Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th May 18, 6:13 AM
    • 3,114Posts
    • 42,970Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 12th May 2018
    • 12th May 18, 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 12th May 2018 12th May 18 at 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Sat 12th May 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Sun shining with white wispy clouds in the sky.

DH and myself enjoying first peaceful cuppas - I've just eaten my brekkie, after having a shower and getting dressed as I'm off to work this morning.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk, I had a stir fry/lentil thing with gyros. Tonight we'll be having gammon ham, scotch egg, hot quiche, salad and either hot new potatoes or jacket potato.

Yesterday I was again quite productive, with jobs being done. I got washing line dried - that's been a load every day this week. I tackled the ironing pile too.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-05-2018 at 6:21 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th May 18, 7:08 AM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 20,632 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th May 18, 7:08 AM
    • 12th May 18, 7:08 AM
    Morning all and thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

I've been up for a few hours, have had tea and toast - slightly burnt, someone has had a fiddle with the toaster and I didn't notice. I'm telling myself that we all need a mix of nutrients and carbon is one of them.

I've knitted the skirt for a dress for a doll . I made yesterday evening. The doll is only as tall as my hand so not necessarily a lot of knitting.

Today I want to clean downstairs and tidy the spare bedroom. Also I need to get work clothes ready for next week. This will depend on my ability to stay awake, this sleeplessness is getting worse. Am hoping that it will improve once I'm not working but it could take me time to adjust as I've never not worked, apart from maternity leave. Even if sometimes it has been part time.

It is nice and peaceful and I'm sitting with window open, getting air round the house.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th May 18, 7:11 AM
    • 6,722 Posts
    • 93,800 Thanks
    redruby
    • 12th May 18, 7:11 AM
    • 12th May 18, 7:11 AM
    Morning all

Its been raining in the night and is still a bit overcast here this morning, I am off to work so hopefully the weather will keep some people away.

The clients have been very challenging this week and its been very much hard work I am completely shattered, today should be a bit better as they are not in at the weekends.

OH is going to do the shopping today and clean through downstairs, I have a new lady coming Monday to have a look re cleaning for me its a friend of a close friend so trustworthy and she has a slot Friday afternoon which is just what I wanted
    fingers crossed she turns up !

Not sure about dinner tonight its not been bought yet but what ever it is OH can cook tonight.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th May 18, 7:35 AM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 47,697 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th May 18, 7:35 AM
    • 12th May 18, 7:35 AM
    Morning All

Looks like it could be a nice bright day here so the bedding is in the WM and will be ready to go out soon.

Taking DS1 and GF to the station, they are going to Edinburgh for the day, will meet up with them in Glasgow later along with DD and BF.

Managed to plant out the peas and beans at the allotment last night, it may be a little cold for them but they were getting too big for their pots here. Didn't have to water them in as it was pouring down!

Just catching up with GW from last night. Have a good weekend, take care. XX
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 12th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 12th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 12th May 18, 7:42 AM
    Good morning, and thanks NMLC for starting.

Seems like a fine mild morning here, brightish.

Sorry to hear about your sleeplessness AOD. It's the worst thing isn't it. I've tried many remedies over the years, lavender on the pillow etc. What I rely on now is no caffeine after about 6.30pm, 2 Sle*epease tablets from Bo*ts, sometimes accompanied by a double camomile tea, I still wake through the night but hey ho. Sometimes I drop off again, sometimes I don't.

Yesterday, i met some friends at Dobbies for coffee, which was very nice. We meet up there every couple of months, it's handy.

I nipped out to the shops in the afternoon, for what? I can't remember what I went out for!! Anyway got some spuds and bumped into Dd, she was going to school to pick up Dgd. The baby is now nearly 6 weeks old, and seems to have had a growth spurt - he's lost that newborn look, he's beautiful. I went to the school with her, then said bye bye to them - she was heading back home and they were going to their caravan for the weekend.

We've started decorating our sitting room, in a slightly warmer shade, cream with a hint of yellow. I need new curtains as well, they'll be expensive no doubt, even if I make them myself.

Not much on today - will have to do some shopping.

Hope everyone has a good day

Take care folks
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th May 18, 8:03 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 16,496 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 12th May 18, 8:03 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:03 AM
    Morning everyone

I woke up at the usual time and found that I didnít have any internet access and it has only just come back on. I felt so lost without it, it just goes to show how much I have come to rely on it..

It was a bit fresher yesterday but still nice and warm, if not as hot as last weekend. It was still warm enough to sit in the park and people watch for while though so that was good. Hopefully I will be able to get out this morning for a while the rain forecast for this area isnít until late this afternoon so I should be ok.

Every couple of months I have to clear out the cupboard in the entrance hall. It is a really large floor to ceiling cupboard four doors wide and of course itís where everything gets put when Iím in a hurry or I just donít know where to put it, and the time has come again, when it really has got to be sorted out. So that is one job for this afternoon.

Like Camelot I shall also be spending some time scraping moss off of the path. It does seem worse this year for some reason, or perhaps I just didnít do it as well last year!

There is one load of washing to do as well, but other than that, thankfully there isnít any housework that needs doing.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 3,776 Posts
    • 47,694 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 12th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:12 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.
    Overcast here today so we will be low on power. It was so chilly yesterday I lit the log burner for a clue of hours, it's no so windy now so it's a bit warmer.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th May 18, 8:25 AM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 20,077 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 12th May 18, 8:25 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:25 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's a fine and bright morning here. Steve has just made me a nice cup of tea and I am sat here planning my day.

The bbq was very nice but I ended up having an anxiety attack and had to leave after a short while. Unfortunately that coincided with the heavens opening so I got absolutely drenched on the way home. Once I had dried off and calmed down I was ok. Jemima is coming over with the kids today so I will get to spend some more time with them.

I have over bought eggs so we have 4 trays of them in the kitchen so I guess it's going to be a lot of omelettes in my future. I don't mind as I love eggs plus I wanted to make a quiche as I am sick of the bland and soggy ones you buy from a supermarket. It's so easy to knock one up from scratch I was just being lazy. I will probably make one in a minute and that will be lunch sorted.

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• MoneySavingEmma
    • By MoneySavingEmma 12th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    MoneySavingEmma
    • 12th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:28 AM
    Morning all,

Just a quick one as I finish my cuppa after a lovely leisurely breakfast in bed. Then I'll jump in the shower before heading out - just a few errands to do around town, a few bits to pick up from the supermarket, and a couple more bathroom places to pop into. Then we should have seen everywhere and can finally start making some decisions about the en suite!

OH is out tonight so I get peace and quiet and also get to eat what I want. Going to have something with sweet potato as he's not keen on them but I love them.

Sun is currently shining but rain will start this afternoon so want to get out while it's still nice.

Thoughts with anyone unwell or struggling and I hope you all have a very good Saturday
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 6,535 Posts
    • 41,890 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all.

Bright in Glasgow, fingers crossed it's the same when I get home.

Yesterday I took DM to the docs and then shopping. All DM's heart test results were normal so that's good. She's got a lunch guest today so I'll be zooming off for the final bits of shopping before going home.

Nothing else to report! I'm off to shower.

Happy Saturday to everyone.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 21,353 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Sunny morning, there seems to be no wind, so maybe it will be warmer than yesterday; I ended up going to bed and putting the electric blanket on I was so cold.

OH is going to wash the car this morning, he did the inside yesterday.

The pile on the sewing room bed is growing, I am trying to be sparing in what we take, we always seem to take something we do not need. I will make up rolls etc on Monday morning for our supper Monday night. Gearing myself up to tackle the M1, M42, M5 etc.......

Bacon, egg etc for supper tonight, do not know what happened to the cheese pie last night, it came out very sloppy..........
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 27,803 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Dry, bright and sunny here today, just been out to fill the bird feeders and itís quite warm too.

Back from our couple of days at Windsor Horse Show and it was brilliant, lots of beautiful, talented horses and has inspired me no end, watch out Lu
    We saw both Prince Phillip and HM the Queen whose Fell pony won the Championship for her breed, but biggest thrill for me was when we were sitting in a big marquee having something to eat and drink when a fella came and sat at the next table, it was Nick Skelton Our gold medal winning show jumper and my first crush
    There was endless opportunities for retail therapy but my purse stayed firmly shut, the only thing that I really wanted was a new fly / UV rug for Lu but the brand that fits her best didnít have a stand at the show and I wasnít going to risk another kind rubbing. I did pick up a goody bag from a feed supplier though so she has some treats etc.
    Back to the real world today and the house needs a going through, then itís off to ride Lu this afternoon and see if we can get her doing flying changes
    Have a good day folks x
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 16,084 Posts
    • 136,765 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums well bright and sunny at the moment but rain forecast for later. I have a bit of ironing to polish off then I am going to be baking later.
    I always enjoy baking when its raining for some reason chocolate chip cookies and a fruit cake and a quiche.Odds and ends of pastry to use up from the freezer. I have a yen for some cherry scones I made some last week and they made a nice change from ones with sultanas in and I seem to have about 4 pots of glace cherries in the cupboard !!!. Plus it helps to fill my big oven up when I am baking as I like to get extra cooking at the same time

Hope everyone has a great weekend and if you have some sun ,enjoy it

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19.This is for food only
    &/6/18 first food shop this month £13.48Second food shop £24.62making it £38.10 so far for July
    • Lindsay C
    • By Lindsay C 12th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Lindsay C
    Morning all, thanks for the lovely welcome.

Saturday is usually housework day as I work full time but DH and his mum want to take me birthday present shopping! Think she's after visiting concrete cow country as has more shops than our nearest town. Hopefully won't be out for hours as I do tire easy these days.

James Martin on record for later and a wash on. Not sure about risking it drying outside today as it looks a bit bleak out there. Boo cat fed and watered and just waiting for my injection site to calm before jumping in the shower. DH wants ribs chips and beans for his dinner - I'm undecided what I fancy.

Have a good day all x
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 12th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 21,236 Thanks
    snoozer
    dumpling, sorry about your anxiety attack, I hope you're feeling better today.

redruby, good luck with the cleaner, I couldn't have coped without one when I was working, I just wish I could justify (and afford) one now I don't work, I'd much rather spend my time doing other things than housework.

We're having a slow start to the day but we've not got much planned today. DH will take Ziggy for her walk because I'm weary after the last few days. Then we have to go into Skipton to meet friends for an early dinner and then a concert (ELO/10cc tribute band).
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 12th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 6,124 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    We seem to have lost TravellingAbuela
    I am hoping that they are just away having a nice relaxing week at their caravan?
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th May 18, 1:12 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 9,253 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Bonjour from a wet, windy & cold SW France A steady downpour I remember in years gone by visiting for my nephewís birthday in early February & having his party OUTSIDE The human race has a lot to answer for re what we are doing to our planet SORRY, I will get off my soapbox now

Anyways,

Thanks for starting us off nmlc & hope work is OK

AOD, sorry about the sleeplessness It is a vicious circle - you cannot sleep, so you work to exhaust yourself & still cannot sleep & then you worry so you still cannot sleep and round & round it goes I know lots of people only have showers now but I have found that if I have a nice warm bath with lots of bubbles, a cup of tea & a book that I do not mind if it gets wet then I can doze off for 20 minutes or so. Then I wrap up warm, dry hair, lie on bed (still wrapped up) & pull a cover over myself & usually wake a couple or three hours later feeling so much better. Apologies if you have already tried this

redruby, hope you have a good day at work & that the rain keeps the hordes away - just enough clients to help the day go by quickly

camelot, what a busy bee you have been

ScarletRibbons, I never go shopping without a list even if it only has one item on it I am easily distracted The colour sounds lovely as the does your Dgd

HollyHarvey, as I was reading I was getting worried I tend to think of the worst case scenario then find out it is something mundane like the internet not working Mind you, being a bit perverse, I would sooner think the worse & get a pleasant surprise . I envy you your large cupboard .......... but not the sorting out

Hester, whatever happened to May warmth & sunshine ? We had lovely weather yesterday but today has reverted to winter weather & DSis is just about to light the log burner

dumpling, sorry about the anxiety attack but you did the right thing for you regardless of getting drenched you are NOT lazy

MSE, good luck with the bathroom, the difficult bit is done - now for the messy bit

Gers, good news about your DM

LaineyT, sounds like you had a marvellous time & well done re keeping the purse strings tightly closed Poor Lu - donít work her too hard

JackieO, ooh I am so jealous really looking forward to getting back to my own kitchen

Lindsay C, have a great birthday !

snoozer, hope you have a lovely evening & enjoy the concert

The three of us (once we get warm ) will just be pottering around today decluttering & packing.

Have a good day everyone

MrsSD
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 10,824 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all .
    Today is dry and bright ( ish ). I have been busy this morning over the 'van. I'm sure that dust is taunting me as the van was full of it. Mr Fix It wanted to add another socket too, a satellite one this time and grease the underneath. Job done ! We called in B&q on the way home for a few bits and it was manic . Seemed everyone in the queue was buying paint !
    This afternoon I shall pull out all the van stuff and stack it in the spare bedroom. I suspect the dishes, glasses and pans will need washing too, even though they have been covered. I would like to mow the lawns but the grass is still wet from yesterday's rain, so probably won't get done before we go away on Tuesday. Never mind it's not going anywhere. I shall also stick some wallpaper back on the wall, luckily I still have some paste left from the other week. Failing that if it does not stick this time I shall nail it up .
    I am hoping to have a general tidy round too and put things back where they should be . Note to self "put it away and not just down" !!! In my defence, I get easily distracted
    Tea tonight will be chinese style pork steaks and salad, with oven chips for Mr Fix It and I'll have sweet potato fries with mine. I'm not too fussed on the thick chips that Mr Fix It likes. There is ice cream or a split lolly for pudding, should we want anything.
    LaineyT glad you had a good time away.
    TA thinking of you too. Hope all is OK.
    Holly good luck with the cupboard clearing. I've got one like that but it's called the office .
    Gers I'm glad your DM test results were OK
    AOD I shall send the Sandman your way tonight.
    Hope everyone is ok. Take care and the hug bucket is full, so please help yourselves.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th May 18, 3:00 PM
    • 16,411 Posts
    • 72,364 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

Pleased to say we can eat for another week but oh am I aching.

What a palava. Go to get Blackun some eye drops from the pharmacy...It's behind the counter stuff and I ought to have lied through my teeth when questioned on why it was needed as like an idiot I told them it was for my dog. It didn't matter go them that the vet knew she was using these particular eye drops and that she only has them when her eye is particularly bad, I couldn't have them.

Second chemist...sent Grump this time. He said they were for his wife...because I wasn't with him, he couldn't have them.

Third chemist, he said they were for him but they said his eyes weren't bad enough.

So then, in another supermarket an old man tried to give a young Mum a pound coin for her newborn baby, as was the custom of crossing the baby's palm with silver...what a mouthful he got in return....

Summer is almost upon us and the weekly ritual of popping into our local motorbike shop has begun. Grump hasn't ridden a motorbike for about 15 years but he still likes to keep abreast of what's new.

Summer dress has been bought. Bright red...should see me coming a mile off.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    Last edited by Judi; 12-05-2018 at 3:44 PM.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th May 18, 6:19 PM
    • 6,535 Posts
    • 41,890 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening - and it's semi-glorious here at Ger's Towers. Lovely bright sunshine, a slight breeze but still a bit nippy.

Travel home was so slow - it's the tourist season and they want to drive at 40 miles an hour in case a bend comes up, or because they want to look at the beautiful view, or because they are scared of wagons coming the other way, or any other reason which prevents them from coming within a hairs' breadth of 60 miles per hour.

Rant over...there's months of this to come.

I've unpacked, filled the bird feeders, fed myself and will now find a book to read so I can avoid the ESC,

The lovely local 'laird' called round on his 'I'm not dead yet' tour! He had a fall the other week down five of the huge stone spiral steps in his place. He's 84 years old so is very battered and bruised still. We shared a wee dram together which cheered us both up.

Happy evening to all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,366Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter