Complex situation has arisen mid-DRO

So I was at the CAB for a different query when they did a benefit check. After going back with all my paperwork, they informed me I should ring up ESA as I should have been getting SDP but never have. I had been sent the form which I received/filled-in/returned (always keep proof of paperwork with details of what is what) but I never heard back so presumed was not entitled. Turns out I should be entitled and always have been...

Rung ESA today they went through a set of questions and told me they have sent it for processing and should be with me in 5 working days.

However, having now looked up how much SDP is, i'm now concerned that if there is a backpayment, I will have my DRO revoked :(
The CAB were told I was in a DRO and did not mention that this would affect me at all.

My intermediary (NDL) adjusted my budget when he submitted it as I was in the negative and he said it's not likely to be accepted if you're still in a negative budget... so if I get the SDP, even though I won't physically meet the 'over £50 surplus per month', on paper, due to them shuffling my budget in the first place, I will. How would this work :(
(Obviously this would only matter if the DRO wasn't revoked in the first place due to back payment).

It feels so deflating - knowing I only had until September and what a weight it has been off my mind... and now all those worries and anxieties are right back again...

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SPC no. 462 TOTAL £48.11
SPC11 No.462 Target: £250
NSD May - Acheived: 7 NSDs (Started 21/05/17)
NSD June (Target 15/30) - Achieved: 14/15
NSD July (Target 18/31) - Achieved: 3/18

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi there

There are two issues to consider here, the possible backdated lump sum of benefit you will received, and the increase in your ongoing income.

If the lump sum is less than £1000 there should be no issues. If it is over £1000 then the Insolvency Service have an element of discretion over whether the DRO should be revoked and will take into account any mitigating circumstances. For much larger lump sums (around £2000 or more) it is more likely the DRO will be revoked.

In terms of the increase in your ongoing income, you will be required to complete a new budget sheet. Bear in mind that if you had to reduce your outgoings previously due to being on a very low income you may find that these now increase, and overall you still have less than £50 per month spare money. In that situation you should still qualify for the DRO.

I'd advise getting back in touch with your intermediary as well to discuss the situation. I hope it all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure