Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 17th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 288Posts
    • 37Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Overhead Power cable compensation
    • 17th May 18, 5:52 PM
    Overhead Power cable compensation 17th May 18 at 5:52 PM
    I'm looking into claiming for the power lines that run over my garden. I haven't a clue who to turn to so I am looking to someone who has already done this or knows a thing or two about how to approach this.
    I've asked opinions of family and friends and it seems to be a split as to if the cables are on the property. We have a public pavement, about 3-4 feet wide between our house and our garden and the cables are riiiiigggghhhhtttt on the edge of my garden.
    Do I have anything to lose if I go ahead with a possible claim?
Page 1
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 17th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 17th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:23 PM
    I am sure someone who knows better will be here soon, but I am sure I have read that if you buy the property with the power lines already in situ then you have no recourse.
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 20th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    • 20th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 20th May 18, 9:47 PM
    I'm looking into claiming for the power lines that run over my garden. I haven't a clue who to turn to so I am looking to someone who has already done this or knows a thing or two about how to approach this.
    I've asked opinions of family and friends and it seems to be a split as to if the cables are on the property. We have a public pavement, about 3-4 feet wide between our house and our garden and the cables are riiiiigggghhhhtttt on the edge of my garden.
    Do I have anything to lose if I go ahead with a possible claim?
    Originally posted by pennypincher2013
    Don't expect a lot....and if its money you are after because they don't improve the view, expect nothing.

Approach your local DNO (distribution Network Operator) and tell them the above details, and that you are after a wayleave payment
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 21st May 18, 8:06 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 21st May 18, 8:06 AM
    • 21st May 18, 8:06 AM
    AFAIK to qualify for compensation the pole has to be on the property, or the wires running directly over it. If the wires run near to your property, but not actually on or over it then you wont but there's no harm in asking.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,999Posts Today

6,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin