Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Temby
    • By Temby 17th May 18, 1:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Temby
    Barclaycard Incorrectly Updating Credit File
    • 17th May 18, 1:47 PM
    Barclaycard Incorrectly Updating Credit File 17th May 18 at 1:47 PM
    Hi, Long time lurker first time poster...

I'm hoping someone can advise please.

I was in an accident around 4 years ago the carry on from which meant I defaulted on
    around 4 accounts with different companies. During this time I have made no payment or agreements with any of them.

I am finally in a position where I can begin to sort it all out and before I make contact and arrangements I wanted to query what Barclaycard has been doing.

For 54 months they have been reporting a 6 month later marker and never a default. Is this correct? They are the only once to have done this.

If I now to want to start the process of repairing my credit am I right in saying I should get them to report the default back to the original date? And that would be less harmful to my credit as it will drop off in less than 2 years where as these 6 month markers stay for 6 years?

Any advice about what is best or how to fix this would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 17th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 16,196 Posts
    • 23,068 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 17th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 17th May 18, 1:52 PM
    The fact that Barclaycard have decided not to default you is less harmful to your credit record.

Defaults stay on your credit record for six years.
  • National Debtline
    • 17th May 18, 3:38 PM
    • 17th May 18, 3:38 PM
    Hi Temby and welcome to the forum

Although a default isn't a great thing to have on your record, you need to weigh up that a debt will be removed from your credit file 6 years after the date of the default. If a default is never registered the debt will be removed 6 years after the date the account is closed. By not having a default recorded this debt is going to be hanging around for a lot longer.

The guidelines state that a default should usually be issued when arrears are between 3 and 6 months. If you ask Barclaycard to add the default you should specify you want it backdating to the correct date. I hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,970Posts Today

9,353Users online

Martin's Twitter