Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suzipp
    • By suzipp 16th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    suzipp
    Am I over researching when house buying
    • 16th May 18, 6:56 PM
    Am I over researching when house buying 16th May 18 at 6:56 PM
    I am in the process of finding a property but confused of the correct way of going about it.
    I have offered asking price and not been successful. I have offered then found problems so withdrew. I have found properties I like but due to past experiences of withdrawing from offers, which I hated doing, I spend time researching with the risk of the property having an offer accepted on it prior to completing my search. Also, finding out before offer being accepted saves money on solicitors and survey should things be not right with the purchase.

How does the forum go about buying and have they regretted not researching prior to purchase?
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th May 18, 7:09 PM
    • 25,777 Posts
    • 69,795 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th May 18, 7:09 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:09 PM
    What are you researching/finding that means finding problems before you've hired professional solicitors and surveyors to do the actual due diligence for you?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • suzipp
    • By suzipp 16th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    suzipp
    • 16th May 18, 8:04 PM
    Suzipp
    • 16th May 18, 8:04 PM
    Hi
    Researching the area/property prior to making an offer...rights of way over the land, land ownership, local plan for development, drainage, noticing drainage from neighbour onto land, anything which may cause issue with purchasing the property and could be expensive to correct or be charged by solicitor later down the line should I withdraw. Rather than just seeing the aesthetics of the building and offering straight off.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 25,777 Posts
    • 69,795 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:37 PM
    You think that drainage coming from the neighbours is a problem?

The local development plan is a massive document that must cover some significant acreage of land. How many times does one need to read it?

I don't think there's anything wrong with research, but I do think that you need to know what to do with the knowledge you gain. Let ts of people just run scared because they don't know the answers to these issues or they can't see that a survey is a working document, not something for a tick in a box and then the filing cabinet. The survey points to remedies.

No house is perfect, they all need maintenance sooner or later, they all come with some form of compromise; I bet even Branson has neighbour issues somewhere. You can't homework your way out of potential issues; more genuine knowledge probably reduces what is perceived to be an issue because you know how to solve those issues. And that's the stuff you learn mainly by owning a property.

Homework doesn't replace the experience of living somewhere. Half the battle is won by having good neighbours anyway.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,587Users online

Martin's Twitter