PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ready to Exchange

Hi

We had our offer accepted on 6th March, mortgage application done with Nationwide and all gone through (expires September), surveys done, meeting with solicitor done and all searches and enquiries done, we have paid the 10% deposit.

The chain is us (FTB), our sellers and top of the chain the lady is moving in with family. There is nothing else for us to do but have been told by the EA that the top of the chain's solicitor is being incredibly slow and they aren't ready yet. We have asked do complete 8th June but EA said we won't be exchanging now until probably in June. Our problem is we have to give notice end of May at our rented house to leave end of June (we don't want to sign another 6 months of tenancy) as we don't want to pay rent and mortgage.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Frustrating :mad:

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sienna1990 wrote: »
    Hi

We had our offer accepted on 6th March, mortgage application done with Nationwide and all gone through (expires September), surveys done, meeting with solicitor done and all searches and enquiries done, we have paid the 10% deposit.

The chain is us (FTB), our sellers and top of the chain the lady is moving in with family. There is nothing else for us to do but have been told by the EA that the top of the chain's solicitor is being incredibly slow and they aren't ready yet. We have asked do complete 8th June but EA said we won't be exchanging now until probably in June. Our problem is we have to give notice end of May at our rented house to leave end of June (we don't want to sign another 6 months of tenancy) as we don't want to pay rent and mortgage.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Frustrating :mad:

Yes. Lots of people (see my comment on the similar titled thread, for an example). [title of thread is "Are we close to exchange?"]

It's ridiculous that solicitors are allowed to get away with some of the BS they do.

I recommend you make yourself very familiar with the ins and outs of the process and become a squeaky wheel. And don't be afraid to make noises. You don't have to threaten to pull out but there are plenty of other disgruntled noises you can make to convey that tings are going too far.

Unfortunately, in England solicitors know they have buyers over a barrel because by a certain point you may have invested in various surveys and inspections and dropping out means a £1,000 or more down the drain.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    So just go onto a rolling contract. Don't sign. (Unless you're talking about a break clause?)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you pay your rent every 6 months, if not then as above dont sign another tenancy agreement and keep paying your rent monthly.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's usually an over-simplification to blame a solicitor for delays.

It's probably that a 'problem' has arisen, and it's likely to take about 3 weeks to resolve.

TBH, if the EA is saying 3 weeks, it could well be 4 or 5 weeks.

Ideally, you should try to find out what the problem actually is, so that you can judge for yourself how long it may take to resolve.

Are you in direct contact with your seller? They might know more, as it seems to relate to the house they're buying.

(Looking at worst case scenarios, it might even be something really dramatic, like the sale has fallen through - and the EA is trying to 'buy time' before telling you.)
  • dunroving
    edited 15 May 2018 at 5:57PM
    eddddy wrote: »
    It's usually an over-simplification to blame a solicitor for delays.

It's probably that a 'problem' has arisen, and it's likely to take about 3 weeks to resolve.

TBH, if the EA is saying 3 weeks, it could well be 4 or 5 weeks.

Ideally, you should try to find out what the problem actually is, so that you can judge for yourself how long it may take to resolve.

Are you in direct contact with your seller? They might know more, as it seems to relate to the house they're buying.

(Looking at worst case scenarios, it might even be something really dramatic, like the sale has fallen through - and the EA is trying to 'buy time' before telling you.)

I'm sure they would agree with you. In my own case it definitely is the (seller's) solicitor who has us dancing his Kafka-esque dance.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Sienna1990
    Sienna1990 Posts: 42 Forumite
    We pay monthly. But yes I we’ll go onto rolling as you said
  • dunroving
    If there's one theme I see throughout most of these types of threads, it's that things are rarely as bad as they seem. In spite of all the setbacks and annoyances, things usually work out. It's easy to get wrapped up in the technical minutiae and lose sight of this basic fact.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Sienna1990
    Sienna1990 Posts: 42 Forumite
    So we decided to contact the estate agent about the tenancy and giving notice to which they responded the landlord has decided to sell the house and we have 2 months to leave! I really hope we exchange soon as I'd rather give 1 months notice the end of this month.
  • the_quick
    the_quick Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This I would say is normal with chains. If one party is not ready, you can not exchange. You were first in the chain, so you have more time than others. Up the chain there might be issue with local searches coming slow, or some question about them that LA take long to answer. Your vendor or their solicitor can't do anything about it.
    I know it is hard, but how cookie crumbles.
    You can ask your vendors to pay for your rent if you believe it is their fault. But you might not be able to speed things up.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Sienna1990 wrote: »
    So we decided to contact the estate agent about the tenancy and giving notice to which they responded the landlord has decided to sell the house and we have 2 months to leave! I really hope we exchange soon as I'd rather give 1 months notice the end of this month.
    Would never give notice until after exchange.

Anything can happen before then, plus you have no idea how much longer it will take (presuming it doesn't fall through :/)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport