Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 19th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,634Posts
    • 5,302Thanks
    MrsSave
    Mrs S.....life after debt
    • 19th May 18, 9:45 PM
    Mrs S.....life after debt 19th May 18 at 9:45 PM
    I've been on here for 4 years now (I think I actually had another name before so it's actually longer). If you're super bored, here are my diaries so far!

Diary 1: MrsS is getting serious http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5045594

Diary 2: Debt free before 35 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5286098

Diary 3: A pound stretching maternity
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495440

Diary 4: Mrs S, family life and debt
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5687273

So, why the new diary I hear you ask...

In February I was super lucky to be able to pay off the last of my debt (other than the mortgage). I am now finding it difficult to stick to budget and save! I keep trying to remind myself that I'm not a multi millionaire and can't buy what I want, when I want.

A little about me

I'm now 34. I have 2 boys, one 4 year old and the littlest is a year and a half. I changed careers last year from teaching to becoming a finance assistant (the irony ). I now work 3 days a week, earn a lot less but am a million times happier (still not managing to keep on top of the housework though ).

Mr and Mrs S???? That's the million dollar question! We separated right at the beginning of the year. Things have been totally up and down since. We have started getting on so much better and are trying counselling (and that's not cheap!). As things are going, it's looking positive that Mr S will be moving back in, but as they say.....don't count your chickens!

My financial situation

Other than the mortgage I am debt free. I will post an soa later, but I am really struggling to stick to a budget each month. I guess I always thought that the day me debt would disappear I'd have so much more spare each month. That's not the case!! I am starting to pay more bills annually instead of monthly, and am managing to save for things like Christmas and birthdays. It's day to day spends that are the struggle, such as groceries, entertainment, the boys and personal spends. I really need to get a grip on these.

I've seen other diaries where targets are posted daily/weekly and that seems like such a good idea. I'm going to give this a go.

Another issue is saving. I am not saving what I should (some months I'm not 'saving' anything - unless you count things such as birthdays). I'm going to try and fix that. I do have an emergency fund of 2,000 in Premium Bonds (haven't won a penny with them ), and just over 150 in another savings account (My priority savings goal is for a new shed, I have around 50% of the roof left on mine ).

I don't want this first post to be super long (though be prepared, there will be some ). My next steps are to sort out my SOA and set some goals from there.
    Finally debt free (other than the mortgage) - 05/02/18
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S.....life after debt' below:
Page 8
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 19th Oct 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 5,302 Thanks
    MrsSave
    The joys of unexpected expenses. 200 worth this week

The positive is that I have managed to jiggle things around in YNAB so that I can pay it without touching my savings. Super happy about that. It means pulling my belt in a little more (feels like the story of my life ) but I am genuinely happy that my finances are ok to the point I've managed to deal with this.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned that I'm also getting a pay rise in work. Not a huge one, but an increase nonetheless. It has already been spent though Ds1 has been having swimming lessons since he was very young so we've now decided to start ds2 swimming. My pay rise is mainly going to pay for his lessons (there should be a little left over afterwards!).

I've had a good shot at Christmas shopping this week. I decided to make the most of my week off and go for it. It's really nice knowing that the money has been saved during the year so no trying to find money to cover things. All I have to think about is sticking to budgets I've left a chunk of money in both boys' budgets, as I know that on the run up to Christmas, ds1 especially will see things he likes and I want to make sure that he does get something that he will write on his final Father Christmas list.

I've also picked up things like their Christmas jumpers, christmas pjs and a Winter coat each (all from Asda).

My plan for today is to have a proper chill out and enjoy my child free, chore free and shopping free day off. Up early tomorrow for a weigh in (I lost half a stone last week - I'm amazed!) and then I'm taking the boys shopping for a few Halloween bits (it's budgeted for!).
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 4th Dec 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 5,302 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Almost 2 months since my last post!! Where has that time gone. I've actually spent a lot of it in hotel rooms, I've started travelling more and more for work. I've spent 7 of the last 14 days in 4 different hotel rooms!! The one I'm in tonight and tomorrow is definitely a plus though, I struck lucky!!!

The last 2 months have also been emotionally draining. My dad has spent 4 weeks in hospital and ds2 also decided to pay a visit. Thankfully ds2 bounced back pretty quickly, 4 weeks on my dad is thankfully starting to improve.

Once I get back from this break away, I have no more work trips away until the new year. That's good news as I really need to catch up with office work before the Christmas break.

Money wise, things aren't brilliant, but they aren't awful either. I think I'll always wish that they are better but can always see that the could be far worse. I mentioned a little pay rise in my last post, there's talk of another by the end of January. Nothing is guaranteed, but I'm super happy that there's even talk of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from earning big bucks now, but every little payrise means that extra little bit each month which I'm so amazed at!!!

Christmas is under control, and was thankfully saved up for during the year. It's also ds2's birthday very soon which has also been saved up for. I've looked at and adjusted my budget for 2019 so I'm hoping it will be a good year!!!
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 4th Dec 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 5,720 Thanks
    debtaghh
    I was wondering where you had gone.

Sorry to hear about your dad and ds2 x
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 4th Jan 19, 4:58 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 5,720 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hope all is well Mrs Save x
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 13th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 5,302 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Thank you for checking in Debtaghh

We're 2 weeks into the new year and things seem to be going pretty well I know how quickly things can change, though, so I'm just counting my blessings. Another 3 weeks and I will have been debt free for a whole year. That just feels so amazing. I won't lie and say it's so straight forward staying debt free once you're out of it, I think it will always be a struggle as I'm a spender by nature, but I feel far more in control of things at the moment.

I did receive the pay rise I mentioned in my last post (will see it in my pay at the end of the month). I also had a Christmas bonus and I've increased my hours a little, but to be worked from home whenever suits me rather than going in to the office. I'm looking forward to my wages at the end of the month to see what the pay rise and extra hours will mean.

I'm really pleased that where I work don't pay early in December so I feel on track with January's budgeting. It's a 5 week food shop month so I'm going to have to be very careful from here until February, but it's definitely do-able.

I think other than that life is just plodding along! All pre-Christmas illnesses are all in the process of being put right. Things are going really well with Mr S (well, we didn't kill each other over Christmas ) and I've only got 3 days in work (and a couple of hours at home) to do before I have another week off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter