Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • juliebunny
    • By juliebunny 14th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,633Posts
    • 7,972Thanks
    juliebunny
    Mechanic Set Fire to my Car
    • 14th May 18, 9:25 AM
    Mechanic Set Fire to my Car 14th May 18 at 9:25 AM
    I have an old Fiesta, 2001, insurance company valued her at 220 in my last renewal (April). I guess that valuation assumed MOT. She was coming up for MOT and needed some work doing including welding which was going to cost 500. I'm sure I'm not the first person to become over attached to a very reliable car after 15 years so I booked her in to be fixed.

Whilst she was being welded she caught fire and has sustained damage inside. Now needs a new back seat, interior door, respray to one panel, new seatbelt, and inside roof, probably a few other bits. In other words, she's a 'write off', I were to claim on insurance (which wouldn't be worth it on my policy as the excess is more than that.)

He has never offered any sort of reparation or even an apology. He just offered to get rid of her for me, so understandably I'm pretty miffed.

Another Fiesta enthusiastic is going to come out and give me a quote for fixing the fire damage and completing the other repairs and then I'll decide whether she should be kept or go to be 'recycled'.

My question is whether my mechanic can be held liable in any way to compensate me? Whether or not it would be worth the agro is another question. If so, would that be up to the value of the car or the value of the repairs?

We buy any car offered me 175 but there wasn't any section to tell them she didn't have any MOT so not sure how valid that holds (MOT runs out this week.)
    Scrap guy has offered 100.

TIA for any advice.
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
Page 1
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 14th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    davidwood681
    • 14th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:27 AM
    Take the 100 and tell the mechanic to chip in the same
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 14th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 14th May 18, 9:33 AM
    Been there got the T-shirt, set a car alight myself. Sounds similar damage. As has been said cheaper to move on. If it needs welding its no minter. If you love it and want to keep it forever start to learn to tinker.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 14th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Surely mechanic would have some sort of business insurance? Would you not claim through them?
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 14th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 14th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:42 AM
    Why isn't the mechanic claiming on his insurance to recompense you for the damage he's caused to your car?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 27,583 Posts
    • 11,164 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 14th May 18, 10:27 AM
    His excess is probably more than the cars worth.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 14th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 14th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 14th May 18, 10:35 AM
    His excess is probably more than the cars worth.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    thats his issue, no? he set fire to someones property, he should be using his insurance to put the client back in the same position they were in before the incident.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 14th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 13,626 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 14th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 14th May 18, 10:50 AM
    Tell them theyve just bought themselves a car and owe you a couple hundred quid. It's their fault their responsibility. They can then scrap it to get some money back but that's their business
    • missile
    • By missile 14th May 18, 11:21 AM
    • 9,677 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    missile
    • 14th May 18, 11:21 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:21 AM
    Small claims court
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 17,309 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    motorguy
    Take the 100 and tell the mechanic to chip in the same
    Originally posted by davidwood681
    +1

Thats where i'd be on it.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    Tarambor
    The mechanic is absolutely 100% liable. The reason it caught fire is because he didn't do the job properly, he didn't remove interior trim/ panels on the other side of the panel he was welding on, he didn't have a fire extinguisher to hand or another person to watch for fire. He has basically broken every single basic workshop rule on welding on vehicles.

As a business he should have insurance to cover this, if he hasn't then he has to put you right which is either fix the car or pay you for the value of the car.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 14th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    caprikid1
    It's great that cars are lasting 15-20 years without the need for welding. Downside is now any decent garage just does not want to do welding. As has just been stated If you don't want to strip a car out completely when welding then you need two people to do it. One welding one with the bucket of water !!. Even if you do strip the car out with sealers and internal cavity wax the car can still catch fire. I was lucky mine did not reach the headlining.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th May 18, 1:47 PM
    • 18,388 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    AdrianC
    What was it worth before he set fire to it?
    Scrap value.

That's what he owes you, and not a penny more.

Sentimental value is separate, and cannot be financially compensated.
    • juliebunny
    • By juliebunny 14th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 7,972 Thanks
    juliebunny
    Thanks for your replies. I don't think there's any happy outcome from this except I've found out my mechanic is awful. To be honest the aggro of fighting with him over 100 is simply not worth the stress, I'm probably just going to walk away from him. He was very rude to me over the weekend.

Caprikid1 - As you quite rightly state, no one is interested in anything that requires the additional effort of welding.

The advice I would give to anyone else with an older car now is to find a mechanic who is an enthusiast
    for the car that you need repairing. I've now belatedly found someone via a Fiesta Group who restores old and damaged fiestas and has a passion for this. I've also had some good advice from motorclaimsguru.co.uk
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
    • missile
    • By missile 14th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 9,677 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    missile
    Thanks for your replies. I don't think there's any happy outcome from this except I've found out my mechanic is awful. To be honest the aggro of fighting with him over 100 is simply not worth the stress, I'm probably just going to walk away from him. He was very rude to me over the weekend.

Caprikid1 - As you quite rightly state, no one is interested in anything that requires the additional effort of welding.

The advice I would give to anyone else with an older car now is to find a mechanic who is an enthusiast
    for the car that you need repairing. I've now belatedly found someone via a Fiesta Group who restores old and damaged fiestas and has a passion for this. I've also had some good advice from motorclaimsguru.co.uk
    Originally posted by juliebunny
    Don't get mad get even > Take him to court.
    It is quite easy and chances are he will not want to loose time attending court and you will win by default.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 14th May 18, 5:19 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    Yep should be claiming from his business insurance. You were paying him for his work, which he failed to carry out the task correctly. Any normal person welding a car would strip the interior out well within any work area.

I really hope he hasn't charged you for work carried out? Sounds like a proper cowboy to be fair.

Judging by your post the Fiesta isn't anything special, I'm sure the only sporting Fiesta round that year was the Zetec-S so its not any XR-RS that'll be worth thousands of pounds.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Car 54
    Don't get mad get even > Take him to court.
    It is quite easy and chances are he will not want to loose time attending court and you will win by default.
    Originally posted by missile
    We've established that it was worth only its scrap value. Say 100. Is that worth going to court for?

Even if the OP gets judgement, it doesn't mean he'll get the money.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th May 18, 7:37 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    He has never offered any sort of reparation or even an apology. He just offered to get rid of her for me, so understandably I'm pretty miffed.
    Originally posted by juliebunny
    If he was halfway through the welding thats 250 worth of work that he's not getting paid for so he's out of pocket. Not an excuse but he's unlikely to be happy about the situation.
    A proper apology and an offer to help find a replacement should be the least he could do.

We buy any car offered me 175 but there wasn't any section to tell them she didn't have any MOT so not sure how valid that holds (MOT runs out this week.)
    Scrap guy has offered 100.
    A 17 year old Fiesta with no mot needing 500 of welding is only worth scrap value.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 14-05-2018 at 7:42 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 14th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    We've established that it was worth only its scrap value. Say 100. Is that worth going to court for?

Even if the OP gets judgement, it doesn't mean he'll get the money.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Perhaps it might make the mechanic think twice about acting like this again.

And the op is a she, not a he.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th May 18, 11:53 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Car 54
    And the op is a she, not a he.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    How on earth do you know that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,316Users online

Martin's Twitter