of my disposable income has gone in the 'car insurance' category. I need to try and make a point of setting a bit aside every month for this (and a few other things) even if it's only 25. This means no extra money for savings just yet this month, though I do anticipate more income mid-month from the convention so I'll just have to bide my time.

OH and I have set our Christmas present limits - 50 each on each other. We spend big on birthdays instead, and mine is in January. I've already bought him one thing for 12, so I will be crafty with the rest.

Looking at a fairly small food shop this weekend which is good, but as it's a using-up meal plan this week, next weekend's shop will be a big one. Got some Pets At Home vouchers through today so ordered a big bag of cat biscuits, as they seem to only stock the small size in store now. 5 off!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 1st Oct 18, 10:41 AM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    Well I won the gold medal for procrastination this weekend!

I did a small food shop; we've another week of having predominantly leftovers. I'll do a big shop this coming weekend, as I'm away the weekend after. Bought a beef joint from the butchers which I roasted yesterday and it's such good quality, tasted delicious. When we move I'll either have to find a new local butchers or keep coming back to ours.

Had an impromptu trip to the White Rose Shopping Centre in Leeds; I didn't need anything and managed to keep spends to 14, but my sister needed a few bits and Mom treated herself to a lovely dress in the sale. I bought OH some violet gin liquor (he loves the Purple Rain cocktail which tastes like Parma Violets) and I got conned into buying a DVD by my sister, but the movie isn't available on NowTV/Netflix/Amazon anyway unless you pay to rent it.

Yesterday I baked another batch of cupcakes to use up some eggs (still got two left!) and then we put price tags on one batch of ponies. It wasn't as painful as I thought it'd be, so I'm confident that we'll get through them all in plenty of time. I'm up to 300 in pre-sales/reservations - a great start!

Today I am working from home, so in my lunch break I'm hoping to see about getting my boots re-soled, and I need to post something to a friend. I've got a short list of chores to get done as well but I save so much time on the commute when I'm working from home that I don't mind.

Oh durr, my big news! Thanks to a contribution from OH's parents, the lifetime ISA is now maxxed out for the year with 4001.25 - the 1.25 being from last year. Just got to wait for the 1k bonus to hit - shouldn't be any later than the 5th November. The plan is that OH will open a HTB ISA after the convention, and I'll put the max of 1200 in there for the first month, then we'll try to get it to 1600 so we can get the bonus on completion, but if things move faster, there's no penalty for early withdrawal on that.

I can't believe we're actually managing to do this!
    Last edited by DD265; 01-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 1st Oct 18, 10:46 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Just stopping by to say a big well done on the ISA
    • DD265
    • By DD265 2nd Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    Thanks efes shareholder, it's all starting to feel pretty real now. Got the call with the mortgage broker this evening so lets see how that goes.

I've been using nYNAB for the full trial now, and I do prefer it to the old version. I particularly like the goals; it's great seeing a lot of green in my budget to say goals are met. And the undo button is very helpful. I like the fact that I can access it anywhere via a web browser, though you do get the option to adjust your budget in the mobile app which wasn't possible in YNAB4.

I'm not too keen on the way it handles upcoming transactions; if I budget 50 for say physio, and I know my appointment next week is going to cost 25 so I enter that in the account, the 25 isn't deducted from the budgeted amount until the day of the transaction. If you dive into your budget you can see it's coming, but I'd rather know I only have 25 for the month in that category.

Much like YNAB4, it's difficult to forward budget. In fact you can't allocate income until the transaction day. This is a good thing because it's stopping me 'borrowing' from next month and breaking that habit. Only budget - and spend - what you've actually got.

My 'age of money' figure (which I still don't totally get) is now 31 days - I think that's good?! Apparently it's the average age of your last ten cash (i.e. non-credit) transactions. It works on the basis of first in, first out - so oldest money first. I understand that, but I still don't understand how it arrived at 31 days.
    Last edited by DD265; 02-10-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 3rd Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    So the application for a Decision In Principle is a work in progress. They want to know how much our student loans are, which has me frustrated because so many people tell you 'not to worry about them' and that 'they don't count because it's an unavoidable debt' so you just grumble about the repayments getting taken and otherwise ignore them. BUT my student loan was over 15k in April - and I've paid about 1k since though the balance won't update until next year. OH's is probably higher, I'm waiting for him to get home so we can check. I am worried that these will impact our affordability, despite already confirming the current repayment figures. So I guess I'm more worried than frustrated.

I won 4.50 on the Euro Millions last night (we only play if it's over 80m, and then only a lucky dip so you don't get trapped playing your numbers weekly in case they come up) so cashed that in earlier. I just added it to the cash fund in my purse. I'm always happy when I can pay for little spends with existing cash rather than taking money out of my account.

The quote for getting the carpet dyed where it's bleached came back; 500. Unfortunately it's a very big room so we might be looking at a similar amount to replace it. I'm hoping the landlord will say it doesn't matter, but it would bother me so.. Will have to let this one develop for a while.

I haven't gotten much done from my to-do list yet this week. I realised yesterday that I feel really overwhelmed with the amount of things that 'need' doing. For all I think I'll focus on one thing I don't, then I end up procrastinating, then I beat myself up, and it becomes a vicious cycle. OH is quite good if I ask - but I often feel like asking is a big part of the work; that emotional labour thing. There are 4 things on my to-do list for today but I also have personal training so I'm going to aim to do just one tonight.
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 3rd Oct 18, 6:57 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    With YNAB, I enter the transaction when it is confirmed, then mark it as cleared when the payment goes through. Otherwise I lose track completely!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 5th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    DD265
    With YNAB, I enter the transaction when it is confirmed, then mark it as cleared when the payment goes through. Otherwise I lose track completely!
    Originally posted by GlendaSugarbean
    I do the same - but I put the date it's happening (then it might still take a few days to clear from there) rather than the date I become aware of it, if that makes sense? TBH if I was budgeting more effectively, which I'm trying to do, it would be less of an issue.

We have our agreement in principle and have viewings booked on 6 properties this weekend. I was quite dismayed yesterday when I rang 2 estate agents about 8 properties, only to find out that I couldn't book viewings on 6 of them. Those were the ones in Manchester, where I'd spent hours going through our must haves/nice to haves/won't touches, crime stats, rights of way etc. We're viewing one tomorrow, but there's only one photo which is external so it could be a total miss as there are so many unknowns. Like the mystery house on that Escape to the Country or whatever it's called.

I have taken a different approach to the Nottingham properties, and am now on the books of 11 estate agents. I've let them send me the properties they have available meeting our criteria, so at least the list of 100 on RightMove was narrowed down to the 30 or so that were actually available. We shortlisted it down to 15 - and have viewings on 5 of these on Sunday - so I'm going to prioritise 'spreadsheeting' these 5, and will worry about the other 10 (plus any new ones) later.

I also need to get on the books of estate agents in Manchester in a similar way, plus there's Zoopla and On The Market which we haven't looked at yet.

All this means that a) the flat is a tip and b) my progress on getting ready for the convention is painfully slow. I've promised myself that after the viewings this weekend, I'll focus on convention prep/housework because we won't be able to do any more viewings until the 20th anyway.

It has all gone a bit mad
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

327Posts Today

4,482Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you to the team at the Westen eye hospital a&e. I scratched my eye ball in my sleep, then woke up with pain.? https://t.co/VJMwQfsRxv

• I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Follow Martin