Is it possible to just cancel my benefits?

Options
Hi, first post here.

So i have been recieving ESA benefits for just over a month now as i've finished education and due to my anxiety and autism spectrum disorder i find it very difficult to work in 99% of jobs, however i just recieved an letter from a solicitor telling me that on my 21st birthday (Next month) i will recieve £27000 which was put in a trust fund from my fathers death 4 years ago.

Now i've been looking online and the last thing i'd want to do was recieve this money while also getting benefits as i know this is not the point in them, but i was just wondering if it's as easy as just cancelling your benefits?

I did know that there was some trust set up after my fathers death but i did not know when i'd get it or how much was in it, but now i'm in the know i'd like to stop the benefits.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LeoGuaje wrote: »
    Hi, first post here.

So i have been recieving ESA benefits for just over a month now as i've finished education and due to my anxiety and autism spectrum disorder i find it very difficult to work in 99% of jobs, however i just recieved an letter from a solicitor telling me that on my 21st birthday (Next month) i will recieve £27000 which was put in a trust fund from my fathers death 4 years ago.

Now i've been looking online and the last thing i'd want to do was recieve this money while also getting benefits as i know this is not the point in them, but i was just wondering if it's as easy as just cancelling your benefits?

I did know that there was some trust set up after my fathers death but i did not know when i'd get it or how much was in it, but now i'm in the know i'd like to stop the benefits.
    As soon as the money goes into your bank account you ring ESA and tell them. This also includes all other means tested benefits you receive, like housing benefit and Council tax reduction.

For means tested benefits anything over £16000 and all your benefits stop. Once you get down below £16000 you can apply again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure