Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DD265
    • By DD265 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,597Posts
    • 3,536Thanks
    DD265
    DD's accountability thread
    • 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    DD's accountability thread 21st May 18 at 4:21 PM
    Here we go again - third time lucky.

I dare say that from 2006-2014 I was almost constantly worried about money. I then changed to a better paid job (which I love) with numerous benefits and a bonus scheme, yet I've still got two credit cards and a loan - lets ignore the student loan. It's not that often these days that I do worry about money so when I do it really hits me hard, and I hate it and I get cross at myself for staying in the spiral.

This time last year my horse was put to sleep, and I gave up my new(ish, by that point) on finance car and bought one outright. I'll actually own it outright when I've paid off the credit card.

Since then we've gotten married and I can't blame the wedding for most of the debt to be honest but obviously it had an effect on finances generally. Our honeymoon is paid for (wedding gift) so touch wood, we've no major expenses coming up and I can knuckle down to sort this rubbish out.
Page 4
    • DD265
    • By DD265 21st Jul 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Our shopping spree did not go quite to plan. I had balances on 6 gift cards (4 physical, 2 virtual) and yet only two actually showed the balance - the rest were 0. OH ended up paying for the shopping (we used the two) and I kept all the cards so I could suss it out. I've got home and we must have missed scanning one which had the MIA 113 on it. I'm guessing that - despite telling me there was nobody around to do it on the two occasions I rang - Debenhams did actually merge 4 cards onto 1, but they used the wrong one. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see whether they'll sort it out for me (AKA refund OH's money and put the remaining balance on the card I want it on as we only spent 120), otherwise I'll take the goods back to get a refund/re-pay on gift card. It's a pain but at least we haven't lost the money! I have been extremely careful to make sure I have kept the correct gift cards in my purse...

OH got some slippers (22, needed), socks (9, useful) and an Under Armour top (30, useful sort and he looked well fit in it ). I struggled a bit - found a few nice dresses to try on but most of them just showed too much cleavage or they just weren't for me. I love getting a bargain, but I hate sales shopping where everything is mixed in. I sent OH to the cafe whilst I queued to try things on and had a mooch around. In the end I got a nice maxi dress for the honeymoon (30, full price) and a Superdry jumper (10, reduced) for lounging about, and we got a new beach bag (18.50) which was also in the sale as ours is a bit naff really and we always take it down to the pool with us.

I got my palazzo pants from H&M; two pairs for 12.99 each but they scanned through at 6 each so I was extremely pleased with that. They feel like an upgrade from last year's - they have pockets. I did make up for it with a trip into Victoria's Secret - 3x knickers to match an existing bra and some PJ bottoms = 69. Their stuff is very expensive, but I don't feel so bad spending the money when I can buy knickers to match a bra I already have. Although I have to confess I did look at one pair and wonder where all the straps went - suffice to say I didn't get those ones. We didn't go into any other stores at all - just Subway for lunch as OH was on a mission!

The window wedges arrived so I popped one into the window frame and it's a brilliant close now; pulled really tight with no air getting through at all. The carpet spray has also arrived and I'm resisting the urge to test it out because I think we should keep the cats off it whilst it dries, and it's a bit late for that. Plus I probably need daylight to actually see what I'm doing, rather than finding out in the morning that it's really not a match.

I did the shopping this morning, about 35 for the week excluding some peppers (rubbish-looking selection in Sainsburys again!) and haddock which I'll buy fresh on the day we need it. I got a big gammon joint so that'll do us 2-3 days plus some lunches for me, and I also got some sausages which aren't in this week's meal plan but are lovely in pasta. I specifically tried to plan 'easy' meals for this coming week; because I've not been feeling 100% cooking has just not appealed at all and I feel bad leaving it all to OH, but these meals tend to be cheaper on ingredients as well. At some point I would like to get a 'price per meal' on my meal ideas list so I can specifically do cheap weeks! In August we'll need cat litter and biscuits (about 60) and that comes out of the household budget so if I can save elsewhere I'll be happy.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 22nd Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    As expected, I've gotta go back to Debenhams! Going with somebody else though and they're driving so just an issue of time rather than fuel. I'll be glad to get it sorted today even if it is a faff.

I'm still really pleased with the window 'fix', and now thinking of other small gains. I think I mentioned about potentially replacing the carpet in the downstairs toilet with laminate and then we'd put the cat litter trays in that room. That will mean keeping the door open and there's an extractor fan (none of our bathrooms have windows) which means that the room is always cool - and freezing in winter - despite the radiator. The other two bathrooms are similarly cold. I've found out that you can get back draught shutters for extractor fans which stop air coming in, so I'm going to look into that. It doesn't look as though it'll be expensive.

Because we're renting I'm conscious of not wanting to do too much, but at the same time we're lucky to have a great landlord and I hope they think that they are lucky with us as tenants!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 25th Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Sorted things out with Debenhams, and got another dress that I didn't see out the day before so that's the rest of the gift card balance used up. I have also bought a few bits on eBay so that's my holiday gear all sorted! I am making a (reasonable) assumption that my swimwear still fits...

The other thing I've found this week is some flat shoes that I might actually like. Usually find them boring, 'not me' and almost always ill fitting. I have been shopping for flat shoes for the past 3-4 years and always end up trying on 3-4" heels. Give me a glam pair of Irregular Choice heels any day. However I'm sick of having to change from heels to trainers to walk at lunch time and lets be honest heels aren't always the most comfortable. I picked up a 20 pair of Butterfly Twists and so far so good!

On Monday night I booked an airbnb for our anniversary in March. It's the same one we stayed in for a few days after our wedding this year, but the dates were unavailable so I messaged the host to check. I figured it's pay day next week plus a bonus so I'd look at booking something right away, but she got back to me immediately and made the dates available for us (just too far in advance for the website) so I've gone for it. I think I'm more excited for that than I am our honeymoon in September.

Oh, and I had to get a new tyre yesterday; picked up a screw and it was too close to the sidewall to repair. 75 so not the end of the world, and luckily they were all new enough that I only had to get one done and not the pair.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 30th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    We had our day out this weekend, and predictably spent a fortune. OH covered most of it, but I spent 6.40 on.. not sure what, and 63 on two hoodies. I'd taken a raincoat but it wasn't enough to keep me warm whilst we were queuing, and OH had insisted on leaving his in the car which was of course a trek away. Still, he'll get a lot of use out of the thinner hoodie and I'm claiming the thicker one.

At Alton Towers we did get a free NowTV SmartStick so that's going on the spare TV in our bedroom - means we can watch live TV in bed as the box in there at the moment doesn't allow it. Quite pleased with that. Also got a month's free movies pass. I did the food shop this weekend and almost came in under the gift card balance, except OH's coffee was on offer so I spent 6 stocking up on that. Yesterday my plans for a night out with a friend were cancelled, so although I got a takeaway it was still cheaper than going out. We've come in at 277 for the month on the food/household budget. I'd love to get it down to 250 in August!

My sunglasses arrived (I'm not sure if I said..) and I got the invoice so submitted the claim for the last 63 of that. I also claimed both physio appointments (100) but only one has hit my bank account so far. These combine to make me very glad it's pay day tomorrow!

In other news I am absolutely exhausted. The weekend didn't help - there was a lot of driving on Saturday, and out of the four of us in my car, only muggins here has a driving license - but I've been run down for a while. I did a Thriva blood test recently (like 3 weeks ago and my finger still hurts if I knock it!) which said I have slightly low levels of Vit D and B12. My back is still sore and stiffened up with all the driving/standing around at the weekend. We dog-sat for a friend yesterday but didn't take the dog for a walk unfortunately so although I got a lot of steps in on Saturday the whole weekend felt pretty sedentary. Honestly though I think I just need a break - and it's 5 weeks until our honeymoon.

August was going to be pretty chilled, but we have visitors mid month potentially so that's always a bit stressful even if they are family. I 'sorted' all the stuff in the spare room on Friday (having gotten fed up with work and taken the afternoon off ) but that pretty much just means separating out what we're keeping vs what we're not. There's so much to do before October so I'm going to need to find some time and energy from somewhere!
    Last edited by DD265; 30-07-2018 at 8:51 PM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 3rd Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Got paid - I love getting paid. Don't we all? Made a nice overpayment on the MBNA credit card, so the direct debit still has to go out but then it'll be a round 6k. The Barclaycard will drop to 2900 this month - nice to be in the lower bracket. I'd borrowed a bit out of savings so put that back, and have budgeted for everything including some pre-honeymoon beauty treatments on and the day after next pay-day. I'm going to do my best not to borrow from that pot.

A friend showed me a property for sale that OH and I both really like - and it could be a perfect home for us - but it's probably at the very top end (if not slightly out of) our budget and would need a lot of modernisation. I'm definitely in the 'as long as we can live with it initially that's fine' camp, but if we're maxing out on the mortgage how would we save to do it up? It's not the only one anyway and there are some cheaper properties that could be promising plus other areas we can look at.

A family member has previously offered to gift us a deposit, but we've always thought we'd have to pay everything off first etc. That doesn't seem to be the case so we've started a ball rolling and I have a call with a mortgage broker on Monday.

For that reason, I'm leaning towards shifting away from debt overpayments to savings - but it's too late for August. I have a lifetime ISA (with the minimum in it) and I gather that it takes 4-8 weeks to get the 25% bonus. So I'll save in my online saver, then the money can either be moved to the ISA or paid off the credit cards, depending on what helps us the most with our application.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,492 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the payments
    Do you just have the two cards?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 3rd Aug 18, 10:55 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    We have three between us, but OH's is just used for his travel costs and paid off in full so he can build some credit history. I get balance transfer offers on both cards regularly so my plan is to bounce balances around to keep them interest free if I have to.

My husband doesn't spend as much and lives within his means yet for some reason he lets me run the budget and has very little input. That said, he often gets surprised by his balance towards the end of the month (which is always still in four figures, I can get down to under 10!) because he doesn't keep an eye on it whereas I check mine most days.

I think a lot of it is different financial backgrounds; my parents had a high income but utilised a lot of credit, whereas his are more of a moderate income but very little credit. I'm not sure that either of us learnt to budget early on, and I've picked it up from this site.

We're going to need to establish what our outgoings will be if we buy, and then if the increase is significant, what each of us is willing to sacrifice to make that work. I'm prepared to give up a what feels like a lot, and as I both earn and spend more that makes sense, but it still needs to feel somewhat proportionate so we don't end up resenting each other.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 4th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    The first of the sacrifices was made this morning; I've cut the personal training down to 2x a week, saving 25 a week. I have already accepted that it'll go completely when we move (whether buying or rented), but if I have to give it up beforehand.. well there are other areas I'd prefer to cut first.

I'm looking at my hair and beauty treatments like 'how much do I actually want these?'. I won't change the hair appointment, but I may ditch some of the beauty stuff that I have booked for the honeymoon. I can do most of it at home, I just can't be bothered or end up not leaving enough time etc. I'm trying to decide how badly I want the individual eyelashes; there's upkeep too if I want to keep them going (I didn't after the wedding, and wished I had) but per wear they're more cost effective than a manicure. I think it'll depend how the call goes with the mortgage broker on Monday.

We have a spa treat this afternoon which was a wedding present. I'm still not sure exactly what we get out of it, but we'll find out when we get there. I'll be driving and it's not local, though I think I would've had to fill up the car mid next week anyway so I'll just suck it up and fill up tonight/tomorrow. OH paid to fill the car up last weekend so I can't complain.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 5th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    I can confirm that spas are not my thing but OH enjoyed it. Annoyingly we used an NCP car park and the charge was meant to be 10.50 for 3 hours but it charged us 14.50 - that's not even the price for the next time bracket! I took photos of everything and have submitted a complaint to NCP online requesting a refund.

I have moved the payment due date on my MBNA card to be on or after the 1st. I find it so frustrating that this currently goes out mid-month. This means that they won't take a direct debit in September, but I'll probably make the payment manually anyway.

I am looking at my other direct debits too. I can't bring myself to cancel the charity ones (25 a month) but I pay 17 per month for my hygienist appointments - I have 3x a year and I think they're normally charged at 72 each so I'm getting a small discount. If I paid as I went, I could claim it back from the cashplan but I only have 180 to claim against so if I needed dental work as well I'd run out of budget. Something to think about and tomorrow I'm going to check what the discount is or whether there's a cheaper service that will meet my needs.

I have started the prep for the convention in October. I need to get some cleaning supplies as mine are all long gone so I'm going to nip to B&M in a few minutes. Our local one (within walking distance) is a reasonable size and should have everything I need barring the acetone (for stubborn marks) which I'll have to get over a pharmacy counter. Then it's just a lot of time to get them cleaned up!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 6th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    I had the chat with the broker and it all seems feasible. Between OH and I we agreed maximum repayments of 750pcm, and a 95% mortgage for a total budget of 150k fits nicely below that - in theory as it wasn't based on us specifically - with a 5yr fixed rate of 3.45%. I'm happy with the idea of 750pcm and whilst it'd stretch us a little, particularly whilst replenishing savings/paying off credit cards/having work done on a house, I think we can still be nicely comfortable paying that amount.

We're going to wait until late September (if not a bit later) to do an application however; predominantly due to holidays as the broker goes on holiday this week then the week he's back, we're off, then he's off again (he's getting married/honeymooning so we can't complain!). However, it gives us a bit of time which is good because:
    - OH got his credit card at the beginning of July, feels a bit soon for another credit check
    - I paid off my loan and updated my name on the electoral roll but neither of these are on my credit file yet
    - We can save up some more
    - I can sort out the deposit with family and get it in our bank account
    - We can do more research into the area(s) we want to live

Resisting the urge to run full steam ahead, particularly as there's a property we like, but it's been listed a month already. If it's meant to be, it'll be.

Today I have cancelled the direct debit for the hygienist, though I'll still need to budget for it initially, then I'll get into the loop of claiming it back and putting the money back in the pot, and a direct debit for a mindfulness coach subscription. I'm not getting the most out of the coach right now but maybe I'll pick it up again in the future. In the mean time, I have the skills I learnt on her course a couple of years ago to fall back on.

Mom offered to pay for me to get my eyelashes done for our honeymoon, and she'll do the fake tan for me too, so that's 80 saved. If I do my own manicure, pedicure, threading and tinting then that's even more saved. Mom's also taking us to the airport, so we just have to arrange the taxi back (50) which is a similar cost to parking but we land in the early hours of the morning and I point blank refused to drive it. Normally I would and I hate it.
    Last edited by DD265; 06-08-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 9th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Over 600 in my savings account - feels good. That's the highest balance I've had in the account since June 2017, with it getting down as low as 24.15 in October 2017! Having cancelled the mindfulness coach subscription, I moved the money I'd budgeted for that across.

I've got my eye on a few other things to reduce down the line but for now I think the focus will shift to selling things; decluttering is going to make a move much easier! Still got some wedding bits (including my dress), some horse bits and some random stuff. The pony cleaning for the convention in October has started but it's a big task so realistically some will just have to go as they are. I also have some gym kit which the personal trainer has at his currently, and we've talked about trading it for gym sessions. I need to do some research on what I think I could sell it for, then we can agree what seems reasonable.

Hubby is away on Saturday overnight, so I'm hoping to make some more headway then!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 12th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Yesterday I got some free carrots from Sainsburys - I was using the scan-as-you-shop thing, and both weighscales were broken. When I asked for assistance she said just to take them. Two carrots, probably worth 15p - bargain! I was also treated to lunch by my mother, and then I flogged her some shoes I bought on eBay that didn't fit me that she loves so I did quite well on the whole.

Got some new trainers today. I'd worn out my old ones (I always manage to poke a hole above the big toe) and we get a 50% discount through Vitality which expires at the end of August. I used mine last year when the policy renewed, so I used OH's and got a pair of 2017-season Nike trainers for 26 inc postage. Can't complain!

I've just been looking up how to revive old nail polish because some of mine has gone really thick and lumpy. I'm going to try that before I replace it, as Vinylux is about 6 a bottle. At the minute I'm wearing a thermal polish which I love - when I'm warm it's blood red, then when I'm cold it goes a dark oxblood. Often the tips of my nails are cooler so it has a gradient effect which I just adore. I thought I'd best practise putting polish on again as I'll be DIYing it for our honeymoon, and I'd forgotten how much I like having colour on my nails; it makes me feel so 'put together' even in jeans and a hoody, with hair that I let air dry this morning.

I went to Pets At Home for more cat biscuits and they've stopped doing the big bags of AATU instore. The small ones were on offer so I managed to get the same weight for only a few pence more, and the lovely guy on the till naughtily gave me my 4-off VIP vouchers back so I can use them online as well to order a 3kg bag. Will have to watch the dates on those! The biscuits work out to 16 a month, it's just unfortunate that we always run out of litter and biscuits in the same month! I'm looking at one of the boys curled up on the floor next to me though and they're so worth it.

In other news.. not that much going on. Decided that I am probably not washing any more ponies and will settle for wiping and brushing. Been to the tip with some cardboard which means we can use the downstairs loo again, I've had a bit of a tidy up but have some cleaning to do. Our visitors are not coming next weekend so that pressure is off, but it would've been great to see them.

Due to needing litter, cat biscuits and toilet rolls all in the same month the food budget is looking a little stretched. We'll be having a lot of pasta for a couple of weeks, as we have loads of the Italian sausages in the freezer from the butchers! I need to find some other recipes to try with them; I think a stew could be lovely but it's not really stew weather.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,492 Thanks
    beanielou
    Our furry friends cost a lot but are worth it indeed

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 13th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Tonight I am a bit grumpy and tired after a tough work day, so we had a takeaway. I will cook the curry tomorrow, and just move the meal plan along a day.

I love my job and the company I work for, but there are definitely peaks and troughs in the workload, both in terms of volume and also complexity. I work in software support, in it's most basic terms, though the software is huge and my role is not limited to support. With it being holiday season there isn't a lot of wriggle room in the team, and as key users at our customers are also on holiday they can end up logging more cases. In the four years that I've worked at the company, the trend has been towards more complex more time consuming cases that can really test you. Personally I get frustrated when I feel like I have cases in my queue that aren't progressing (and should be), and the call I had this afternoon was on a topic that's well outside of my comfort zone so very draining.

I did however put a call in to NS&I about an old premium bond card that Mom dug out with my name on it. We haven't lived at that address since 2003! I've found out what I need to do to get the details up to date and gain control of the account so I'll do that this week. Not sure if there's anything in the account; it'd be awesome (and feel like free money) if there is!

I also got an email from E.On that our tariff ends at the end of September. OH looked into leccy costs recently but reckoned we were getting a good deal - I wasn't convinced so now I have an excuse to do it myself.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 14th Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Another stressful day at work - the whole week is set to pan out that way unfortunately and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the theme for the month. However! 31st August is my last working day before we head off on our honeymoon and I CANNOT WAIT.

I need to book the taxi to pick us up from the airport, and confirm the cat sitter. I think we have a couple of last minute bits of clothes shopping to do, and we need to decide whether we're taking hand luggage - in which case we'll buy sun cream at the airport - or putting a suitcase in the hold. We're flying with EasyJet and we have speedy boarding so we're guaranteed cabin luggage space and it saves waiting around... We need to test-pack I think.

Today I cancelled the excess beauty appointments, so I just have waxing booked in and the false eyelashes. I was able to transfer another 80+ to savings so I'm up to a round 700. When Mom pays me for the eyelashes I'll put that 60 in too. I will do my own nails and eyebrows; I'm more than capable I just get frustrated. I need to re-do my nails from before the weekend, but I'm hesitant to clean the polish off as I caught a cuticle on one side and it's still sore. I might just stick a plaster on that one so you can't tell it's chipped and re-do the rest.

The house we liked is sold subject to contract. We hadn't even seen a floor plan never mind seen it in person! It's a bit of an 'oh, that was the one we wanted' but we don't know if we actually wanted it and so I'm only slightly disappointed. I'm refraining from doing much in the way of searching before we've put the mortgage application in anyway - and we certainly won't be viewing any before then. I do get the impression that houses are selling fairly quickly in the area we're looking which is both a good and bad thing I guess. If it's meant to be it'll be, and as my OH says, sold subject to contract can mean a lot of things!

We're making plans for this weekend to see family, with the hope of having zero plans on the bank holiday weekend. I'd really like to paint the kitchen wall then if possible - the guy the landlord got to do it before we moved in used normal emulsion so you can't wipe it down - and clean the oven. Both jobs require us to shut the cats out of the room for a while which is a faff, so long weekend is the ideal time really.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 17th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    I spent a bit of time earlier this week re-listing the items I had on Sell My Wedding, as I couldn't find a way to bump them up the page. As I did that I put the same items on FB too. Had a couple of people interested across two items so we'll see if anything comes of it. I do have various things I'd like to get listed this weekend if possible. If by the time we're moving I still haven't sold everything, what's left will be donated. I am not bringing these items with us to our new home!

I'm pushing to only fill my car up twice between now and the end of the month which should be manageable and will free up about 60. Virtually all my direct debits have gone out, just a couple from the joint account outstanding, and I haven't spent anything on my card for a few days so I'm not getting the 'save the change' pennies into my savings account. If those sales come through, that'll go into savings at least.

We've just booked our flights to Dubai for November (these will be reimbursed) so now booking seats, travel insurance and parking all comes in to bump the cost up. I get cashback where possible, but you don't get much on flights unfortunately! I need to double check the paperwork for our honeymoon too; it's only a couple of weeks away now.

This week was very stressful and full on work wise so on the one hand I could do with catching up on some sleep, but on the other there are lots of things I'd like to get done; cleaning, decluttering, that kind of thing. Apparently, feeding the cats should be top of my priority list and I'm getting evils for being sat at my desk instead.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,492 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not to worry, I get the evils from my 3 all the time
    I think they think I am the food lady~~cant think why

***Keep plodding***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 24th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    It has felt like an extremely long week! I am shattered and so pleased that we have a three day weekend. So far we've only made plans for Sunday, but that means tomorrow will be chores and errands day.

Unfortunately my mobile phone needs some TLC so I'm going to take it into the market tomorrow; the local phone shop was closed today. Expecting a bill around 50 for that.

I've clocked an offer on eBay for 1-max FVF and I might use it. Of the three sales I had on the go, one dropped out, one is pending collection payment but the third party (family member) hasn't been in touch, and the last they were due to pay but haven't so I've chased. I never had these problems with eBay! The only downside is we go on our honeymoon on the 3rd so the timing is bad.

Other than that it's been fairly quiet. My sister repaid me some money owed - only 25 but it's covered a new phone case and the rest has gone into the 'spends' pot as that was virtually empty. I'm on track to fill my car up this weekend, it's a partial tank and it'll cover me for next week too so mission accomplished there. Somehow - though I'm properly scraping the barrel now - I still have the money saved for this month's personal training and my beauty appointments, both of which will be paid on/after pay day!

I'm hoping we'll get the flat properly cleaned & tidied this weekend, plus I'd love to get a coat of paint on the kitchen. Tonight I need to do the meal plan and shopping list, ready for tomorrow morning. For various reasons we've not used a lot of the meat we bought this week so I will check what we have and use that up.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 25th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    Phone is going to cost 35 - just a battery replacement. They think it's the battery that's swollen and is pushing the screen away. It still works fine so I'm hoping it'll be fine once the new battery is in. I'll go to pick it up shortly, and collect the Amazon parcel with my new phone case at the same time.

I did the food shop this morning - used Nectar points for most of Sainsbury's - and filled my car up for the last time this month. I've managed to spend under 150 on fuel this month which is great as I could re-allocate the remaining funds elsewhere; namely towards my phone repair.

I won 8 on the Euromillions last night - bought a ticket on a whim so I profited 5.50 - and treated myself to a bunch of flowers with it. I used to get flowers weekly (our local Tesco almost always has reduced ones) until we got the cats, so now it's a very rare 1/2 times a year treat.

I was checking my credit reports last night and spotted an open account on Equifax that should show as closed (from when I VT'd my car). It's showing a 0 balance and no missed payments etc so I don't think it's an issue, but I've rung the finance company and they'll correct it next week. Just bullying OH to check his too - I don't want any nasty shocks when we apply for the mortgage! If needs be we'll delay our application a bit longer.

Hoping for a quiet rest of the weekend, though I haven't got any dessert for our visitors tomorrow as I was going to check my recipe books. They will expect a dessert, so worst case I'll buy a Viennetta.
    Last edited by DD265; 25-08-2018 at 1:20 PM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 26th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    I picked my phone up yesterday - battery replaced and the screen appears fine. Next time I notice the battery playing up I'll get it replaced sooner. I pointed out to OH that I'd easily spend 35 a month on a contract phone if I got one so I can't complain really.

Last night I tried on all my holiday clothes, to see what I can/can't take. I have one bikini that fits, the other two are a bit small on the chest right now so I've ordered a second off eBay, hopefully it'll fit. I absolutely hate bikini shopping; often spend 200 ordering various styles in various sizes (all on sale/clearance) and then end up returning the lot. I am envious of friends who can pick up a triangle bikini from Primark and it just fit! This one will work out to about 37. If it doesn't fit I'll go shopping on Friday night, or maybe I'll suck it up and just take one, but given I'll spend most of the week in it, one never feels like enough.

I am halfway through cleaning the oven; put the stuff in last night and have done the grills this morning, just got the oven itself to finish off. You can't use the gel cleaner on the glass (though I'm sure I have in the past) so I'll use baking soda which I have in. Still got the kitchen surfaces and hob to do, as well as a once-over in the bathrooms.

I also need to send a chasing email to NCP as we still haven't had confirmation of our refund and they didn't give a timescale, will do that now. A job for tomorrow is our electricity tariff; I did have a brief browse but didn't find a good enough deal to go for it there and then, then there was confusion around the smart meter etc. It'd be so much easier if we had access to the meter room!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

6,030Users online

Martin's Twitter