Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bairn7
    • By bairn7 11th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 480Posts
    • 148Thanks
    bairn7
    0 WOW
    Visiting the US for one day...issues?
    • 11th May 18, 7:48 AM
    0 WOW
    Visiting the US for one day...issues? 11th May 18 at 7:48 AM
    Hi all

I plan to visit the US for one day in either June or September for a dinner. Flying in on the morning of the dinner and flying back to the UK the day after.

I visit the US 2 or 3 times a year for vacation. I don't want to jeopardise that, and I know its probably a silly question, but is only having a 24 hour stay planned likely to cause problems at immigration when I arrive or is such an itinerary not that out of the ordinary?

I'd either be flying into JFK or DTW depending on which dinner I attend.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 11th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    cubegame
    • 11th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:00 AM
    Nothing out of the ordinary. I've done it for business on a couple of occasions.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 11th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 11th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:46 AM
    Not a problem as long as your esta and paperwork are in order. I have done it a few times. The TSA officer may quiz you more and if you get one with a sense of humour they may take the mickey out of you for stopping only for dinner.
    Have fun.
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 14th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    sandsy
    • 14th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 14th May 18, 7:35 PM
    We stayed for 5 hours last month, as we had to change flights in Dallas. Still had to enter through immigration and then depart again. Had no problems whatsoever.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 14th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 14th May 18, 9:48 PM
    Not a problem as long as your esta and paperwork are in order. I have done it a few times. The TSA officer may quiz you more and if you get one with a sense of humour they may take the mickey out of you for stopping only for dinner.
    Have fun.
    Originally posted by stevie11
    I've never known a TSA officer to have a sense of humour or even a welcoming attitude.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 14th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 14th May 18, 10:02 PM
    I've never known a TSA officer to have a sense of humour or even a welcoming attitude.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    They're fine if you're fine. They're just people.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 14th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 14th May 18, 11:31 PM
    They're fine if you're fine. They're just people.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    I'm perfectly polite to them and I appreciate the job they have to do.

However I've never come across one that has smiled (regardless of the time of arrival) or bordered on pleasant
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 15th May 18, 3:30 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 15th May 18, 3:30 AM
    • 15th May 18, 3:30 AM

However I've never come across one that has smiled (regardless of the time of arrival) or bordered on pleasant
    I suppose they don't have to be nice or even smile just doing their job. Twice last year at Lax I got the same TSA officer from hell, answered all his questions politely but both times sent me to secondary for no reason, needless to say I missed my connection on one occasion.

On the flip side I have had a few that have been pleasant and a couple that given me advice on places to visit and good bars etc.

People have good and bad days I suppose apart from the TEA officer from he'll who must permanently have a bad day
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 15th May 18, 6:46 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 11,801 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 15th May 18, 6:46 AM
    • 15th May 18, 6:46 AM

Maybe you've just been unlucky
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Jan1975
    • By Jan1975 16th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jan1975
    Don!!!8217;t see any issues. My OH was Chairman of a UK company with a US arm. We went to the US every two weeks for one or two nights on ESTA for three years. The TSA have pulled us several times and I have found the easiest and speediest way to get through it is to say nothing more than a simple answer to their question. Anything more than 10 words in a sentence and they!!!8217;re not interested!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,472Users online

Martin's Twitter