Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 9th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,121Posts
    • 753Thanks
    wizzywig27
    HSBC Advance Upgrade
    • 9th May 18, 7:12 PM
    HSBC Advance Upgrade 9th May 18 at 7:12 PM
    Been trying to find an answer to this, as of yet I canít seem to find a difinitive one and even the bank canít tell me.

I have an account with HSBC but donít use it. Due to the mess over at TSB Iíve considered using HSBC. I applied to upgrade my account last year and was told no as I donít meet the internal criteria.

My question is, if I start to pay my salary in (which exceeds the min income) do they just upgrade my account after three months without a credit check?

I popped into the branch to ask, he just said yeah and nodded and said yeah (not sure he understood my question), so I called up. She said that as long as I fund £10,500 within 3-6 months then I will. I asked if three months of minimum £1,750 (as stated on here and to me previously) was enough and she just said again £10,500 in 3-6 months. I am really confused and their call centres and rubbish
Page 1
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 13,317 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 9th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:47 PM
    I popped into the branch to ask, he just said yeah and nodded and said yeah (not sure he understood my question), so I called up. She said that as long as I fund £10,500 within 3-6 months then I will. I asked if three months of minimum £1,750 (as stated on here and to me previously) was enough and she just said again £10,500 in 3-6 months. I am really confused and their call centres and rubbish
    Originally posted by wizzywig27
    TSB don't seem so bad now do they?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 9th May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:56 PM
    No answer for you, I'm afraid, but if you are certain that you want to move your banking away rom TSB then why don't your try it and see? If it doesn't pan out the way you hope then you haven't lost anything and can look for an alternative.

Other than the 5% regular saver, why do you particularly want an Advance account?
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 9th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    • 9th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:02 PM
    Well I was with Halifax with an overdraft of 2k. They then decided to fleece people with their overdraft charges so I paid up and left. I have done a few switches and got a bit of cash from it but want to settle with a bank and start to build that banking relationship I had.

One of the main reasons I wanted to bank with HSBC is simply because they are the only bank I have that I haven!!!8217;t tried if that makes sense. They all come with their own frustrations and perks. If I do bank with them I!!!8217;d like to have the advance though
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 13,317 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 9th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:12 PM
    One of the main reasons I wanted to bank with HSBC is simply because they are the only bank I have that I haven't tried if that makes sense. They all come with their own frustrations and perks. If I do bank with them I'd like to have the advance though
    That's true, and HSBC is no exception. If your experience so far hasn't persuaded you of that then there are plenty of people on this forum who can advise you it is just as true for HSBC as any other bank.

The best approach is to have current accounts with at least 2 different banking groups and accept that from time to time one of them will foul up. Having more than one account gives you flexibility if one bank is having issues with itself, or with you.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 9th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:29 PM
    I agree with EachPenny: no bank is perfect. Each of them have quirks that will both please and irritate you.

If you want to try banking with HSBC then that is fine, but you haven't explained why you want the Advance account. Other than the 5% regular saver (and you can get the same or similar elsewhere - First Direct (£300p/m); M&S (£250p/m); Santander (£200p/m); Nationwide (£250p/m) - the only other advantages I can see over their normal account is a higher daily cash withdrawal limit (£500, rather than £300) and full 24 hour telephone banking (rather than 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.). Are either of these big factors in your decision?
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 9th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    • 9th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:37 PM
    At the moment I have 5 accounts (due to switches etc).

I tried NatWest, didn!!!8217;t like the fact they didn!!!8217;t show pending transactions and so many times payments would leave my account late in the day causing me problems with potentially going overdrawn.

TSB are pretty good, but the fact they are taking one of the perks away soon (£5 for two direct debits) is annoying and apart from that they don!!!8217;t offer much else.

B - I don!!!8217;t like the way their app shows transactions - for example payments due out on a Monday sometimes show up on a weekend with a clock and stay pending for ages, then if you miss a direct debit it falls off your account entirely so you had no idea it was even attempted. Strange.

HSBC - no problems really as hadn!!!8217;t used them much although customer service is overseas and problematic.

Nationwide - this is a basic account - only have it to take advantage of the refer a friend offer

As you can see, I am quite picky. I loved Halifax until the screwed me. It wasn!!!8217;t the fact they screwed me it was the fact they didn!!!8217;t even use lube.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 9th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:47 PM
    So, as I have asked twice already, why do you particularly want the Advance account rather than the normal account, which you already have? You haven't given any reason for this, yet you seem to only want to leave TSB if you can get it. Why?
    • Savings1234
    • By Savings1234 9th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Savings1234
    • 9th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:37 PM
    No, you don't necessarily qualify for an automatic upgrade without a credit check after a certain amount of time meeting the £1750 PM criteria.
    If you are going to start meeting the criteria of £1750 PM i would go to branch and complete a full application with credit check, you don't need to wait until you start paying the money in, however you may need proof of the income (TSB statement or payslip)
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 10th May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I'd suggest that you aren't going to get any satisfaction from HSBC.
    Nationwide, TSB and even B are much better imo.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 10th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    I agree with EachPenny: no bank is perfect. Each of them have quirks that will both please and irritate you.

If you want to try banking with HSBC then that is fine, but you haven't explained why you want the Advance account. Other than the 5% regular saver (and you can get the same or similar elsewhere - First Direct (£300p/m); M&S (£250p/m); Santander (£200p/m); Nationwide (£250p/m) - the only other advantages I can see over their normal account is a higher daily cash withdrawal limit (£500, rather than £300) and full 24 hour telephone banking (rather than 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.). Are either of these big factors in your decision?
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    The £500 withdrawal would come in handy (NatWest told me the system said I could have £500 then when she went to do it, it said no) and the 5% savings account would also be of interest. First direct wonít accept me, donít want to risk M&S.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 10th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    No, you don't necessarily qualify for an automatic upgrade without a credit check after a certain amount of time meeting the £1750 PM criteria.
    If you are going to start meeting the criteria of £1750 PM i would go to branch and complete a full application with credit check, you don't need to wait until you start paying the money in, however you may need proof of the income (TSB statement or payslip)
    Originally posted by Savings1234
    Well then Iíve been misinformed on here and over the phone
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 10th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    I'd suggest that you aren't going to get any satisfaction from HSBC.
    Nationwide, TSB and even B are much better imo.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    See the post above, nationwide is a Basic bank account, TSB have gone down on my estimation since this debacle and following poor customer service from the CEO (his office) themselves and B - I just donít feel they meet my banking needs. Canít explain why.

Although last week the app did start playing up telling me I needed the internet to use the app (I did) - it then wouldnít let me log on with my user details. These things happen donít get me wrong, but Iím not a fan of their app
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 11th May 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    See the post above, nationwide is a Basic bank account, TSB have gone down on my estimation since this debacle and following poor customer service from the CEO (his office) themselves and B - I just donít feel they meet my banking needs. Canít explain why.

Although last week the app did start playing up telling me I needed the internet to use the app (I did) - it then wouldnít let me log on with my user details. These things happen donít get me wrong, but Iím not a fan of their app
    The implied point (that you don't seem to get) is that those providers are better than HSBC and you aren't happy.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 11th May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    The implied point (that you don't seem to get) is that those providers are better than HSBC and you aren't happy.
    But isnít that subjective? Plus, and I dont mean this the way it sounds, my original question wasnt related to customer service, it was regarding upgrading to the advance account

Edit: I do get it, its just a moot point
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 11th May 18, 8:50 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    You are absolutely correct that anybody else's view of customer service is completely subjective. If you want to see how HSBC pans out then you are perfectly free to do so.

Thanks for answering my question about why you wanted the HSBC account. Do you really feel the need to be able to withdraw £500 at a time from a cashpoint? Withdrawals at the counter can be made for larger amounts. As your other criteria was the regular saver, then Nationwide offer 5% on £250 p/m too, so if HSBC won't give you the upgrade why not make better use of your Nationwide account (or perhaps you already do)? If Nationwide is used up and you don't want to try M&S (no reason to think that their decision will be the same as First Direct, by the way) then Santander will give you 5% on £200 p/m with a 123 Lite account, and cashback on direct debits for £1 per month.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 14th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    You are absolutely correct that anybody else's view of customer service is completely subjective. If you want to see how HSBC pans out then you are perfectly free to do so.

Thanks for answering my question about why you wanted the HSBC account. Do you really feel the need to be able to withdraw £500 at a time from a cashpoint? Withdrawals at the counter can be made for larger amounts. As your other criteria was the regular saver, then Nationwide offer 5% on £250 p/m too, so if HSBC won't give you the upgrade why not make better use of your Nationwide account (or perhaps you already do)? If Nationwide is used up and you don't want to try M&S (no reason to think that their decision will be the same as First Direct, by the way) then Santander will give you 5% on £200 p/m with a 123 Lite account, and cashback on direct debits for £1 per month.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I have had the need to withdraw amounts of higher than £300 on occasions in the past, admittedly it isnt every week but the need is sometimes there.

I read the conditions of having the saving account with Nationwide and it states you have to have a 'main current account' - I am not sure if their basic account is classed as a main bank account or not. I would try M&S but think if HSBC said no to Advance and FD said no, I am sure they all have the same(ish) criteria.

I used to have a Santander account - long story (if you are interested look up my previous posts) - but of these reasons I would never bank with them again.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 14th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I have had the need to withdraw amounts of higher than £300 on occasions in the past, admittedly it isnt every week but the need is sometimes there.

I read the conditions of having the saving account with Nationwide and it states you have to have a 'main current account' - I am not sure if their basic account is classed as a main bank account or not. I would try M&S but think if HSBC said no to Advance and FD said no, I am sure they all have the same(ish) criteria.

I used to have a Santander account - long story (if you are interested look up my previous posts) - but of these reasons I would never bank with them again.
    Nationwide have main current account criteria on their website but a FlexBasic never gets those goodies. It does offer the ability to upgrade directly to a FlexDirect or FlexAccount plus £500 ATM withdrawals.

Knock yourself out with HSBC - was simply highlighting they have a poor reputation (on MSE) and in my experience they are substantially inferior to Nationwide, TSB or even Clydesdale/ Yorkshire Bank.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 14th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Nationwide have main current account criteria on their website but a FlexBasic never gets those goodies. It does offer the ability to upgrade directly to a FlexDirect or FlexAccount plus £500 ATM withdrawals.

Knock yourself out with HSBC - was simply highlighting they have a poor reputation (on MSE) and in my experience they are substantially inferior to Nationwide, TSB or even Clydesdale/ Yorkshire Bank.
    Yeah I appreciate that, thanks. I would bank with Nationwide, but not with a FlexBasic account, which is an inferior product to what I have with any of my other accounts, so they would be the last ones I try whilst its a basic account. I did contact them to ask about upgrading and I got a response stating I would need to apply?!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Relationship with bank ? Waste of your hopes, there. I banked with Midland then HSBC, of course, from 17.

In our late 50s we were able to manage a Premier Aacount, but the perks were gradually peeled away and they were only after our fees for investments. Travel insurance extras were very expensive

Very happy with Nationwide Flex Plus
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,699Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin