Barclays won't update address

My brother sold his house in 2009, having been widowed four years earlier, and went off travelling abroad with the proceeds. Not having a UK address any more, he gave my address as a 'care of' address to his bank and his bank statements arrived at my address each month. Two years ago he married an American woman he met on his travels and they both now live at her home in Texas. Both my brother and myself have informed Barclays on several occasions that he is now permanently residing at his wife's home in Texas but they refuse to update their records. They have also refused to send him a new debit card. Their reason for this is that his signature looks different to the one he had years ago when he opened the account. They can see from withdrawals that he's been travelling and is now in Texas. They have said he will have to sort out the matter when/if he returns to the UK and can go into a branch with ID. Is this normal...?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Topnotch wrote: »
    Is this normal...?

Whether it's normal or not I don't know, but it is reasonable - they can't positively identify him so won't accept instructions until they can.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Yes I agree with the above I think that you would probably not expect a bank to act on instructions unless they could positively identify the person - normally a letter with signature would do of course but if the signature has changed then that will not be accepted

your brother should call them from Texas and see what can be done it may be that he can post certified copies of documents etc without having to visit the UK
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    By the way there are Barclays branches in Dallas and Houston he may be able to identify himself there - no idea of course if that is possible but it is certainly maybe worth trying
  • Topnotch
    Topnotch Posts: 7 Forumite
    He did go into Barclays in Texas but they said they only deal with corporate banking and couldn't help.
  • Topnotch
    Topnotch Posts: 7 Forumite
    That's a good idea. I'll suggest it to him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure