We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Moving bluebells.

Gloomendoom
Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have loads of bluebells in my garden that are in the way of some building work. I'd like to move them somewhere else.

When would be the best time to do this?

TIA

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 6:15PM
    The usual gardening answer is months ago or in another few months time.

Google helpfully suggests "If you want to move some spring-blooming bulbs to another spot, wait until the foliage has turned yellow, then carefully dig them up and let them dry in a shady spot for a few days. Store the bulbs in a cool, dry place for the summer until it's time to plant them in fall."

However, in 2014 the Telegraph's gardening calendar said "With the early spring, bluebells are going over, so now's a good time to lift and divide them. Transplanted in the green 'still in active growth' their roots settle in quickly. Dig up a clump with a spade, making sure you dig deep, so you don't slice into the bulb. Divide them into small clumps (with leaves on) and replant at the same depth. Cut off the flowers - you don't want the bulbs putting energy into making seed."

Given that I'd be pushed to describe this as spring, I think it depends on whether your bluebells are still flowering. That or how soon the building works are going to remove choices - may as well shift some and store some & see which work out better?

Best of luck!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks. They are still in full bloom so I probably need to wait another couple of weeks before doing anything.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    As DFV says, the best time is when they're dormant, or after they've flowered and drawn nutrients back down into the bulb. That said a badger had a good go at some of mine recently and I potted them up - they've still flowered and I'll relocate them in a month or so

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I wouldn't wait too long - otherwise their seeds will spread who knows where and you'll have more springing up!

I think they are fine in a tub, providing you stop them seeding, otherwise before you know they'll be everywhere!

When you dig them out, priority is the bulb, secondly any white rooting threads (maybe from seed). But it can be surprising how deep they go - good luck.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport