PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I need to register with the ICO

As a landlord with a single property I need to comply with the new data protection rules.
As I read it, there is no need to register with the ICO if I dont hold any tenant personal details on my computer.
Does anyone have any other views / comments?

Comments

• Adereterial
    Adereterial Posts: 549 Forumite
    The new rules don’t just apply to electronic information. If you hold personal data in any form, you must comply unless you (as the business) are exempt. There are toolkits and guides on the ICO website that will help you work out what you need to do and what you don’t.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,661
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Even if they did only apply to electronic information...mobile phone, email?

It is not just about registering with the ICO, it is about having things documented and processes in place. Chances are they are unlikely to come after you, but if you run a business you should be falling in line.

It is not that much work in the main, it is just a case of filtering through pages and pages of information and reducing it down to what you actually need.

You need a document which states what information you hold - name, address, address history, bank details, date of birth, employment details etc etc. Why you need it (credit checks, next of kin etc), what you use it for, where it is stored, when you will delete it - if you will.

You need to have a privacy policy in place, this will document what you hold, why you hold it, who you share it with, who to write to if they have a complaint and how long they will need to wait for a response, right to be forgotten etc.

I know that seems a lot, but when you are reading hundreds of pages and you can reduce it down to a few paragraphs, its not too bad. There could be more to it than that. Because of the industry I work in we already have a lot of regulation, some of which goes over and above these new rules, so I have just listed what I have had to do in addition to what I normally do.

There are some good groups on facebook.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The new data protection rules haven't changed the registration requirement. The registration requirement has existed since 1998.

Personally, I would not bother registering with the ICO just because I own a single property.

I can't imagine many sole-property landlords have registered, or that the ICO would be remotely interested in this segment.

If I had a portfolio with many properties or ran a letting agent business, then I would register.
  • greenery
    greenery Posts: 976
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone, The more i read, the more differing information I come across. I am more or less ok with what I need to do to comply, except for the registration with ICO.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The new rules don’t just apply to electronic information. If you hold personal data in any form, you must comply unless you (as the business) are exempt. There are toolkits and guides on the ICO website that will help you work out what you need to do and what you don’t.

... but the ICO website says

"Organisations that do not process personal information on a computer are exempt. You therefore do not have to register with the ICO "

(having gone through the self-assessment checklist)
  • Adereterial
    Adereterial Posts: 549 Forumite
    googler wrote: »
    ... but the ICO website says

"Organisations that do not process personal information on a computer are exempt. You therefore do not have to register with the ICO "

(having gone through the self-assessment checklist)

Then you have your answer, correct?

You also said ‘hold’ and not ‘processed’ in your post.

Are you absolutely sure you don’t have any personal information electronically about these tenants? Any emails? Phone numbers on your mobile? Credit reports or references? All of that counts as electronic data, and as personal data.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure