Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • cliffh
    • By cliffh 17th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Overseas Holiday Home Insurance?
    • #1
    • 17th May 18, 2:57 PM
    Overseas Holiday Home Insurance? 17th May 18 at 2:57 PM

    I've recently bought a holiday home overseas and would like to get it insured.

    Does anyone have any recommendations on good companies to use please?

    Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 17th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • 25,788 Posts
    • 12,999 Thanks
    • #2
    • 17th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • #2
    • 17th May 18, 9:49 PM
    Are there any companies in the country where the property is located?
    I don't think a UK insurance company would insure a property overseas.

    A quick Google revealed a few ads of companies offering cover but I can't comment on their offerings.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 17th May 18, 9:56 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    • #3
    • 17th May 18, 9:56 PM
    • #3
    • 17th May 18, 9:56 PM
    Could the estate agent not point you in the right direction?
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 18th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    • #4
    • 18th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • #4
    • 18th May 18, 7:07 AM
    There are lots of brokers offering this - some do only UK second homes, some do both UK and overseas.
    I recommend you try A-plan which trades as
    Also Saga do it if you are over 50 - not surprisingly as older people tend to buy this sort of thing.

    Take careful note of the occupancy requirements - how often you are required to be there.
    Keep records of each time you are there and make sure you buy at least something with a debit/credit card while there as this acts as "proof" of your visit should the issue be raised in the event of a claim.
    Also depending on where the property is, note the "wintererisation" requirements to prevent pipes freezing and bursting. Usually something like the heating must be kept on controlled by a thermostat to maintain the place at X degrees C with the loft hatch left open.
    Finally as with any insurance it will be different price if it is only used by you/your family compared to if it is on occasions rented out.

    Edit: some may also require certain electric items normally left running 24/7 to be switched off when the place is not occupied - typically fridges/freezers.
    Last edited by Uxb; 18-05-2018 at 7:26 AM.
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 18th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    • #5
    • 18th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • #5
    • 18th May 18, 8:28 AM
    A lot of UK insurers will offer cover on overseas holiday homes. They tend to only want to look at if it they cover your UK home as well so Id start by contacting your existing insurer. Vasek I think will cover it in isolation or Towergate for example.
    • stephen160
    • By stephen160 18th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    • #6
    • 18th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • #6
    • 18th May 18, 6:01 PM
    I have a holiday home in Orlando Florida and have tried several times over the years to find an insurance company in the uk to insure it, but failed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

4,346Users online

Martin's Twitter