Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harrym1byt
    • By harrym1byt 16th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 10Thanks
    harrym1byt
    Warm Home discount and comparison
    • 16th May 18, 1:23 PM
    Warm Home discount and comparison 16th May 18 at 1:23 PM
    I have asked before and I will ask again...

Could the Energy Club Alert, please be adapted, for it to be able to take account of an entitlement to a Warm Home Discount?

Unless the 140 of the WHD is taken into account within the comparison calculation, the comparison is of limited value - it becomes a manual process of wading through the suggested alternative suppliers, to find one both cheaper and which offers the WHD.
Page 1
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 16th May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 16th May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:32 PM
    There is a selection for WHD only, but this does not deduct the 140. It is the big 6, plus the odd small one, which offer this. It is not difficult to deduct 140 from the ones who offer it, to work out which will be the cheapest.

Some of the smaller ones (I will name Utiltia and Boost) have had issues which their WHD and just because you are entitled to it, does not mean you will get it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th May 18, 2:13 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 16th May 18, 2:13 PM
    • 16th May 18, 2:13 PM
    As said above, do your normal comparison search, note the annual prices(s) and then check the WHD box.

TBH if you're eligible for the WHD (my wife is) then none of the non-WHD companies will come close.
    • doveman
    • By doveman 18th May 18, 3:51 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    doveman
    • 18th May 18, 3:51 PM
    • 18th May 18, 3:51 PM
    Would I be likely to receive WHD as a 46 year old whose only income is disability benefits and a small civil service pension of around 50/month?

I'm about to switch from EON, whom I've paid 403 over the last 12 months for 2,782kWh units of electricity. I'm with Better Energy for gas on a fixed tariff until 2019, so I'm only switching electricity at the moment.

The cheapest option with WHD and half-decent feedback is Extra Energy Sunrise Fixed Price Oct 2019 v1, which will cost 449/yr but if I'm likely to get the WHD (how much is it for electricity only?) then that's the best option.

The cheapest 1 year fix option without WHD and with half-decent feedback is One Select at 430/yr, so the WHD option isn't going to cost me much more anyway but I'd still like to make an informed decision.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 18th May 18, 4:04 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 18th May 18, 4:04 PM
    • 18th May 18, 4:04 PM
    You normally find it is means tested benefits. So income related ESA would fit with most companies who offer WHD, but not contributory. I got mine with EON (last year and previous years with other suppliers, OVO excepted) with income related ESA.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th May 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 18th May 18, 7:54 PM
    • 18th May 18, 7:54 PM
    Would I be likely to receive WHD as a 46 year old whose only income is disability benefits and a small civil service pension of around 50/month?

The cheapest option with WHD and half-decent feedback is Extra Energy Sunrise Fixed Price Oct 2019 v1, which will cost 449/yr but if I'm likely to get the WHD (how much is it for electricity only?) then that's the best option.
    Originally posted by doveman
    https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme
    https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/low-income

You need to check with the suppliers themselves in your case.

It's 140 off your electricity bill only (not gas) if you're eligible.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 19th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 19th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 19th May 18, 9:23 AM
    I've recently questioned Bulb WHD via another thread.
    As it looks like some energy suppliers inlcuding Bulb have slightly different qualitfying benefits to take advantange of this years WHD.
    E.g. from gov
    Your electricity supplier decides who can get the discount - check with your supplier to see if you!!!8217;re eligible and how to apply.
    As my question wasn't answered, I'm staying with SP for the time being.
    Last edited by Dandytf; 19-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
    sc dmp 2012 13k
    Jan 2018 8840 paid. 60% approx.
    • doveman
    • By doveman 19th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    doveman
    • 19th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 19th May 18, 11:06 AM
    You normally find it is means tested benefits. So income related ESA would fit with most companies who offer WHD, but not contributory. I got mine with EON (last year and previous years with other suppliers, OVO excepted) with income related ESA.
    Originally posted by PennineAcute
    Thanks. I get IR ESA as well so at least there's a chance I'd get WHD.

I understand each supplier can have different criteria, so I've asked EON and Extra Energy to send me theirs. I had to contact Extra Energy via Twitter as they don't provide an e-mail address and they just replied to say that applications are closed now. I replied to say I know that and I'm asking for next year but they haven't come back to me since.

On the other hand, EON's cheapest fixed tariff, Smart Saver v3, would cost me 496.73/year (about 93 more than I'm currently paying) if I don't get WHD. They say anyone who gets WHD will be automatically moved to their EnergyPlan Assist tariff but this appears to be a variable tariff and I can't find the details of what this will cost, so I've asked for them to be sent to me. https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/products-and-services/energy-plan-assist
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,617Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin