Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dashwoodlee
    • By dashwoodlee 8th May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dashwoodlee
    Accident (fun fair)
    • 8th May 18, 3:57 PM
    Accident (fun fair) 8th May 18 at 3:57 PM
    Hello all, I need a bit of advice, My son had an accident, the attraction was a bouncy slide. He ended up with a fractured leg out of the incident and a weekend holiday wasted.
    The owner or operator was not interested, mainly spoke to other punters why overcrowded children played on the ride.
    I had to prompt the owner to call the site security to attend to my son who helped with first aid.
    What can i do about this ? it was not supervised and overcrowded.
    Can anything be done compensation wise.help please.
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:00 PM
    How did he fracture his leg?
    Hiraeth
    • dashwoodlee
    • By dashwoodlee 8th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dashwoodlee
    • 8th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:07 PM
    when coming down on the slide part foot got stuck under some part of tarpaulin,leg went back and hence the fracture,I think the overspill of children on the ride,made him nervous anyway,unfourtunalty for me i have no photos,as that would have involved me having pictures of other children which aint mine,not being funny,people can be funny,the site doubles up as a market and has cctv and the incident has been noted on paper at the resort.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,852 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:32 PM
    Contact a no win no fee injury compensation firm and see what they advise
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th May 18, 4:39 PM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 2,670 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 8th May 18, 4:39 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:39 PM
    Make sure you keep a record of receipts e.g. taxi to hospital or whatever just in case. Then work out what losses your son has such as loss of earnings (lol)
    • Fennite
    • By Fennite 8th May 18, 4:45 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Fennite
    • 8th May 18, 4:45 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:45 PM
    Hi

It might be worth getting in contact with the local authority to find out who licences the fun fair, and contacting the showman's guild http://www.showmensguild.co.uk/

I used do the administration for a large funfair, partially run by the local authority. All showmen must provide the council with their liability certificates.
    • Fennite
    • By Fennite 8th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Fennite
    • 8th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:48 PM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43964223 Big news in East Anglia at the moment, kid killed on bouncy castle.. Showmen went and packed up the bouncy castles before the cops showed up. Dodgy as.

I used to think after working with that industry that I would never allow a relative or friend go on funfair rides, but then look at what happened at Alton Towers! The paperwork I would receive from the showmen was abysmal. I saw teenage boys erecting huge rides working at height without safety harnesses and a young child operating a tea cup ride.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 8th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 20,442 Posts
    • 12,661 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 8th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:41 PM
    Is this a fun fair or something like a School Fete or similar?
    • dashwoodlee
    • By dashwoodlee 8th May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dashwoodlee
    • 8th May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:56 PM
    No its static but part of a bigger theme park,where the main park runs on wristbands,tickets etc this one only takes cash,i have just found a picture where the tarpaulin is up and there is not one single safety mat only a piece of artificial grass.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 9th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I'm very sorry to hear of your son's accident and let's hope he'll make a full recovery. There is the question though, why on earth would you allow a small child to get on a ride that was patently unsafe, overcrowded and not supervised?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 16,414 Posts
    • 41,470 Thanks
    elsien
    If you're interested in making sure it doesn't happen again rather than how much compo you can get then check if they've reported it (probably not.)
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/entertainment/fairgrounds/faqs.htm

Then make a huge fuss with the bigger theme park who presumably have some sort of arrangement with them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • dashwoodlee
    • By dashwoodlee 9th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dashwoodlee
    I understand your point,the place was busy and its not until you look back you see the dangers,you dont expect to be in this position,but these things happen.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 9th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I understand your point,the place was busy and its not until you look back you see the dangers,you dont expect to be in this position,but these things happen.
    Originally posted by dashwoodlee
    When my child was very young I anticipated danger in everything - especially when a place is crowded!
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 9th May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    bigisi
    When my child was very young I anticipated danger in everything - especially when a place is crowded!
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Yeah but compo innit!
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 11th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    Yeah but compo innit!
    Originally posted by bigisi
    Got to love the modern day com pen say shun brigade.

Not concerned about safety of others mainly just how much can I gain for my child's broken leg?

If you're really going to push hard down that route good luck chasing them. They'll probably disappear off the face of the earth as soon as they get a letter. Or liquidate whatever phoenix company they are currently using.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin