Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 14th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    Dishwasher repair or replace
    • 14th May 18, 9:28 PM
    Dishwasher repair or replace 14th May 18 at 9:28 PM
    My 11 + year old dishwasher is unreliable, we have tried everything, cleaning it, washing it with bleach, vinegar, cleaning the holes.
    Do people think it is better to get someone to look at it or replace it?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 33,558 Posts
    • 39,656 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:31 PM
    Replacement , labour and parts will add up to nearly the price of a brand new one
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 14th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    newatc
    • 14th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:37 PM
    Definitely replacement. We now have the strategy of buying cheap and replace if they break down after the warranty period for the reasons Browntoa said. Having said that most of the electrical equipment is aged (5 years +) so there's be no need to even consider the repair option for some time.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 14th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 14th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:51 PM
    What's wrong with it?
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 15th May 18, 7:52 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    • 15th May 18, 7:52 AM
    • 15th May 18, 7:52 AM
    What's wrong with it?
    Originally posted by Jonesya
    It is not that reliable anymore, 25% -50% of the load needs washing again. We have tried everything, putting more salt in, empty load with bleach, empty load with vinegar.
    Also the wheels are breaking
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 15th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 15th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:50 AM
    I presume that you have cleaned all the filters ??
    Make ??
    Model ??
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 15th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 AM
    I presume that you have cleaned all the filters ??
    Make ??
    Model ??
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Yes and it is a Zanussi Electrolux
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 15th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 15th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 15th May 18, 9:59 AM
    Yes and it is a Zanussi Electrolux
    Originally posted by Thomas Holding
    That's just the make, not the model.
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 15th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    • 15th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:06 PM
    That's just the make, not the model.
    Originally posted by bigisi
    Sorry I will check again tonight.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 15th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Jonesya
    The other things to check, assuming the filters are clean:

- check the spray arms for small pieces of debris - you can't always see it, it doesn't always wedge itself in the holes - take them out, shake them about a bit, run some water through them.

- Check that the top spray arm is still fitting properly into the water outlet at the back, so water is getting to it.

- Check that the spray arms are turning smoothly and check they are rotating when the dishwasher is on - ie. open it, check position, close and let it restart, check it again and that it's moved.

- check it during the wash, to see that it's getting hot.

If the above is all ok then I'd start looking at the detergent - is the draw opening, the tablet going into the wash? Tried some different detergents?
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 15th May 18, 7:14 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    The model is zdf221
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 15th May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 6,757 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    ohreally
    I'd be looking at the heating element (can you feel heat) and the circulating pump.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    how about saving money and doing the dishes by hand?
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 15th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Definitely replacement. We now have the strategy of buying cheap and replace if they break down after the warranty period for the reasons Browntoa said. Having said that most of the electrical equipment is aged (5 years +) so there's be no need to even consider the repair option for some time.
    Originally posted by newatc
    We've done this with white goods for years, and it seems to work out well.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 15th May 18, 10:06 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    Nilrem
    Op, as has been said check the filters, washer outlets on the spinners, that the spinners are moving freely and that the pump isn't blocked.
    Most dishwashers are surprisingly simple things as they're effectively a timer, a heating element, a couple of valves and a pump (the only motorised moving part is the pump, the spinners etc are turned by water pressure).

Personally I've tended to find it's cheaper to replace dishwashers (at least at the low end of the range) than try to do any major repairs, we ended up replacing ours at about 7 years old because the cost of the parts needed to get it up and running properly again was going to be over 50% of the cost of a new one (no labour included as I would have done it). Spares for household appliances tend to be very very expensive compared to the cost of the unit (I stopped looking at the cost in our case when I'd reached 75 just for the smaller bits).

how about saving money and doing the dishes by hand?
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    From memory, with modern dishwashers you are likely to pay more per wash doing it by hand compared to a full machine load (or at least the cost difference is quite small, especially if you fully load it, use eco wash and cheapish tablet)
    There's also the time element, not everyone has the time to do a lot of washing up every night (and doing multiple small sessions is far less efficient in terms of water etc)..

Your dishwasher might only use 10 litres (or less) of water for the whole cycle, you are likely to use a lot more than that just for the general wash, let alone the rinse if you are doing a similar volume of plates etc
    I know I used to have to change the water about half way through a wash when we used to do it by hand, and when the kitchen was out of action during a refit we were trying to minimise washing up and still used several bowl fulls of water an evening even with a significantly decreased amount of dirty cups etc (we swapped to paper plates etc where possible so it was only some cutlery a few cups and a plate each for the evening wash).
    Last edited by Nilrem; 15-05-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 17th May 18, 2:32 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    I'd be looking at the heating element (can you feel heat) and the circulating pump.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    I can feel heat, the dishes etc come out hot. The funny thing is that I told my wife, lets replace it last night and it washed everything perfectly - obviously it is scared.
    The alternative is that it was just a random piece of luck!

We have checked the filters.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th May 18, 1:33 AM
    • 33,064 Posts
    • 19,935 Thanks
    getmore4less
    The upper basket water path often has a seal that can deteriorate.

When you push the basket back it can be hit/miss if is seals and the wash is a good one or a bad one.

with the basket out have a feel to see if the seal is damaged

on mine it is a cheap easy to change part

yours seems to be a bit more expensive
    part 130a
    https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/diagram/zanussi/dishwashers/135159/zdf221%20(91151901000)/

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,512Users online

Martin's Twitter