RAC scratched my car

Options
Borgy
Borgy Posts: 17 Forumite
I just bought a car from a garage, paid £10k. 2 years old 15k mileage in new condition. From the 1st day found the car had low compression so Nissan replaced the engine. When I got the car back had low water coolant level so Nissan sent the RAC to check the car and said best to send back to Nissan. So was collected from me by the RAC but came in a van so lifted the front wheels and put a rear light board on the back. This was caught on my CCTV. I collected the car from Nissan the next day, and noticed a bad scratch near the gear lever, then a few on the rear bumper and under the Nissan badge.
Sent photos to the RAC. Got quote to repair the scratches from a local garage. RAC report spotted no damage on collection. But now the RAC say Nissan signed for the car so refuse to accept any liability.

If I would have been home when the car was collected and seen the RAC in a van and using a light board hung on the rear hatch with cables over the top would have not let them take it.

I have photos of car before, and garage condition report and no faults found on RAC report, so the RAC feel the damaged was done after they dropped the car off. But the damaged is clear from the light board moving left and right.

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    who paid the RAC to collect it , who placed the order with them?
  • Borgy
    Options
    Nissan under the car warranty cover. I booked collection with RAC.
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Options
    whoever PAID and received the invoice from the RAC is or was responsible for the car collection and its condition until you collected it
  • Borgy
    Options
    Which was Nissan. I have a open complaint with Nissan and this matter was brought to their attention but Nissan refused any liability and said you must contact the RAC. Nissan wanted to take the car in again since but I said no, will see if the fault gets worse. You don't expect to buy a car for 10k and find a fault within 24hrs and make a complaint to the garage, then because it has Nissan warranty left take it to be checked, Bolton Nissan had it 2 days. It's fine we found no fault!!. So took it back and went to get further checks and the car had lots of condensation from exhaust with little oil. After making the garage take car back then they sent to Warrington Nissan, it had to have £5830 spent to replace engine. Which took two weeks. Before that point I wanted refund from garage as they said me a car faulty. But after 3 mths they refuse any liability and say I don't have a right to complain under the customer rights act? The car still shows some condensation issues and poor MPG, book says average 40-50mpg, I get under 30mpg.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Options
    On the other hand, the RAC are quite used to attaching light boards to cars without scratching them, so it may not even have been the RAC who scratched it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you should concentrate on your main issue here - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5843502

One battle at a time.
  • Borgy
    Options
    I have marks on left and right of rear car, one under the Nissan badge which was in white, in the middle too of the rear bumper and each side of the number, plus the one near the gear lever, all in the area where the light board was hung. All I know is there were no marks there before. But it's hard to prove either way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure