I'm a Multi Millionaire - or maybe not...

I'm still a user of MS Money and use a handy bit of software called MSMoney Quotes to continue to get prices for my investments.

Thought I'd struck it lucky today when I updated and the portfolio was showing a net worth of £6 million. Very disappointed to do some digging and found out that a few holdings had prices switched from pounds to pence so I can't buy the Ferrari yet. It looks like it's happening occasionally in the price history. I'll report it to the developer but I'm guessing if it's the feed then there won't be much he can do.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've had a similar issue with Google Sheets before, where the feed from Google Finance suddenly switched from GBP to GBx on half of my holdings. Naturally I changed every calculation over only to have the feed reverse the change a day or two later.

Annoying, but it was pretty obvious that something was wrong (similar level of error to yours!).
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    I updated and the portfolio was showing a net worth of £6 million.

Updating your portfolio for anything less than £6m would be a complete waste of time....
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 May 2018 at 9:52PM
    There is a fix makes sure all prices are in the correct format regardless of whether MSN Money incorrectly reports them (I too thought I was wealthier than I am - especially when it's a small holding that gets misreported and hence isn't as obvious as an extra £1m or two :D ) by modifying the SymbolMap.csv file as below (I did it for all my shares and funds even if they hadn't all misreported and it all seems to work ok):

From Gaier Software Details and Help page under the -m option help

"To use, you'll need to manually modify the SymbolMap.csv file. Basically for any security that MSN Money is reporting the incorrect currency, you'll want to override the currency via the SymbolMap.csv file. For example, if MSN Money is returning the currency for RDSB as GBP (which is incorrect), you'll want to tell my program to actually interpret the prices as GBX. You an do this via the extra column in the SymbolMap.csv file (add ,GBX ).
    RDSB,151.1.RDSB.LON,GBX "
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    This is a known problem and appears to arise from errors in the data feed. The latest version of Ms Money Quotes on the Gaiersoft website has the facility described by Shedman whereby you can specify the currency.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    Has anyone else had similar problems?
    Yes, and it seems to depend on the time of day when you update prices. Updating while the market is open seems more reliable than when it's closed.

Shedman: Thanks I'll give that a try.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    i once had an investment (a newly issued corporate bond) showing at 100x its actual value, on a real platform, not just MS money. fun while it lasted :)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Shedman, much appreciated with your info, I'll give that a try!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure