PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I buy a share of the property I’m renting?

Options
Alterastro
Alterastro Posts: 3 Newbie
First Anniversary
edited 16 May 2018 at 7:44PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all
Looking for a bit of advice...
After a failed marriage five years ago, I had to sell my house and subsequently moved into a private rented house, where I’ve been since. My landlord moved to South Africa, but we’re in regular contact and I’m a model tennant :-)
I have a bit of a problem that I’d like to buy somewhere, but I’ve just turned 55 so my options are limited due to the mortgageable years I have left, meaning I would have to downgrade and mortgage payments would be crippling.
I haven’t approached my landlord, but had an idea that I could offer to buy 50% of the property i’m In (and obviously still pay a reduced rent for their share). The question is, is this feasible? What are the potential pitfalls and problems? Would I get a mortgage for 50% of a property? If my landlord or I decided we wanted out in the future, is there a market for 50% for either party?
Otherwise, I’m not sure what to do.... do I just keep on renting privately until I can’t work any more - and then what???
Advice and suggestions gratefully accepted!
Thanks
Nick

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alterastro wrote: »
    Would I get a mortgage for 50% of a property? If my landlord or I decided we wanted out in the future, is there a market for 50% for either party?
    No. And your lender couldn't exactly repossess and sell 50% of the property. So it's a non-starter, assuming you need a mortgage.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,912 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Alterastro wrote: »
    H
    Otherwise, I!!!8217;m not sure what to do.... do I just keep on renting privately until I can!!!8217;t work any more - and then what???

Hopefully you are building up some pension provision for when you retire ?

Many people live in private rentals during retirement - they use your pension/savings to pay rent and if necessary claim housing benefit
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Otherwise, I!!!8217;m not sure what to do.... do I just keep on renting privately until I can!!!8217;t work any more - and then what???

Sorry to hear about your situation.

You'll need to buy 100% of a property somehow. Is there a cheaper area you could move to? Something small like a one bed flat you could buy? Or someone you know that you could buy together with? (done well this arrangement can work).

If you really have no buying options, you may have to start planning retirement around this - but perhaps you'll be able to find something as you still have 12 or so years left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure