Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ferry
    • By ferry 8th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,666Posts
    • 252Thanks
    ferry
    150 to supply &fit filling loop
    • 8th May 18, 10:14 PM
    150 to supply &fit filling loop 8th May 18 at 10:14 PM
    Just thought I would run this by you lot.
    Older Vaillant combi boiler and the filling loop needa replacing. I have been quoted 150 to supply and fit.
    No expert of course but does this sound a tad expensive.?..or maybe about right?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • MoneySavingMole
    • By MoneySavingMole 8th May 18, 10:21 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    MoneySavingMole
    • 8th May 18, 10:21 PM
    • 8th May 18, 10:21 PM
    It all depends on where you live, whether it's an internal/external filling link etc. etc.

Without seeing the job, I couldn't really give a comparison.
    I'd ask if they'll Service the boiler aswell for the 150.

Try contacting a couple of other local Gas Engineers and ask them?
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Chipped away at my mortgage, then released 20,000 for a single extension - Currently 90,000+/- over 18 years!
    Best MoneySaving Moments of 2017?
    - Received 673 for a delayed RyanAir flight by using Bott&Co
    - Saved 241 on Tyres using blackcircles.com
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 9th May 18, 12:29 AM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 9th May 18, 12:29 AM
    • 9th May 18, 12:29 AM
    Just thought I would run this by you lot.
    Older Vaillant combi boiler and the filling loop needa replacing. I have been quoted 150 to supply and fit.
    No expert of course but does this sound a tad expensive.?..or maybe about right?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by ferry
    What part or parts need replacing?

The filling loop on our boiler is just a flexible hose between two valves.

If all that is required is a new flexible hose then that is either an easy DIY job or I would have thought rather less than than 150 for a suitably qualified tradesman.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 9th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    HHarry
    • 9th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:01 AM
    Well a basic 'standard' filling loop is 9 from Screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/combi-straight-filling-loop/46605

But if you're not sure if or how that fits your boiler you're going to need to pay for someones expertise.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 9th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 14,326 Posts
    • 14,278 Thanks
    Nile
    • 9th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 9th May 18, 6:58 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think theyll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

Ive moved your thread from the In my home board to the Is This Quote Fair? board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 9th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:04 PM
    Well a basic 'standard' filling loop is 9 from Screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/combi-straight-filling-loop/46605

But if you're not sure if or how that fits your boiler you're going to need to pay for someones expertise.
    Originally posted by HHarry
    Pretty much this. Labour depends on where you are.

The guys who replaced my bathroom replaced mine (twice, the first leaked!) when the did the bathroom for no aditional cost (and also replaced an odd pipe in the loft lifted about a foot up for no good reason! (again no cost). But of course you are only asking for this and little jobs cost more (relitively).
    • nofoollikeold
    • By nofoollikeold 10th May 18, 6:14 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    nofoollikeold
    • 10th May 18, 6:14 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:14 PM
    Some of the Vaillants have a built in filling loop. Changing them (a not infrequent requirement) requires replacing the loop itself and the valves, and if I remember correctly, requiring a boiler drain down. The last time I did it I seem to remember the parts were the better part of 100, and the job took about an hour.
    • plumberpaig
    • By plumberpaig 12th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    plumberpaig
    • 12th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 12th May 18, 1:42 PM
    Just as a comparison, when I was working as a plumber (retired now) I used to supply and fit Magna Cleans for 150.

They cost me 80.

I would advise getting a handy man in to save yourself about 75.
    • plumberpaig
    • By plumberpaig 12th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    plumberpaig
    • 12th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 12th May 18, 1:43 PM
    If you're in Paignton, give me a shout
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

8,482Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin