Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 11th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 5Thanks
    thenightqueen
    Can my mother still claim Tax Credits if me and partner move in with her?
    • 11th May 18, 3:22 PM
    Can my mother still claim Tax Credits if me and partner move in with her? 11th May 18 at 3:22 PM
    Hello! I'm new here.

Recently, we've decided to leave our rented house after my mum very kindly offered us to move in with her to save for our own house and get rid of our debts quicker by eliminating almost £700 in rent a month! We are obviously very grateful.

I'm just curious, however, will my Mum still be able to claim her Tax Credits if we move in with her? She won't be making any profit from us - we're just making up the difference in bills (so when the water bill goes up, she will still pay the same and we will just pay the rest). She's single and has 3 kids in education. I think she earns less than £25,000 so maybe she gets working tax credits too?

Really, I'm just asking if she will need to update the tax man that we're living there and whether our incomes will affect her tax credits, as we earn around £35,000 between us before tax and everything else.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by thenightqueen; 11-05-2018 at 8:29 PM.
Page 1
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 11th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 11th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:42 PM
    How big is her house if she can magic up an extra bedroom for you and your partner ?

Her tax credit claim won't be affected but Housing Benefit and Council Tax support will/B]
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 11th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thenightqueen
    • 11th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:48 PM
    She's not magic-ing up an extra room. It's going to be a struggle but worth it - although that's not what I'm asking about here.

I'm not sure she gets housing benefit. If her Tax Credits would have been affected we would have just paid her the difference, but just want to know what the score is so she's not overpaid by the gov. or anything.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 27,264 Posts
    • 16,312 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:25 PM
    How big is her house if she can magic up an extra bedroom for you and your partner ?
    What an extraordinary comment!

And how is it relevant to the OP's query?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 27,264 Posts
    • 16,312 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:29 PM
    OP, has your mother checked on her Council Tax situation if you move in?

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 11th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 11th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:30 PM
    I think posters will need to know what benefits your mother is in receipt of (if any) before they can give you any advice, OP. Can you find out?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th May 18, 6:20 PM
    • 38,120 Posts
    • 160,298 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 11th May 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11th May 18, 6:20 PM
    She's single and has 3 kids in education.
    So likely that she is entitled to single person discount on council tax. with another 2 adults in the property, she would need to contact the council and inform them she is no longer claiming the discount.
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 11th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thenightqueen
    • 11th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:34 PM
    Given that your mother is a lone parent on a low income, don't you think the pair of you should fully pay your way in the household?
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    Surely that's not really anyone's business but my own?
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 11th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thenightqueen
    • 11th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:36 PM
    So likely that she is entitled to single person discount on council tax. with another 2 adults in the property, she would need to contact the council and inform them she is no longer claiming the discount.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    My brother leaves college soon, he's 19 in August so we already knew this would happen and have already committed to paying our fair share of it. Sorry, I'm not very good with all tax credits etc. I didn't realise that Council Tax would fall under that category! I think I'll find out exactly what she's entitled to.
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 11th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thenightqueen
    Please, I'd like no more opinions. I'm just looking for money advice which is why I came to this forum in the first place. I've already asked my close friends and family for opinions who know me and my family personally. I've spoken at length with my mum. She wants to help us save for our own house. She wants us to just match the difference in bills so she's not paying any extra money so we can save as much as we can and be out of her hair sooner. My siblings are not young.
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 12th May 18, 3:14 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Nannytone
    What an extraordinary comment!

And how is it relevant to the OP's query?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    I was just curious. I never said it was relevant

I did answer the question posed by saying that any Housing Benefit and Council Tax support could be affected8
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 12th May 18, 8:19 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thenightqueen
    Iíve spoken to my mum. All she receives is Child Tax - so am I right in thinking that wonít be affected?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Iíve spoken to my mum. All she receives is Child Tax - so am I right in thinking that wonít be affected?
    Originally posted by thenightqueen
    That's correct. She must also receive the single person discount for her council tax, if you move in with her then it will affect this. She'll need to report the changes to her local council.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 12th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Surely that's not really anyone's business but my own?
    Sorry, you did ask for opinions and you did say it would be a struggle for her to manage.
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 12th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thenightqueen
    Sorry, you did ask for opinions and you did say it would be a struggle for her to manage.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    If you can show me where I asked for opinions, as I can't seem to see that? In my original post, I asked if she needed to update the tax man. I can't see where I have asked for people's opinions on anything else.

I meant it would be a struggle as there would be 6 of us in 1 house. We are paying the difference in bills so that she's not paying any extra than she is now, and not that it's anyone else's business but she is not struggling financially now so wouldn't be struggling financially when we move in. I would not put my mother in such a situation that she would be struggling with money.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 13th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    Newly retired
    My brother leaves college soon, he's 19 in August so we already knew this would happen and have already committed to paying our fair share of it. Sorry, I'm not very good with all tax credits etc. I didn't realise that Council Tax would fall under that category! I think I'll find out exactly what she's entitled to.
    Council Tax does not fall under Tax Credits. It is administered by the local authority. Your mum will need to inform them of the change of circumstances. She will lose the single person discount, and there may be a change given that non dependent adults earning money will be living there.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 14th May 18, 7:15 AM
    • 17,019 Posts
    • 41,939 Thanks
    FBaby
    Not sure why you are given a hard time. There are so many threads about how hard it is for young people to get on the housing ladder and that not everyone has the chance to live with your mum and dad so you can save for a deposit. Well you have that chance, of course you should grab it. Save hard so you can have a deposit accumulated as soon as possible so not to be a burden on your mum for too long and make sure you help around A LOT, with your siblings and house chores so that she gets some benefits from it too.
    • thenightqueen
    • By thenightqueen 14th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thenightqueen
    Not sure why you are given a hard time. There are so many threads about how hard it is for young people to get on the housing ladder and that not everyone has the chance to live with your mum and dad so you can save for a deposit. Well you have that chance, of course you should grab it. Save hard so you can have a deposit accumulated as soon as possible so not to be a burden on your mum for too long and make sure you help around A LOT, with your siblings and house chores so that she gets some benefits from it too.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Thank you - this is the sole reason we're doing it. Otherwise I feel it will be hopeless for us to get on the property ladder, especially with our debts looming over us. We're setting up a standing order for our rent immediately to go into Help to Buy savings once our overdraft is paid off and my partner has done an intensive driving course and got a car (just because it opens him up to more jobs and therefore more money). Any extra thereafter will go on debts to get them cleared asap.

Yes 100%, I really appreciate what she's doing so I am obviously more than happy to help around the house. When she goes on weekends away we will look after the kids, my boyfriend is going to train her dog for her as she doesn't have the time (or patience lol) and I'm quite happy hoovering and loading and unloading the dishwasher etc as I've had to do it for at least 5 years now of living on my own, it's a habit.
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 14th May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    cantcope
    try and book an appointment at citizens advice with your mum. that way they can go through exactly what she's entitled to. it may be that shes not getting something she should and vice versa.
    this way you can move in knowing she wont be suffering tax credit wise x
    good luck
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 £16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,486Posts Today

7,842Users online

Martin's Twitter