Mrs S.....life after debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sitting waiting for the plumber. Haven't phoned welsh water yet, it's on my to-do list. I'm worried that the leak is going to be under the floor or something similar which will cost a small fortune.

Mr S has just text asking if I fancy camping this weekend as a surprise for the boys. He bought a tent around a year ago, second hand, and has recently picked up a couple of bits like a stove and table in car boots. The only camping we've done though is one night in the back garden (I say we, me and ds2 we're tucked up in our beds :rotfl: ). I've had a quick look and found a local campsite with availability for £13. The reviews are good, so I guess it's a good way to see if it will become a regular occurrence. I bought a few extra bits for a BBQ with the weekly shop (and still came in 50p under budget :j ) so we'll be able to take them for Saturday night, only a couple of beers and a few bits for breakfast to find. I think I need to google camping tips (unless anyone here has any????). Camping with an 18 month old is going to be fun :rotfl:

If we enjoy I'm going to set up a camping part to ynab so that a little goes in each month so that there'll be enough to cover a few nights away from Easter to the end of September.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Scott-Weiland
    Options
    MrsSave wrote: »
    Thanks. It was just over £9 for the chicken. I think I’m really going to have to pull my belt in with the food shop so need to re evaluate this one!

No problem its an idea to save money worth a try. What area of the country are you based in??
  • MrsSave
    Options
    No problem its an idea to save money worth a try. What area of the country are you based in??

I'm in Wales, quite far west. I've got nothing like Herons nearby.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    The plumber has been and gone. I should be getting the bill from him this evening. It was as good as it could be really. The upstairs toilet was leaking. It was all contained to the cistern and unless the lid was off you couldn't hear it so I had no clue!! The plumber changed stuff (that's my limited knowledge of plumbing and toilets exhausted) so I'm now going to be checking the meter from time to time to see what the usage is like. I'm also going to phone welsh water tomorrow after work to see about their leakage allowance. Fingers crossed I'll be able to claim something towards the bill.

Mr S and I had counselling today. Our next one isn't until the end of July now (thankfully that will save a few £££, will go towards the toilet repair bill!!!). I take it as a good sign that the sessions are starting to be further apart.

We paid for ds1's birthday present tonight. He's getting a new bike as he has outgrown him. It cost £64 so my share is £32.

The plumber's bill has come through whilst I've been typing this - just under £88. It could have been so much worse!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good news on the leak, sounds like mine. Hope you get good news from welsh water .
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Camping with a toddler is great fun, especially if there are two of you! No specific tips, but don't expect a huge amount of sleep. Wear them out so they fall asleep with exhaustion and be greatful for every hour's sleep once the dawn chorus begins.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I phoned Welsh Water and may be eligible for a leakage allowance :j I gave them a water reading today, will be giving them one next Wednesday and the Wednesday after. I'm guessing they'll then look at that usage and compare with what I had used with the leak.

I hate this weather. I'm a proper Autumn/Winter girl and love wrapping up warm in a big coat, scarf, etc. I hate this heat. The positive about work was that I had a fan facing me all day. I live in quite a modern house, so it's super insulated and I'm literally melting :rotfl:

Mr S has booked the campsite for Saturday night. I think he's super excited. He's been texting me pictures of lists he's writing :rotfl: Aldi have camping things starting tomorrow so he's heading there's before work! I'll pick up a couple of bits for food (and wine.....I'll definitely need wine!!) after work tomorrow and freeze them so they can defrost in the cool bag on Saturday. I'm trying to tell him not to buy everything now, and see how our first trip goes. He's been desperate for so long to go camping!!

Pay day.........30 hours to go!!! My accounts are all looking rather sad. The plumber was paid yesterday, and I've paid the Tesco credit card (in full) this evening. I've got a little cash in my purse (about £15 I think) and have sold some baby toys on Facebook which should be picked up this week for £30 so that should see us through the camping with leftovers.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good news on the leakage allowance , that's exactly what I had to do , 2 readings a week apart. Enjoy your camping night, sounds great fun , especially with 2 little ones .
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I have my payslip.......only a few hours until the wages hit the account. I'm so ready to start July with a clean slate. I desperately need to get my head back in it and get serious about budgeting again!!

I popped to Aldi on the way home from work tonight and spent £22!! £12 of it was for camping food, th rest a top up shop!! It should make next week's shop a little cheaper.

Mr S picked up a load of camping things from Aldi this morning (including my favourite wine - bonus points) and has said he'll pay for everything he bought :)
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Yay...payday yesterday. I've moved it around the accounts and done my ynab budgeting. Im ready for July!!

Camping tonight. We've got all our food ready I just need to pack clothes for tonight and tomorrow, a couple of toiletries and we're ready to go! I was given rhubarb by someone at work yesterday, so will make that into a crumble in a little while ready to take for pudding after dinner.

Ds1 is going to a party first. I ordered 10 for £10 books from the Works a little while ago so will be wrapping 2 of them. Both boys are then having their haircut en route to camping. I'm trying to stretch their haircuts a little, so hoping they can have their next one just before the new school term starts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business