We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Jersey Plants

Options
Well done MSE NOT.
On a recent email you advertised some Begonia plug plants from Jersey Plants Direct.
I ordered them, at £10.00
After about 2 weeks I rang them up to ask where they had gotten too.
They finally arrived & to be honest the plugs were crap, they arrived on a Monday, which meant they had been sitting in a cardboard box since at least the Thursday before, but I planted them up, they still dont look good & 20% didnt survive.
(I am a Pro gardener so know how to look after my plants.

Today I have recieved my mobile phone bill only to find the phone call I made to Jersey Plants has just cost me £3.00. No indication that it was a 50p a minute call.
So your money saving has actually cost me £3.00 more than expected Plus the plants are crap. I should of just bought them from the wholesaler instead, saved myself the time of planting up, the wasted compost from it & the phonecall.
Not a happy bunny today!!!!:mad:

Comments

• davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hmm, thats a worry. I made an order through them after seeing them on MSE, but ordered the larger plants, but the order failed to go through 2 times, so called them to check if it had infact went through, and the guy said no, so I ordered them a third time. A day later I got 3 order confirmations, so called back to explain and cancel 2 of the orders, so now expecting a couple of unexpected call charged, grrr.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    Gave up on Jersey, now use Crocus.

Not of any real help with your problems, but a thought for the future.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 May 2018 at 7:12AM
    Options
    Did you Google them first?

I did. Curate's egg.

If you are a pro gardener you should really know that a lot of these offers are to clear stock, and it won't necessarily be the best of it.

My advice is buy on-line by all means, but always from a source with either a high reputation and reviews to match, and/or with a physical presence where people can visit.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 16 May 2018 at 3:01PM
    Options
    They are based in Jersey so despite the 01 number it's counted as a non UK call and you will be charged according to your providers rate.

I order from them once a twice a year, i stick to jumbo ready plants.

Still lost a 1/3 of the last lot as they were in transit for 10 days (picked up Tues delivered Fri the next week).

My last email (beginning of month) took 13 days for them to answer, I've since found they are very prompt at answering via Facebook Messenger.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I ordered the 680 mixed begonia offer but only wanted abut 200 mixed for myself but at £20 it was very cheap. Ordered on the 14 April and they arrived on the 24th just after the hot weekend so I was prepared for the worse. But no there was only 2 missing out of the 680. I have potted up about 200 for myself and kept them in the warm in my porch and only 1 has failed. Not a lot of light in the porch but I put about another 150 in pots in the garden and have lost about 20 but there were subject to the heavy rain we had. The rest I have given away and from reports they are doing ok. So for £20 not to much of a gamble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure