Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 425Posts
    • 113Thanks
    bobwilson
    venting about annoying people
    • 15th May 18, 5:11 PM
    venting about annoying people 15th May 18 at 5:11 PM
    We asked for a quote from our plumber to fix our shower. He had good reviews online. The person who turned up on the doorstep looked like a 17 year old teenager.. He turned up by bus and had a school satchel on & no tools with him. He could barely speak english & said "is there hard shop?".. meaning to ask if there's a hardware shop nearby. He only came to quote & decide if he can do it or not. This was a free quote. He quoted me £70 to fix the shower, so I expected to at least take him an hour. I lent him a screwdriver, he fixed it in 5 minutes (apparently nothing wrong with it- just a piece of litter fell down in the wall and got stuck in the control dial)- he then asked for £70. I was gobsmacked. Then it turned out he's not even a plumber and doesn't normally do plumbing, he said he just "feel luck".

Today, a man quoted me £170 to fix a window latch. That then increased to £180, but when I questioned, it went back down to £170 for no reason. I couldn't understand the price since it apparently is a 5 minute job. He said he could do it for £150 (minus 20% tax on labour) if I pay him in cash. I asked him why 20%- tax including NI comes to 33% deductions. He said "I pay tax every day it's 20%". It isn't 20% of course, a quick look on listentotaxman.com will tell anyone that. When he discovered he didn't need the £90 parts, he quoted me £80. (but 150-90 = 60, not 80).

I hired someone else to fix the window, he said he'd charge me £80 including parts if it needed fixing, but he wouldn't know until he's seen it open. He arrived 30 mins late, spent 2 mins opening the window with a crowbar no less, then discovered there's nothing wrong with the latch, it didn't need fixing (just needed lubricating which I did myself). He then asked for £80 for that 2 mins. I clarified "I though you said it would be £80 if it needed fixing. It doesn't need fixing or parts, so wouldn't it be less than that?" he said no, he "fixed it". He then insisted on cash & even drove me to a cash point to get the cash for him.

I swear the world is getting worse, and people are becoming more ridiculous as time goes on. You're almost held hostage to these people because it's close to impossible to find anyone who wants to charge an honest amount or be reasonable these days. I understand people will have a minimum call out charge, but they didn't- the first window man was in the area & second window man was on his way somewhere and I was en-route. They didn't lose any time by doing this (well, 2 mins).
    Last edited by bobwilson; 15-05-2018 at 5:19 PM.
Page 1
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 15th May 18, 5:30 PM
    oh and then a really angry chav neighbour I didn't know came down the street & complained about my carpenter doing work in the garden.. apparently the sawdust blew on his car. Instead of telling me nicely "welcome to the neighbourhood! I'm sorry to bother you, would you mind if the work was done elsewhere because dust is going on my car "... which is how I might have said it, instead of that.. he said "A LOAD OF CR*P IS BLOWING ON MY CAR!!! I HAD IT WASHED LAST WEEK!!! ALL YOUR SH*T WAS FLYING ONTO IT YESTERDAY!"- with an angry look like he wanted to beat me up. I apologised and said "I'm so sorry, I didn't realise & I'll make sure it doesn't happen again".. that seemed to calm him down.

I looked at his car & there was nothing on it.. it is about 20 metres away from where the carpentry work was done, and we hadn't realised it was going over there.. it's pretty hard to control sawdust outside but I try my best not to annoy the neighbours, I'm considerate, don't play music loudly or cause any annoyance. It was more the way he complained, in such a nasty way.

Another neighbour complained about our porch light having a dusk to dawn sensor.. we keep it that way for security. There have been a lot of thefts and weird people trying to break in. She said she doesn't like lights at night because it shines through her windows.. she doesn't want to get curtains. She's 40 metres away & her house is surrounded by trees, in a small enclave that can't be seen from the road.. meanwhile our house is surrounded by streetlights and takes the brunt of the security issues.. so many idiots try to break & keep walking past looking up at this house because of its position on the road, it's quite exposed. Oh and she didn't say "welcome to the neighbourhood" either.. and she also spoke in a nasty way. I wouldn't speak to strangers that way.

But seriously.. what is wrong with everyone? Perhaps I grew up in a sheltered neighbourhood where everyone was polite. Does anyone else find that the majority of people are just so unpleasant toward each other these days?

Last edited by bobwilson; 15-05-2018 at 5:36 PM.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 5:38 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 5:38 PM
    • 15th May 18, 5:38 PM
    ... and how the "nice areas" with nice friendly amicable types.. are becoming harder & harder to find because all the nasty people seem to be breeding faster than the nice ones.. and nice areas are becoming rarer?
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 15th May 18, 6:30 PM
    Has no one else noticed these types of things.. am I really that alone?
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 15th May 18, 6:58 PM
    Ive definitely noticed one annoying person today
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    You mean to say you'd have actually replied if I hadn't posted on other threads? Thought not. I knew I wouldn't get any understanding or sympathy here. There's an old adage "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" - would you say this is true or constructive?
    Last edited by bobwilson; 15-05-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 32,555 Posts
    • 20,486 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 15th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:16 PM
    You seem to have some bad luck with some tradesmen, the 2 neighbours are odd.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:09 PM
    You seem to have some bad luck with some tradesmen, the 2 neighbours are odd.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    and here was me thinking this must be common place.. pretty sure it must be. I can't be that unlucky
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 15th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 16,371 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 15th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:54 PM
    To be fair, you need to make connections and ask friends for recommendations
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:04 PM
    To be fair, you need to make connections and ask friends for recommendations
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Now that's one big assumption hollydays- you're assuming everyone lives in the same area as their family or has moved to an area where they already know people in the local area, or that their neighbours have recommendations to make. From my experience & that of everyone I know, no one is able to make a recommendation because they've had similar experiences.

I was wondering if everyone has noticed these things with people but it seems I'm in the wrong forum for this discussion since people mostly seem to enjoy trouble making here. You're also missing the point of the post which was to vent about people (ironic I know, given the responses). To be fair.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 16,371 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    hollydays
    Now that's one big assumption hollydays- you're assuming everyone lives in the same area as their family or has moved to an area where they already know people in the local area, or that their neighbours have recommendations to make. From my experience & that of everyone I know, no one is able to make a recommendation because they've had similar experiences.

I was wondering if everyone has noticed these things with people but it seems I'm in the wrong forum for this discussion since people mostly seem to enjoy trouble making here. You're also missing the point of the post which was to vent about people (ironic I know, given the responses). To be fair.
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    No, by making connections I was thinking about getting to know people eg local cafe, ,library,
    Grocers.
    I've never met a tradesman that didn't want cash only.
    Last edited by hollydays; 16-05-2018 at 8:13 AM.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    owen_money
    Bob, fix a window? If you'd bought the Sunbright windows you'd have been ok, they last forever.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Still, I bet you feel better now Bob, they say it's good to get it off your chest. That is, after all, the point of this forum!
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    No, by making connections I was thinking about getting to know people eg local cafe, ,library,
    Grocers.
    I've never met a tradesman that didn't want cash only.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    You may have thought that but you didn't say that. In parts of the country, the culture isn't always such that you can get to know people at local cafes, so that's still very presumptuous but fortunately we live in a friendly part. Indeed we have gotten to know people, and those are in the same position as us- no one decent to recommend.

"tradesman who didn't want cash", not "that didn't want cash".
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    Still, I bet you feel better now Bob, they say it's good to get it off your chest. That is, after all, the point of this forum!
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    One would have thought so! Perhaps the rest of the forum members need reminding of this fact?

The thing about getting it off your chest is that when people reply with derogatory comments, trolling, or ignoring you completely, it doesn't work.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    Bob, fix a window? If you'd bought the Sunbright windows you'd have been ok, they last forever.
    Originally posted by owen_money
    You're assuming we bought these windows or had them installed. We didn't. That's the problem with assumptions, it's so easy to get it wrong. I'm taking it you have an issue with Sunbright?
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    owen_money
    I didnt assume anything, I said if you HAD have bought them you'd have been ok.

You assumed I had assumed, when in fact no assumption had been made by me, but you assumed I had

I've no problem with Sunbright, but I remember you did, again comedy gold
    Last edited by owen_money; 16-05-2018 at 5:33 PM.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • takman
    • By takman 16th May 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    takman
    It sounds like you should learn some basic DIY and you would be able to save a lot of money by not having to hire trades people for basic jobs.

But I definetly wouldn't want to live where you are with unfriendly neighbours and people actually trying to break into your house!!. I hope you also have security cameras to catch anyone trying to break in.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    It sounds like you should learn some basic DIY and you would be able to save a lot of money by not having to hire trades people for basic jobs.
    Originally posted by takman
    What makes you assume I don't earn more per hour than I'd save by taking a break from my job doing it myself? What makes you think plumbing for an internal shower in the wall, is "basic DIY"?

The other reputed professional plumbers we hired didn't even know you could remove it without destroying the wall- and wanted us to pay them £hundreds to take a look- by destroying the tiles and re-tiling- unlike this child, who seemed to know the knack to it. How is something even experienced plumbers don't know "Basic DIY"? You assume a lot, but do you have the experience to back up your assumptions?

But I definetly wouldn't want to live where you are with unfriendly neighbours and people actually trying to break into your house!!. I hope you also have security cameras to catch anyone trying to break in.
    Thanks for that comment. We really enjoy living in a dangerous area with unfriendly neighbours & lots of crime.
    Last edited by bobwilson; 16-05-2018 at 5:48 PM.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 6:19 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    The problem with the shower was fixed by removing litter from a control dial in less than 5 minutes with a screwdriver and the problem with the window was fixed by oiling it. You can't get much more basic DIY than that and you paid £150 in total for the two jobs!.
    You're conveniently missing off the fact that several professional plumbers took a look & didn't know how to remove the shower thing to reach the dial, and I didn't realise taking a crowbar to the window wouldn't shatter it. As it happened, the child knew about the shower dial, and the window men didn't care whether they broke the window or not (presumably they'd have just left me windowless). So it's not quite as "simple" as you make conveniently make out. You're also not really aware of what I'm doing in my life at the moment- perhaps I'm up to my neck in other DIY things because I can't find builders? You just can't assume the way you are. Unless- would you like to give me your number & you can come over and do these tasks, since you think they're so "basic"? Thought not. I suspect I've done a lot more DIY in my life than you ever have.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 16,371 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    hollydays
    You may have thought that but you didn't say that. In parts of the country, the culture isn't always such that you can get to know people at local cafes, so that's still very presumptuous but fortunately we live in a friendly part. Indeed we have gotten to know people, and those are in the same position as us- no one decent to recommend.

"tradesman who didn't want cash", not "that didn't want cash".
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    So , it's presumptuous to assume you are living in a friendly part, but you are.
    Which are the unfriendly places( taking notes)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,877Posts Today

7,754Users online

Martin's Twitter