DD's accountability thread

Options

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Woop - OH just contributed to the bills so that's the Barclaycard down to £3000 and the MBNA card down to £1800 once the DD's have gone out. :beer:

Next target to be confirmed; it's probably going to be more savings but probably in our joint account for cats vets bills. In theory I pay an extra £50 a month in there for that purpose, but it gets swallowed up on other bills. Luckily being indoor cats they're at a pretty low risk!
  • DD265
    Options
    My trial glasses arrived from Glasses Direct yesterday. One pair were too much (they were black and I suit something a bit lighter), one pair were two narrow and the third were good. If I could've gotten a wider pair like the second I would've, but never mind! I rang up and amended the order I put in. They issued the refund instantly (though it was PayPal pay after delivery, so it just reduced my payment) and she also said that in the future, as long as I place the trial order within the window for a discount code, if I order over the phone after they'll honor the discount code which I thought was great service. The trial glasses have been returned (free) so I just need to wait for my sunglasses to arrive, and get the invoice submitted to my cash plan to claim that back.

I'm still waiting for my passport to come back from Skipton Building Society and starting to get a bit twitchy. If it's not back with me by Monday I'll give them a ring and make sure they got it; I did get proof of postage at least. I need to get my name changed on it!

I am away for a couple of nights - work related - then apart from driving home on Saturday we don't really have any plans. There were quite a few 'bits' displaced during the furniture shuffling so I'd like to get those sorted out properly. I filled the clothes horse today, and will get OH to do some bedding whilst I'm away, but the clothes will be dry by Saturday and hopefully I can catch up on the washing this weekend. It would be good to get back on the selling wagon too. :)
  • DD265
    Options
    The direct debit for the Barclaycard has gone out and cleared so the balance is a nice round £3k. As the limit is £3.5k I still consider it maxxed out, but the limit increases to £5k in August. I have no intention of using it, however! I may even drop the MBNA limit down to £5k as well (from £8100) and then it should be fairly easy to balance transfer in the future.

No extra income over the weekend but no significant expenses either. We're going out for tea tomorrow (which is more expensive than I expected for a glorified chippy - sorry sea food restaurant :rotfl: ) for my sister's birthday, then we're out with friends on Saturday, so I want to keep other spends to a minimum if possible.

Otherwise just resisting the urge to have a fan plugged in next to me at all times; it's 31 f'ing degrees in here (sorry but I think that justifies a bit of swearing!) and I cannot cope, but I very much doubt the fan will help although I currently need it to sleep. Due to be a bit cooler tomorrow, and I'm working from home to take the Zooplus delivery, so I will be happier if the weather does as it's supposed to! If it's consistently going to be this hot, I'll find myself doing the drive to the office more in search of air conditioning, which means I lose free time and spend more on fuel!
  • DD265
    Options
    I have hurt my back (one of the reasons why I've not updated this diary - couldn't sit at my desk) and had a chiropractor appointment on Wednesday, then I have a physio appointment on Monday. I can claim both of these back from the cash plan so I've already submitted the invoice for Wednesday and had it approved. :T

Not got my sunglasses yet but they hadn't updated my order when I sent in my prescription so that's now sorted. I guess they'll cost me £27 in the end as I've only got £63 to claim back on optical. When they despatch the glasses I can ask them to email me an invoice and put that claim in.

I withdrew my balance from Quidco and got 15% extra for taking it as a Debenhams gift card. I had some left over balances already (I can get vouchers at a discount through a work reward scheme) then we got some as wedding presents too. That means we have almost £135 to get any clothes etc we want for our honeymoon - or home or whatever really. We don't need much, and I often pick up holiday clothes on eBay anyway.

Our budget looks healthy. We're running out of spending money, but have agreed to limit our plans to what we'd already committed to. That is an evening out with friends tomorrow, and then a trip to Alton Towers at the end of the month with siblings - we have half price vouchers for those tickets!

One - possibly the only - benefit of having hurt my back is that I'm not going into the office, which means that I've managed to get two weeks out of a tank of fuel. That always makes me happy :rotfl:
  • DD265
    Options
    My passport came back, so I've tried to order the replacement. Note the 'tried'. Last year, you filled out the form online and printed them, then sent them off with a physical passport photo and your old passport. This year, it wants a digital passport photo, which would be free except we can't get a decent one on a phone - too much light throwing shadows. This means a trip up to ASDA where they have an upgraded photo booth which can do a digital code and £6 for the privilege. I'll have to do that tomorrow as I'm beginning to cut it fine.

We did the food shop this morning and went into town. I picked up my engagement ring from the jewelers; I had it resized prior to getting married as it was too big, and the solder hasn't held up. It snapped a second time two weeks ago, but they've repaired it free of charge on both occasions. Third time lucky I hope! I also got some thread to darn a jumper I have (moth got it) so fingers crossed I can do a good job of that as it's one of my favourite jumpers.

The food shop itself was reasonable: £19 in the butchers including a beef joint, and £25 in Sainsburys off the reloadable card. It felt like we got a lot for £25, and we're having a cooked breakfast tomorrow which involves lots of 'bits' that we don't keep in normally. I'll try and do a cheaper meal plan for the week after, which will mean back to the pasta. :rotfl:

Tonight's outing is with friends to an escape room (already paid for, £18 each) and food. I've booked my train ticket already, OH has a monthly pass so he's sorted. I'm just looking at the menu to see what I fancy - both from a WeightWatchers angle and money-wise - and it's going to be the drinks that add up. I might just get a cider - I can't finish even one bottle in 3 hours so it's a cheap option. :D
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    See link for something that might help. I don't know how well they work - I wash my car every 6 months at Tesco's, so not a shining (ha!) example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-SWPW-Portable-Pressure-Washer/dp/B00GOLJLLI

You could load it into the car empty in the morning, and fill it up (cold) at a petrol station so you avoid shifting gallons up and down stairs, and then all you would need to do is bring a small bowl of warm soapy water down for the initial scrub

its £20 so I wouldn't expect too much

Once every six months! I do mine once a year at Sainsburys if I remember. I reckon the muck protects it.
  • DD265
    Options
    Passport application in. The photo booth at ASDA was out of order (and it's the only one in the locality which does the digital code) but they also have a photo counter. They would do a photo on a USB and 4 printed for £10 (how much?!), but they only had one machine working and the family in front were doing a ridiculous amount of faffing so after 10 minutes waiting - and the store closing - we called it quits. Managed to get a reasonable photo at home, which has passed the automated checks, so fingers crossed it passes any manual ones too!

I may have sheared the front off part of a veneer, well I'm almost certain I have but whether it's a problem.. I started a thread in the Health & Beauty section here about not being able to get an appointment with my dentist, and looking at going private or on a plan instead, which I assume would mean sorting the veneer first if it is indeed in need of repair. Rather than stress over it, I have an appointment with the hygienist in a week and I'll see what it's like when she polishes it. In the mean time, no more eating those WeightWatchers bars straight out of the freezer!

We're starting to clean and tidy up properly now that we can vacuum up - we had to wait two weeks. I'm taking the opportunity to sort things out - just bought a new power supply and cable for our landline on eBay as the previous cables fell victim to the cats. We'll need a new extension too, as we have run out of sockets. The phone was on my husbands desk for weeks waiting for him to deal with it. Sorted now. :rotfl:
  • DD265
    Options
    So it is Prime Day. Amazon is doing this weird thing where things are cheaper in my basket/on the item page than when I actually go to checkout which is annoying so it's stopped me buying some gym leggings and a phone case, but I did get two sports bras for £25 when normally I'd pay £25 each. I have been meaning to get more for a while as if I train 6/7 days a week I find I can't keep up with the gym kit washing and I'd rather do one full load a week than two half loads.

I've sold something on FB too - only cheap but as it's been listed a while that's all good. I am waiting for payment then I will post that tomorrow. I still need to dig up and quote for postage on the items going to the US, but there's too much stuff on top of them on the spare bed right now. A job for this coming weekend I think.

I saw the physio earlier - need to ring up for a receipt tomorrow so I can claim it back, as the one I got is missing some info. My back is still very sore (and I'm exhausted, but promised a customer I'd stay up until 10 in case they needed me to do something...) so I'm not going into the office this week; the drive will definitely make my back worse. This saves me a lot of money in terms of fuel plus 2-3 hours a day in time! Still waiting for my glasses to be despatched and can't claim back for those until I get the invoice, but I had forgot to allow for that claim in my budget so things look even better with that added in.

I'm also waiting on a (large) refund for some shoes I returned. I'll give it until tomorrow and look at chasing then I think; said shoes should have been delivered last Tuesday/Wednesday. I can dig the receipt out and track the delivery anyway, as I had to opt for special to get enough insurance.

So my budget is kind of relying on this money coming in, but it's all guaranteed, and on the whole things look pretty good. :beer:
  • DD265
    Options
    I did get the leggings in the end - £16.99 which I'm happy with as they're Under Armour and I know they'll last years. Not bothered with anything else though! I was chatting to a colleague and we were saying that you almost look for things to buy but that this year it's been quite disappointing.

I have however bought a couple of bits elsewhere. We have an area of bleached carpet thanks to the cats and had resigned ourselves to replacing it when we eventually move out (we're renting). However I thought sod it and bought some spray dye that I'm hoping can blend the area in. It was less than £10 so if it works we'll be laughing. I also finally worked out what the missing bit on a window was called - a cockspur wedge - so I've ordered a pack of those too. It's the thing that the window handle rests against to pull the window tight against the frame and create a seal, so without this there can be a draught. It's only taken 3 years to find that out!

Our electricity usage is very high. I can appreciate that we're on the ground floor with a car-port type car park underneath us, we have large windows front and back with no curtains downstairs, external-facing extractor fans in the downstairs loo and en suite (I guess the main bathroom one goes through the cavity), a long external wall on one side and a large open plan living area so the heating really kills us. Add in me working from home a lot with a computer based job, and OH being a gamer... Still we need to put some energy into reducing the bills.

Over winter I put draught exclusion tape around as much of the door as I could (too much and it wouldn't shut) and a cardboard wedge for the aforementioned window. We do have a smart meter it's just the reader thingy doesn't work very well because of where the meter is vs where we are. We only have electricity, and found out fairly recently that the timer on the boiler was wrong so it was heating water at weird times and although we're not on economy7, surely that was inefficient. I try to do virtually all our washing on the 30 min 30 degree wash, and only tumble dry bedding/towels (we have no outside space to dry anything) as we can't dry these well enough on the clothes horse. We probably could turn more gadgets off at the wall, and we could use the dishwasher a little less - but as there's only two of us at most we run it three times a week if we aren't washing up by hand. Most of our lightbulbs are energy efficient LED, I think the bathroom/ensuite ones are weird.

I am thinking of making our energy usage a project of mine to see if I can get the direct debits down!
  • DD265
    Options
    Soooo as well as the two credit cards, I have a loan with Lendable. Somehow it's almost worse admitting to that than the credit cards, even on here. :o It finally occurred to me today (and I don't know why I didn't think of this before) that I could pay it off with the MBNA card as I have plenty of room on there and a 0% deal on money transfers until November 2019. So I've put in for the money transfer and even with the 4% fee I'll be saving a lot of interest.

I will need to keep an eye on the MBNA balance now because the £1800 is interest free until May 2020, but the £4400 I've just added is interest free until November 2019. The T&Cs say that where you have two balances on the same promotional rate (i.e. 0%) then payments are applied to the one where the promotion started first, which is kind of the wrong order. The £3k on the Barclaycard is interest free until June 2020.

So what I'm going to do is add the loan repayment to what I pay on the MBNA card already, plus a bit extra to round it up to £300 per month. I'll focus on paying down that card, but I'm not reducing my payments on the Barclaycard and will keep those at £100. I'd like to be repaying £500 a month across both, I'm just not certain that's feasible right now. I need to set around £500 aside for my car insurance renewal at the end of October.

It sucks to see the big numbers, but I'm actually happier with the visibility of those numbers all on the two credit cards. I do have the loan in YNAB, but it just doesn't really feel 'there' somehow. Putting it on the credit card makes it real and not something I'll just leave ticking along in the background.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback