Should I apply for PIP now incase my care team leave?

Options
I'm currently on DLA. I have input from the community learning disability team.. I have been changed from one towns CLDT to another so I have lost my social worker. I havent been allocated a new social worker yet. My community nurse (which is similar to a CPN) might be leaving and with them gone I won't have much support from social services or health. I have my supported living manager and social services appointee for help but I feel they won't have as much weight as social services or health.

I get a package from social services and on a community treatment order. I live in supported living. Do you think its best to apply for PIP now while I have a strong team around me or wait until I'm called and have a less strong case?

My supported living manager is saying wait but I'm really worried.. What would you do. Thanks.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    No.

I can understand your reasoning, but it's best not to rock the boat. Whoever you're getting support from when you're moved to PIP will have access to all your records and will be able to give you the evidence you need.

Although it's not your choice - you have an appointee so benefits decisions are down to them. That's supposed to take the stress off you so you don't have to worry about benefits.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • nicetomeetyou
    nicetomeetyou Posts: 310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you Ames for your quick reply.

Although my appointee is nice when I had a ESA renewal he filled the form out himself and that got me called to a medical (never been to one before). I took a letter from my community nurse and the assessor read it and told me I wouldn't of been called to the medical if they got the letter (it was a letter relating to psychosis and self-harm) I won't have the support with letters like that if he leaves. I haven't been sectioned in nearly two years although I am forced to take medication by injection. I feel like if when I do get called I won't have the support networks and will lose out. I come across as able.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm currently on DLA. I have input from the community learning disability team.. I have been changed from one towns CLDT to another so I have lost my social worker. I havent been allocated a new social worker yet. My community nurse (which is similar to a CPN) might be leaving and with them gone I won't have much support from social services or health. I have my supported living manager and social services appointee for help but I feel they won't have as much weight as social services or health.

I get a package from social services and on a community treatment order. I live in supported living. Do you think its best to apply for PIP now while I have a strong team around me or wait until I'm called and have a less strong case?

My supported living manager is saying wait but I'm really worried.. What would you do. Thanks.
    Nope, don't rock the boat now. Better to wait until the time comes. When it does then you have an appointee to do all of that for you, so don't worry.
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't rock the boat however it may set your mind at rest if you get the relevant people to write those letters in advance. You can keep them and send a copy whenever you do get called for PIP. If you have new people you can get them to write something instead of sending these too if a long gap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure