Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Japan: train departs 25 seconds early, company apologises

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japan-train-departs-25-seconds-early-company-apologises-for-truly-inexcusable-mistake
Hilarious - imagine that happening here!
Genuine question - why is it so difficult to get trains to run on time? German trains are terrible, Swiss not bad, others I dunno. But I always found it bizarre that, as a sales rep in the 80s with a car on public roads in the Midlands, I could time my journeys more accurately than train companies seemed to be able to, even though they controlled the traffic...

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There's more traffic on the roads now than the 80's. ;)

Great Western for example operates 3,800 miles of track. A little more complex than driving a car a few miles.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Yeah, but they control all traffic on that track. They decide what goes on from where and to where, what route it uses, and so on. The Japanese seem to be on top of it.

In the 80s once I'd got familiar with my patch I could work out to the minute when I'd get from A to B in my car despite having none of that.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japan-train-departs-25-seconds-early-company-apologises-for-truly-inexcusable-mistake
    Hilarious - imagine that happening here!
    Genuine question - why is it so difficult to get trains to run on time? German trains are terrible, Swiss not bad, others I dunno. But I always found it bizarre that, as a sales rep in the 80s with a car on public roads in the Midlands, I could time my journeys more accurately than train companies seemed to be able to, even though they controlled the traffic...

It's probably down to Labour voters who are all Stalinists who hate jews and want to take your money from you. And people under 50. And women.

Have I missed anyone out?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Arklight wrote: »
    It's probably down to Labour voters who are all Stalinists who hate jews and want to take your money from you. And people under 50. And women.

Have I missed anyone out?

Yes. Labour also hate men over 50 if they have any money. The white working class. The middle class. Americans. Ethnic minorities who aren't Labour members. They hate pretty much anyone who has money and doesn't give it to them.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    As for why the trains work differently, it's because in Japan a train is a device for getting lots of people from A to B, whereas in the UK it's a device for extracting money from the taxpayer.
  • westernpromise
    edited 18 May 2018 at 12:22PM
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Yes. Labour also hate men over 50 if they have any money. The white working class. The middle class. Americans. Ethnic minorities who aren't Labour members. They hate pretty much anyone who has money and doesn't give it to them.

Jews, married parents, children who attend any good school, property owners, drivers, people with private pensions, people who live in a house in council tax band B or higher, people who work in private industry, white farmers, victims of !!!!!philia where the criminals are Labour voters, taxpayers, small businessmen, large businessmen, countries that uphold western values, anyone who opposes terrorism, users of the NHS (the NHS exists to benefit the staff, not the patients), people who live in the south-east, people who save, people who die with any personal wealth accumulated, members of the armed forces, especially officers.

There are probably others they hate but there's a start.
  • Arklight
    Jews, married parents, children who attend any good school, property owners, drivers, people with private pensions, people who live in a house in council tax band B or higher, people who work in private industry, white farmers, victims of !!!!!philia where the criminals are Labour voters, taxpayers, small businessmen, large businessmen, countries that uphold western values, anyone who opposes terrorism, users of the NHS (the NHS exists to benefit the staff, not the patients), people who live in the south-east, people who save, people who die with any personal wealth accumulated, members of the armed forces, especially officers.

There are probably others they hate but there's a start.

You really don't have much to do during the day, do you?
  • westernpromise
    The Royal family; journalists who ask Labour politicians difficult questions; (tbc)
  • Arklight
    Malthusian wrote: »
    As for why the trains work differently, it's because in Japan a train is a device for getting lots of people from A to B, whereas in the UK it's a device for extracting money from the taxpayer.

Once in the 18 months I lived in Tokyo the metro was 5 minutes late and I was given a shomiesho (certificate) on exiting the station. This is to give to your boss to excuse yourself.

I wasn't actually late for work but it made a nice memento.

To be fair though, the Tokyo metro runs a far less frequent service than Transport for London and the trains have much higher capacity. London is running repeated small capacity trains over narrow platforms on an ancient tunnel system that was never designed for the capacity it has to serve.

Often when you look at the "severe delays" they are always advertising in London on various lines, those delays are less than 5 minutes per train and are more about trying to get passengers to use other lines. They are actually doing a pretty good job. It's miles better than New York.

The point where Japan, and most other countries, really shine compared to the UK, is with their national train network. It's state owned, state run, affordable, modern and efficient.

The total opposite of the Tories' extortionate privatised mess of endlessly delayed and broken down trains that the UK is lumbered with.
  • westernpromise
    edited 18 May 2018 at 12:47PM
    Private property, when owned by others....anyone tactless enough to point out Labour's hypocrisy and moral incompetence; anyone who thinks the seven deadly sins ( pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth) actually are sins rather than virtues....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure