Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 17th May 18, 11:46 AM
    • 988Posts
    • 309Thanks
    Mchambers
    Warning - being scammed by John Abraham
    • 17th May 18, 11:46 AM
    Warning - being scammed by John Abraham 17th May 18 at 11:46 AM
    Received a phone call from John Abraham to advise me that my broadband was being compromised. He said he was from BT and gave me his number as 02032894184. He told me to switch of my broadband devices off. I did a google search and found the phone number was not be trusted. I phoned my ISP to advise. I did not follow his instructions and effectively ignored him. Does anyone know how I can escalate ?
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 17th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 4,657 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 17th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:53 PM
    It's a known scam. As long as you didn't follow 'John's' instructions to allow him access to your computer (so he could fix the problem/rob you blind) you'll be ok.

What did your ISP say when you reported it? They may have their own protocols for dealing with these ratbags.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th May 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,262 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 17th May 18, 12:59 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:59 PM
    Just block the number. They'll have nothing to do with BT.

You can report to the ICO but as they aren't actually genuine businesses then it won't make much difference. As soon as one number gets shut down another will pop up. The likelihood is that the number is not genuine either.

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 20,943 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 17th May 18, 2:10 PM
    Does anyone know how I can escalate ?
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    Who are you going to report to? You've just received a scam call. Next time, you'll know simply to replace the receiver on such calls.
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 17th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 17th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 17th May 18, 2:30 PM
    Escalate as in 'compensation'?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,262 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 17th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 17th May 18, 2:39 PM
    Escalate as in 'compensation'?
    Originally posted by LABMAN

Only if it was their bank calling......

• peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 17th May 18, 3:06 PM
    • 26,288 Posts
    • 35,486 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 17th May 18, 3:06 PM
    • 17th May 18, 3:06 PM
    We get 2 or 3 a day from the BT Technical department saying our broadband line is at fault, when told we don't have broadband on that line the phone goes dead. Strange how the windows tecnical department has morphed into bt.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 17th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    • 17th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:07 PM
    I suppose you could escalate things by ignoring him more pointedly. Apart from that, let it go.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 17th May 18, 4:10 PM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 5,072 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 17th May 18, 4:10 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:10 PM
    Received a phone call from John Abraham to advise me that my broadband was being compromised. He said he was from BT and gave me his number as 02032894184. He told me to switch of my broadband devices off. I did a google search and found the phone number was not be trusted. I phoned my ISP to advise. I did not follow his instructions and effectively ignored him. Does anyone know how I can escalate ?
    BT probably owe you some sort of compensation, as it's their phone network the scammers are using. Don't rest until this is escalated to a higher power. Your MP, Trump and Xi Jinping would be a start.

Bear in mind it's fairly simple for scammers to spoof outgoing phone numbers now.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 17th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 1,580 Thanks
    eschaton
    No .
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 18th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I did not follow his instructions and effectively ignored him.

So what is there to escalate ?
    Somebody naughty calling you ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 18th May 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,179 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Well it's an attempt at fraud, so the only way to escalate it would be to call the police. However, they are unlikely (and when I say "unlikely" I mean "it is completely beyond the bounds of all possibility") that they would do anything about it. There are tens of thousands of these happening every day and in your case you didn't even get caught by it.
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 18th May 18, 7:40 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    Autumnella
    Report it to Action Fraud.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 19th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 12,482 Posts
    • 16,890 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Only if it was their bank calling......
    Originally posted by mije1983
    This OP has a history of posting things about Barclays (see their other threads for more), so I wonder if this is their next thing?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 19th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,556 Posts
    • 6,655 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    I get these regularly and have great fun with them.
    Windows?
    Yes they need cleaning
    Computer?
    You are going to give me a free computer? How lovely.
    There's a problem with my computer?
    Oh! I'd better get one so I can have a problem with it.
    etc etc. . .
    While I'm wasting their time,they're not annoying someone else.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 19th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    This OP has a history of posting things about Barclays (see their other threads for more), so I wonder if this is their next thing?
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    You should see his posts on TSB as well, he thinks he will be getting loads of wonga.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 19th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    Tallaght
    The phone number goes back a few years when it was running a romance scam.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,466Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin