Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • davaodave
    • By davaodave 10th May 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Universal credits.
    • #1
    • 10th May 18, 9:56 PM
    Universal credits. 10th May 18 at 9:56 PM
    This is my first post on MSE Forums.
    I'm hoping that someone out there has the answer to my question.
    Here goes.......I am self employed ,married with Two kids and I'm currently in receipt of Working tax credits and Child tax credits. This will change over to Universal credits for us sometime before the end of this year or early next year.
    Is this change over automatic, or do we have to reapply for this new benefit?
    The reason I'm asking is because we want to stop claiming either benefit altogether. We have what we deem to be a livable income and have some money left over for some small luxuries. We want to stand on our own Two feet and not be an uneccessary burden on our system. What would the income level be that would make us ineligble for those benefits? Can we just say no to Universal credit? If we don't apply for it will they contact us to get us to make a claim?
    Any help/advice or news from someone in a similar position would be great.
    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 10th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 17,728 Posts
    • 31,353 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • #2
    • 10th May 18, 10:03 PM
    Why do you think you'll be moved?

    Managed migration - when the DWP/Tax credits people move you over - isn't due to start until next year. It will take years for everyone to be moved. Until you're moved you stay on tax credits. If you're moved under managed migration then you'll get transitional protection so you'll still get the same amount of money as long as your circumstances don't change.

    If you want to stop benefits you can do, you need to contact them about it.

    If you stop tax credits then you might not be eligible for them again - you'd have to claim Universal Credit instead. When this happens is different depending on where you live.

    If you close your current claim then you won't be contacted about UC, it'll be up to you to apply for it if/when you want to and are eligible.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • venison
    • By venison 10th May 18, 11:42 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th May 18, 11:42 PM
    • #3
    • 10th May 18, 11:42 PM
    Claiming what its yours by law isn't being a burden on anybody, already billions go unclaimed in all manner of benefits every year.
    Brexit here we c................crash.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 11th May 18, 6:36 AM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th May 18, 6:36 AM
    • #4
    • 11th May 18, 6:36 AM
    Suggest that stick to current position or risk losing out and making your life more complicated.

    Unless your circumstances change, you don't need to be doing anything.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,684Posts Today

8,417Users online

Martin's Twitter