Thailand July 2019

This will be our first trip. Me, oh and adult daughter. We're planning on going end of June beginning of July for two weeks.

Was thinking, three days in Bangkok, three days in Chiang Mai, and then a beach resort to chill for a week.
Is this a good combination of city and beach?

Also when would be the best time to book flights and how much should we expect to pay.any advice on which are the best Airlines also?

Thanks

Comments

• deejaybee
    deejaybee Posts: 885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Myself OH and teenage daughter went to Thailand for first time in August 2016.

Flew into Bangkok, then internal flight to Khon Kaen (up north)
    Its not a tourist location, but my son and his gf were living and working there, had 4 nights there, and it was different being in a place not aimed at tourists.

Then another internal flight back to Bangkok, and same day flew to Koh Samui for the beach part of our holiday, stayed at Centara Villas down south, luckily got upgraded to their best Villa, although the one we had for first night was plenty good enough.
    Had 8 nights there and really enjoyed it.

Flew back to Bangkok and stayed 2 nights there at Centrepoint Hotel which was recommended to me on this site, and was handy for skytrain and river . Son came and met us there as well.

Loved Thailand and would go back tomorrow.

Our flights were pretty cheap, think it was around £360 each from Edinburgh with a short stop over ( 1 hr or so ) in Abu Dhabi.
    But we travelled up from Devon, which was ok going up, but we regretted that on way home, next time would use a nearer airport and sod the cost.

Internal flights in Thailand were cheap to KK ( £25 each, 1 way ) but expensive to Koh Samui ( £150 each return ) asi think the airline has a monopoly. And those prices were based pre-brexit vote approx 50 THB to £1, as i booked them a while in advance.

Think its best to stay at least one night in Bangkok prior to your homeward flight.
  • holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    deejaybee wrote: »

Its not a tourist location, but my son and his gf were living and working there, had 4 nights there, and it was different being in a place not aimed at tourists.

Then another internal flight back to Bangkok, and same day flew to Koh Samui for the beach part of our holiday, stayed at Centara Villas down south, luckily got upgraded to their best Villa, although the one we had for first night was plenty good enough.

Flew back to Bangkok and stayed 2 nights there at Centrepoint Hotel which was recommended to me on this site, and was handy for skytrain and river . Son came and met us there as well.

Our flights were pretty cheap, think it was around £360 each from Edinburgh with a short stop over ( 1 hr or so ) in Abu Dhabi.
    But we travelled up from Devon, which was ok going up, but we regretted that on way home, next time would use a nearer airport and sod the cost.

Internal flights in Thailand were cheap to KK ( £25 each, 1 way ) but expensive to Koh Samui ( £150 each return ) asi think the airline has a monopoly. And those prices were based pre-brexit vote approx 50 THB to £1, as i booked them a while in advance.

Think its best to stay at least one night in Bangkok prior to your homeward flight.

Thank you. That' s really useful. Who did you book flights with please? And when did you book. We would be going just after a level exams finish in late June/ July 2019.
    I was wondering should we book as soon as the airlines release their flights, or if there are sales later on in the year..

We are looking at Koh saumi for the beach part of the holiday, but yes internal flights are expensive, unlike say Phuket which is much cheaper, but much more risky weather wise because it's rainy season.
    Did you find Thailand inexpensive in general for a holiday?
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    deejaybee wrote: »

It's absolute sound sense never to risk an internal domestic flight on the same day as your exit international flight.

If you are considering the Andaman Sea coast [Phuket area or Khao Lak] for your beach time in July then it could be a bit rough and stormy.

Chiang Mai is alright, but lots of traffic similar to Bangkok without the skytrain/underground/Chao Phraya River ferries. Much of what there is to see is out of town, so have a plan in place.

Also have a look at Kanchanaburi/Bridge over the River Kwai/Hellfire Pass. easy to self-guide. Here's an excellent link...

https://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

Choose an airline that has several flights per day from LGW, Manchester or Birmingham, eg. Qatar Air via Doha, Emirates via Dubai, or Etihad via Abu Dhabi. Personally I don't like Etihad much as there ground staff at Abu Dhabi aren't that helpful. For direct flights look at Eva or Thai Air. There are other carriers, but I think the ones I've mentioned will give you enough scope on times and prices. Use Skyscanner to compare, but book direct with the airline for a better customer service.

Also with flights cost in whether you need to have a UK Airport overnight hotel at the end of the trip
  • holidaysforme
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    It's absolute sound sense never to risk an internal domestic flight on the same day as your exit international flight.

If you are considering the Andaman Sea coast [Phuket area or Khao Lak] for your beach time in July then it could be a bit rough and stormy.

Chiang Mai is alright, but lots of traffic similar to Bangkok without the skytrain/underground/Chao Phraya River ferries. Much of what there is to see is out of town, so have a plan in place.

Also have a look at Kanchanaburi/Bridge over the River Kwai/Hellfire Pass. easy to self-guide. Here's an excellent link...

https://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

Choose an airline that has several flights per day from LGW, Manchester or Birmingham, eg. Qatar Air via Doha, Emirates via Dubai, or Etihad via Abu Dhabi. Personally I don't like Etihad much as there ground staff at Abu Dhabi aren't that helpful. For direct flights look at Eva or Thai Air. There are other carriers, but I think the ones I've mentioned will give you enough scope on times and prices. Use Skyscanner to compare, but book direct with the airline for a better customer service.

Also with flights cost in whether you need to have a UK Airport overnight hotel at the end of the trip

Thanks for all the tips. Think Phuket is too risky for the beach in July, so I think we need to head somewhere like Koh Samui. I like the look of Thai airways and Quatar airways. Would be flying from London and staying overnight in hotel before our flight. We always do this. Same for coming back.

Just been looking at prices for accomadation in Bangkok and Samui. Think it' s going to cost a lot less than we usually pay for Europe, and North America! Just glanced at Vietnam as well,- which looks fantastic, but I think for our first trip to the Far East Thailand might be easier.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, if it's your first trip to SE Asia then Thailand is easier than Vietnam as there is more tourist infrastructure in place.

The beauty of Thailand (and Vietnam) is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. Try to resist the urge to spend extra on luxury hotels resorts when some of the best places I've stopped have been simple guest houses.

The secret to having a good trip to the region is not to try to do too much in a limited amount of time as nothing ever goes to plan. It's better to want to go back to do things you have missed than to knacker yourself out trying to do everything and not enjoy the experience. I have been to Bangkok about 8 times and there are still lots of things I haven't done.
  • holidaysforme
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Yes, if it's your first trip to SE Asia then Thailand is easier than Vietnam as there is more tourist infrastructure in place.

The beauty of Thailand (and Vietnam) is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. Try to resist the urge to spend extra on luxury hotels resorts when some of the best places I've stopped have been simple guest houses.

The secret to having a good trip to the region is not to try to do too much in a limited amount of time as nothing ever goes to plan. It's better to want to go back to do things you have missed than to knacker yourself out trying to do everything and not enjoy the experience. I have been to Bangkok about 8 times and there are still lots of things I haven't done.

Thanks. Any ideas for a beach resort in July? Also, would you think £1200 for hotels/villa is about right for two weeks, or would we need more. There's three adults, so would need two rooms in hotels, and a two bed apartment / villa for the beach week. Don't want anywhere fancy, as long as it has a pool and is central.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks. Any ideas for a beach resort in July? Also, would you think £1200 for hotels/villa is about right for two weeks, or would we need more. There's three adults, so would need two rooms in hotels, and a two bed apartment / villa for the beach week. Don't want anywhere fancy, as long as it has a pool and is central.

Have a look at this for weather info: https://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/july

No matter when and where you go in Thailand there will be some rain - that's what you get from having a tropical climate. If you want 2 weeks of almost guaranteed sunshine then look elsewhere. However, often the time the rain will just be limited to a very heavy downpour late in the afternoon. You just need to be prepared for it when it happens - my "coping strategy" involves running into the nearest bar for a cold beer until it stops.

£1200 should be more than enough for rooms/apartments. Bangkok is one of the best cities in the world for the range, quality and value of accommodation available.

Take a look at http://www.thailand-guide.com/ for hotel and destination info.
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I must be very lucky. I've been in Thailand many times, all over and never seen rain!
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 6:55AM
    So far as weather is concerned, all you can do is do your homework thoroughly. The rest is in the hands of nature.

Like Dosh mentions, if it does rain when it really ought not to, then it'll probably be just a short downpour. Enjoy it, find a cheap bar or restaurant with a corrugated roof covered open terrace, and be impressed by the sounds and smells, and if you are in an area of greenery look how green the greens become and the number of different shades of green. If the rain is prolonged just watch how the locals cope with it.....no such thing as 'Rain stops play' in SE Asia.

There's plenty of old threads about all manner of things relating to Thailand and much of SE Asia.

Personally, for the way we travel we are becoming priced out of Thailand. Vietnam is much cheaper, and with a bit of homework [which is important anyway] just as easy to travel around using short inexpensive flights with Vietjet or Vietnam Airlines.
  • St_95
    St_95 Posts: 22 Forumite
    This will be our first trip. Me, oh and adult daughter. We're planning on going end of June beginning of July for two weeks.

Was thinking, three days in Bangkok, three days in Chiang Mai, and then a beach resort to chill for a week.
    Is this a good combination of city and beach?

Also when would be the best time to book flights and how much should we expect to pay.any advice on which are the best Airlines also?

Thanks

Me and the OH travelled to Thailand for the same duration last July/August. We flew from Manchester to Bangkok, return.

We spent the first night in Bangkok, four nights in Chian Mai (beautiful place), two nights in Krabi and two nights in both Koh Samui & Koh Phangan. Finally, we spent another night in Bangkok on the way home.

It was the perfect combination of city (Bangkok & Chiang Mai) and beach (the rest).

We flew between Bangkok & Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai & Krabi and finally Surat Thani (close to Koh Phangan) & Bangkok. The flights were very cheap, we booked around December for the following July. In terms of airlines, we flew Thai Airways, Lion Air & Thai AirAsia; all were excellent and cost no more than 20 GBP each including baggage etc.

Between the islands we used ferries and coach travel. Again, very cheap and convenient. You can either book this at resort or on a website such as "Ferry Samui . com" (i can't post links as a new user).

Hope this helps, any questions just ask!

And finally, you will leave Thailand with a new favourite holiday destination! To put it simply... It is a beautiful Country!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure