Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gigaspeed123
    • By Gigaspeed123 12th May 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Gigaspeed123
    Over paid by employer
    • 12th May 18, 2:32 PM
    Over paid by employer 12th May 18 at 2:32 PM
    Hello members

Need advice on my specific situation. Last year, i was with an employer under a year and was made redundant and business almost collapsed (large company once upon a time), but reached cva agreement for uk office and kid of saved.

While I left with redundancy, I was told i will not receive any money apart from one month notice. All cleared, but company paid more than i was expecting, i was not sure why aa i did not have any final payslip of p45. I was contacted later asking for return of monies. I asked payslip and p45 which I did not receive . Eventually they sent a copy of payslip that I was paid redundancy money which I was entitled. I said fine i will make payment, but revert payment on records i.e payslip and p 45 and send me copy. I was told it's not possible to revert pay on payroll as I left company . while on record i was paid , but I return money? Now they following up on money. Morally, yes I have to pay , but if I don't what are implications technically if I don't?
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 36,141 Posts
    • 46,590 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 12th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:15 PM
    They can take you to court, if you dont pay within a month you will get a CCJ against you and your credit will be trashed for years.
    You will be unable to get any sort of credit fron a mobile phone contrat to a mortgage.

Its not your money, just pay it back
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 36,141 Posts
    • 46,590 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 12th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:17 PM
    As you had only been there a year you were not entitled to any redundcy money.
    This kicks in when you have worked for them at least 2 years
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 12th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 12th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:56 PM
    As you had only been there a year you were not entitled to any redundcy money.
    This kicks in when you have worked for them at least 2 years
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Contractual scheme could make termination payment to someone with less than statutory entitlement.

It's not clear to me what really happened as OP says,
    While I left with redundancy, I was told i will not receive any money apart from one month notice. All cleared, but company paid more than i was expecting, i was not sure why aa i did not have any final payslip of p45. I was contacted later asking for return of monies. I asked payslip and p45 which I did not receive . Eventually they sent a copy of payslip that I was paid redundancy money which I was entitled.
    Was "was" meant to be "was not"?
    Last edited by anamenottaken; 12-05-2018 at 6:00 PM.
    • Gigaspeed123
    • By Gigaspeed123 13th May 18, 12:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Gigaspeed123
    • 13th May 18, 12:08 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:08 PM
    I was not entitled to redundancy as per agreement.

My primary question was why did not employer revert pay on my payroll which would have made me automatically owe them?

As per hmrc records i was paid money, even if I return monies over paid, i will be subject to higher tax due to above reason explained. To i be technically called defulter while I am paid as per official records?. Is there no provision to correct on hmrc records if I return money?

I have repeatedly asked to revert my payroll which I was not answered for that question.

Pls advice
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 33,064 Posts
    • 19,935 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 14th May 18, 10:02 AM
    I was not entitled to redundancy as per agreement.

My primary question was why did not employer revert pay on my payroll which would have made me automatically owe them?

As per hmrc records i was paid money, even if I return monies over paid, i will be subject to higher tax due to above reason explained. To i be technically called defulter while I am paid as per official records?. Is there no provision to correct on hmrc records if I return money?

I have repeatedly asked to revert my payroll which I was not answered for that question.

Pls advice
    Originally posted by Gigaspeed123
    If they are claiming the overpaid money is redundancy there is no TAX or NI on that payment.

Did they get the holiday pay correct?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,497Posts Today

6,820Users online

Martin's Twitter