Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 12,819Posts
    • 11,546Thanks
    jimjames
    I'm a Multi Millionaire - or maybe not...
    • 10th May 18, 8:33 PM
    I'm a Multi Millionaire - or maybe not... 10th May 18 at 8:33 PM
    I'm still a user of MS Money and use a handy bit of software called MSMoney Quotes to continue to get prices for my investments.

Thought I'd struck it lucky today when I updated and the portfolio was showing a net worth of 6 million. Very disappointed to do some digging and found out that a few holdings had prices switched from pounds to pence so I can't buy the Ferrari yet. It looks like it's happening occasionally in the price history. I'll report it to the developer but I'm guessing if it's the feed then there won't be much he can do.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Page 1
    • Aegis
    • By Aegis 10th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    Aegis
    • 10th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:44 PM
    I've had a similar issue with Google Sheets before, where the feed from Google Finance suddenly switched from GBP to GBx on half of my holdings. Naturally I changed every calculation over only to have the feed reverse the change a day or two later.

Annoying, but it was pretty obvious that something was wrong (similar level of error to yours!).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 10th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 10th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:49 PM
    I updated and the portfolio was showing a net worth of 6 million.
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Updating your portfolio for anything less than 6m would be a complete waste of time....
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 10th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Shedman
    • 10th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:30 PM
    There is a fix makes sure all prices are in the correct format regardless of whether MSN Money incorrectly reports them (I too thought I was wealthier than I am - especially when it's a small holding that gets misreported and hence isn't as obvious as an extra 1m or two ) by modifying the SymbolMap.csv file as below (I did it for all my shares and funds even if they hadn't all misreported and it all seems to work ok):

From Gaier Software Details and Help page under the -m option help

"To use, you'll need to manually modify the SymbolMap.csv file. Basically for any security that MSN Money is reporting the incorrect currency, you'll want to override the currency via the SymbolMap.csv file. For example, if MSN Money is returning the currency for RDSB as GBP (which is incorrect), you'll want to tell my program to actually interpret the prices as GBX. You an do this via the extra column in the SymbolMap.csv file (add ,GBX ).
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX "
    Last edited by Shedman; 10-05-2018 at 9:52 PM.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 9,963 Posts
    • 10,248 Thanks
    Linton
    • 10th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:51 PM
    This is a known problem and appears to arise from errors in the data feed. The latest version of Ms Money Quotes on the Gaiersoft website has the facility described by Shedman whereby you can specify the currency.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    Has anyone else had similar problems?
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Yes, and it seems to depend on the time of day when you update prices. Updating while the market is open seems more reliable than when it's closed.

Shedman: Thanks I'll give that a try.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 10th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 3,997 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    • 10th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 10th May 18, 11:05 PM
    i once had an investment (a newly issued corporate bond) showing at 100x its actual value, on a real platform, not just MS money. fun while it lasted
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 12,819 Posts
    • 11,546 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 10th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 10th May 18, 11:11 PM
    Thanks Shedman, much appreciated with your info, I'll give that a try!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,684Users online

Martin's Twitter