Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Mjames123
    • By Mjames123 17th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Divorce, Male Name Change and Passport
    • #1
    • 17th May 18, 12:47 PM
    Divorce, Male Name Change and Passport 17th May 18 at 12:47 PM
    Good day, I am currently going through my divorce and have a court date 31st May (no attendance required) as divorce judge has confirmed that it will be granted.

    My current passport is damaged.

    After my divorce I have been planning to change my last name.

    I need to travel for work within the next 2-3 months.

    So I would like to apply for a new passport in a new surname. But can I do this ?
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 11,357 Posts
    • 15,093 Thanks
    • #2
    • 17th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • #2
    • 17th May 18, 1:06 PM
    Presuming you mean by deed poll, google tells me this:

    "Provided you proceed to notify such record-holders immediately upon receipt of
    your Deed Poll
    and other documents, we would advise that
    whole process will
    between 3 and 8 weeks. It will usually
    HM Passport Office 3-6 weeks to process
    new passport in
    2019 wins: Still waiting...
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 18th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • #3
    • 18th May 18, 8:43 PM
    You will need to submit a change of name via deed poll and at least two pieces of evidence that you are using the new name for all purposes (for example payslips, driving licence, NHS records).
    • newbutold
    • By newbutold 24th May 18, 9:22 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    • #4
    • 24th May 18, 9:22 PM
    • #4
    • 24th May 18, 9:22 PM
    When a woman reverts back to her maiden name upon divorce, they dont need to do it via deed poll. Some places want to see your decree absolute as proof others like DWP & HMRC dont ask to see anything (well they didt ask me).

    If you changed your name upon marriage and are reverting back to original name upon divorce, surely you would do it in the same way as a woman does?
    Last edited by newbutold; 24-05-2018 at 9:24 PM. Reason: Remove apostrophes are iPad fault still present
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 25th May 18, 2:25 PM
    • 19,993 Posts
    • 46,303 Thanks
    • #5
    • 25th May 18, 2:25 PM
    • #5
    • 25th May 18, 2:25 PM
    OP, can you clarify, are you changing back to your birth name or changing to a name you've never had before?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,746Posts Today

8,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v?

  • If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi?

  • Follow Martin