Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • THB
    • By THB 12th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    THB
    Lloyd’s closed my account for no reason
    • 12th May 18, 11:44 AM
    Lloyd’s closed my account for no reason 12th May 18 at 11:44 AM
    I recently lost my card while out, but didn’t report it lost as I knew I had no money in the account, and none was going in. Someone used my card to go Ł277 overdrawn at a petrol station, which clearly wasn’t me as I’m 16 so can’t even have a car. I went into the bank to sort it and the fraud team gave me a refund. He said if anything like this happens again my account will be closed. Ive not used the account since that happened yet I have just received a letter stating my account will be closed in 60 days? Does anyone know what to do and why they’ve closed my account, I start a new job Monday?
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 12th May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 12th May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:47 AM
    Ask the bank.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • THB
    • By THB 12th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    THB
    • 12th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:57 AM
    They said that they can!!!8217;t give any information apart from that it!!!8217;s a final decision and I have 60 days to find another bank
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    Maybe switch to another during the 60 days?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Harbour Hopeful
    • By Harbour Hopeful 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Harbour Hopeful
    At 16, an unarranged overdraft should not be granted. Any bank account designed for a child (which is what you are) should block any transaction that exceeds the available balance. Although petrol pumps sometimes use offline transactions, your card chip should contain a hard block on such purchases.

As you are not 18, it will not have any impact on your credit file, as you have not started one yet, however CIFAS could retain a fraud notice from the bank if they determine your account was used for fraudulent purposes.

On the flip side, the bank may have determined that the lack of activity on your account vs. the fraud risk (which is massive due to the previous incident you mentioned) doesn't justify keeping it opened. If this is the case, you shouldn't have a problem moving elsewhere.

I know that NatWest Adapt and Nationwide Flex One will NEVER allow a transaction to authorize in the shop. I am sure offline transactions are still allowed but if you go into minus, Nationwide won't charge or penalize you. NatWest will try to charge fees and send letters out, but once you've reminded them that you are a minor, they will remove them.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 12th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 12th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:09 PM
    Someone used my card to go Ł277 overdrawn at a petrol station....
    Originally posted by THB
    Police are looking for the driver of a Humvee.
    • Harbour Hopeful
    • By Harbour Hopeful 12th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Harbour Hopeful
    • 12th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:14 PM
    Police are looking for the driver of a Humvee.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    They could have purchased other items at a Shell for example. If a petrol pump wasn't used, the retailer's terminal should have done an online check.

If Lloyd's allowed a minor to go overdrawn then they need a reality check and a reminder that under 18's can't be perused for debt as they can't enter a legally binding contract for credit.
    • THB
    • By THB 12th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    THB
    • 12th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:24 PM
    I do not see why I should have to switch to another bank I!!!8217;ve been with Lloyd!!!8217;s since last year and have never done anything wrong, my brother works for them as a personal advisor.

The fraud team said I went overdrawn as you only need a pound in your bank to spend at petrol stations and the rest comes out after, but this is still no excuse as ive done nothing wrong and they!!!8217;ve shut my account! I!!!8217;m going to go into the bank and see if I can sort it, does anyone know if I!!!8217;ll be able to get my wage paid into someone else!!!8217;s bank while it gets sorted out?
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    • 12th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:26 PM
    Remember, a bank does not have to have you as a customer if they do not want you as one. They may just decide that you are not worth having as a customer, in the same way that you could choose to move accounts if you chose to.

Switch to a new account, and always keep a spare one available too.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 12th May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 4,338 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Their bank, their rules
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 12th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I do not see why I should have to switch to another bank I!!!8217;ve been with Lloyd!!!8217;s since last year and have never done anything wrong, my brother works for them as a personal advisor.
    Originally posted by THB
    They can decide who they do business with, and in your case they have decided for whatever reason, that they don't want to do business with you. There's no point getting worked up about it. Accept the fact of the situation for what it is and open an account with a different bank.

The fraud team said I went overdrawn as you only need a pound in your bank to spend at petrol stations and the rest comes out after, but this is still no excuse as ive done nothing wrong and they!!!8217;ve shut my account! I!!!8217;m going to go into the bank and see if I can sort it, does anyone know if I!!!8217;ll be able to get my wage paid into someone else!!!8217;s bank while it gets sorted out?
    Originally posted by THB
    While what the bank said would be correct for someone aged 18 and above, it is not the case for you. An overdraft cannot be extended to someone under 18. The bank messed up in allowing your account to go overdrawn. Don't worry about it, however, as it is their error. You should, however, report a lost card as soon as you are aware that it has been lost. Make sure to do so in future.

There is no point going into a branch to argue the case over the decision to close your account. The branch have absolutely no authority to override the decision. Your account is being closed and that is the end of the matter. Don't waste your time and energy. Accept the situation and move on.

No, you cannot have your wages paid into somebody else's account. Doing so would be crazy. You should have a new account open in a matter of hours. You can give your new employer these details. Your previous employer will pay your wages into the account that they hold details for. If that is your Lloyds account then you will be able to withdraw the funds and pay them into your new account. There is no issue here.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 12-05-2018 at 1:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 25,774 Posts
    • 15,229 Thanks
    xylophone
    under 18's can't be perused
    Not read like a book then?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th May 18, 1:36 PM
    • 25,774 Posts
    • 15,229 Thanks
    xylophone
    You might consider Santander mini current account?

https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-mini-current-account
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 12th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    TheShape
    Lloyd’s closed my account for 'no reason'
    I recently lost my card while out, but didn't report it lost as I knew I had no money in the account, and none was going in. Someone used my card to go Ł277 overdrawn at a petrol station.......
    Originally posted by THB
    I do not see why I should have to switch to another bank I've been with Lloyd's since last year and have never done anything wrong....
    Originally posted by THB
    I expect the reason for closing your account and 'what you have done wrong' is to not comply with with their Personal Banking terms and conditions:

2.3 You must tell us as soon as possible (see'How to
    contact us') if you:
    a. think any device or security details have been
    lost, stolen, damaged or are being misused;
    Also, if the account had a zero balance when the card was stolen I'd be interested to know whether the Ł277 worth of transactions were made with the use of a PIN or if 9 or more contactless transactions were made?
    Last edited by TheShape; 12-05-2018 at 2:44 PM.
    • Harbour Hopeful
    • By Harbour Hopeful 12th May 18, 2:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Harbour Hopeful
    I expect the reason for closing your account and 'what you have done wrong' is to not comply with with their Personal Banking terms and conditions:

Also, if the account had a zero balance when the card was stolen I'd be interested to know whether the Ł277 worth of transactions were made with the use of a PIN or if 9 or more contactless transactions were made?
    Originally posted by TheShape
    In some cases, often on a vending machine or parking ticket system, cardholder interaction is not required. The card is inserted and the transaction is processed.

In the case of this, either the petrol pump didn't require cardholder verification or the person knew the PIN.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 12th May 18, 2:46 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    18cc
    is it possible to use a debit card for a 277 transaction without using the pin (apart from online purchases) - can you sign these days (ie someone forged your signature at the petrol station)??
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 12th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    18cc
    by the way consider the bank VERY generous for refunding you when you didnt report the card lost....
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 12th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    by the way consider the bank VERY generous for refunding you when you didnt report the card lost....
    Originally posted by 18cc
    OP is under 18 and therefore cannot be held liable for a debt. The bank should never have allowed the transaction, so they are in error, and that is why they refunded the money, i.e. absorbed the loss.

I agree that it was very remiss not to report the lost card.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    shortcrust
    This is stating the obvious, but a 16 year old can pay for petrol and other things at petrol station even though they're too young to drive a car!

If I think it's a bit suss then I'm pretty sure the bank does too...
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th May 18, 4:34 PM
    • 24,965 Posts
    • 12,181 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Does an under 19 account have contactless?
    (I don't think so) so transactions must have been done using a PIN - so the question to be asked is - was the PIN with the card? Did the OP lend the card to anybody or previously handed the card and PIN to somebody to buy something?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,409Users online

Martin's Twitter