Visiting the US for one day...issues?

Hi all

I plan to visit the US for one day in either June or September for a dinner. Flying in on the morning of the dinner and flying back to the UK the day after.

I visit the US 2 or 3 times a year for vacation. I don't want to jeopardise that, and I know its probably a silly question, but is only having a 24 hour stay planned likely to cause problems at immigration when I arrive or is such an itinerary not that out of the ordinary?

I'd either be flying into JFK or DTW depending on which dinner I attend.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nothing out of the ordinary. I've done it for business on a couple of occasions.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Not a problem as long as your esta and paperwork are in order. I have done it a few times. The TSA officer may quiz you more and if you get one with a sense of humour they may take the mickey out of you for stopping only for dinner.
    Have fun.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We stayed for 5 hours last month, as we had to change flights in Dallas. Still had to enter through immigration and then depart again. Had no problems whatsoever.
  • stevie11 wrote: »
    Not a problem as long as your esta and paperwork are in order. I have done it a few times. The TSA officer may quiz you more and if you get one with a sense of humour they may take the mickey out of you for stopping only for dinner.
    Have fun.

I've never known a TSA officer to have a sense of humour or even a welcoming attitude.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've never known a TSA officer to have a sense of humour or even a welcoming attitude.
    They're fine if you're fine. They're just people.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • EssexExile wrote: »
    They're fine if you're fine. They're just people.

I'm perfectly polite to them and I appreciate the job they have to do.

However I've never come across one that has smiled (regardless of the time of arrival) or bordered on pleasant
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite

However I've never come across one that has smiled (regardless of the time of arrival) or bordered on pleasant

I suppose they don't have to be nice or even smile just doing their job. Twice last year at Lax I got the same TSA officer from hell, answered all his questions politely but both times sent me to secondary for no reason, needless to say I missed my connection on one occasion.

On the flip side I have had a few that have been pleasant and a couple that given me advice on places to visit and good bars etc.

People have good and bad days I suppose apart from the TEA officer from he'll who must permanently have a bad day:(
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

Maybe you've just been unlucky
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Jan1975
    Jan1975 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Don!!!8217;t see any issues. My OH was Chairman of a UK company with a US arm. We went to the US every two weeks for one or two nights on ESTA for three years. The TSA have pulled us several times and I have found the easiest and speediest way to get through it is to say nothing more than a simple answer to their question. Anything more than 10 words in a sentence and they!!!8217;re not interested!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure