Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stclair
    • By stclair 8th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 6,498Posts
    • 3,443Thanks
    stclair
    Asda Pay Pumps
    • 8th May 18, 3:17 PM
    Asda Pay Pumps 8th May 18 at 3:17 PM
    I couldnít see itís been covered already but this is an interesting article.

Asda taking a £99.00 pre authorisation hold when you use a pay pump.

https://dailym.ai/2I03pOj
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
Page 1
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 8th May 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    • 8th May 18, 3:50 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:50 PM
    As required by the Visa/Mastercard to ensure there are sufficient funds in the account to cover the purchase.

BTW, you've been on this forum long enough to know that short urls are banned.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 8th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 8th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:31 PM
    I used an Asda pump yesterday and it's showing as £1 on my pending payments.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 32,908 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:38 PM
    It's nothing new, known about it for a while, it's not Asda at fault but as pointed out it's MasterCard who set the rules.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 8th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:41 PM
    BTW, you've been on this forum long enough to know that short urls are banned.
    Originally posted by AirlieBird

FYI Its not a shortened link - Its a domain that dailymail use for their articles ..

Same as youtu.be etc
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th May 18, 4:46 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 8th May 18, 4:46 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:46 PM
    FYI Its not a shortened link - Its a domain that dailymail use for their articles ..

Same as youtu.be etc
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    So a shortened link. Since when you click it it changes. A proper link should not change.
    • HeyG
    • By HeyG 8th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HeyG
    • 8th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:24 PM
    I saw this on the DM - so is this only for credit cards? I'm assuming Visa debit will be fine?
    • zerog
    • By zerog 8th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    zerog
    • 8th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:43 PM
    I saw this on the DM - so is this only for credit cards? I'm assuming Visa debit will be fine?
    Originally posted by HeyG
    No, it won't be. The reason this happens is because the pump doesn't know how much fuel you are going to buy, but it wants to make sure you can pay before it lets you start dispensing.

As there is a maximum amount of fuel the pump will sell you (£99), it wants to make sure you can pay £99. This is the case no matter what type of card you use.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 8th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    • 8th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:11 PM
    Personally think this is rediculous. The pending amount remains for 2-3 days at which point it takes £10 and the £1 is credited. If I top up two days in a row it takes £198? We ain!!!8217;t all rich, it basically means at the end of the month I can!!!8217;t top up at p@p

Also, when I use Tesco I ALWAYS enter the amount I want to top up, yet it pre authorised £99, why if it know I only want a tenner of petrol?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Don't pay at the pump then
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 9th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    glennevis
    Quote "Don't pay at the pump then".

Where I live the Adsa petrol stations are unmanned so that would not be an option.
    • takman
    • By takman 9th May 18, 9:48 AM
    • 3,770 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    takman
    Originally posted by HeyG
    Actually a credit card would be the best card to use if you don't want your money tied up for a few days.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 9th May 18, 10:16 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Don't pay at the pump then
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Havent got a problem with that, I am just making a point. Its easy when someone says something you dont necessarily agree with to respond with 'dont do this then' or dont do that then'

Prime example the TSB problems, the easy answer would be 'dont bank with them then' but life isnt always as simple as you make it out to be.

Thank you for your input though, it has been kindly received.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 9th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    18cc
    the problem of pre authorisation with debit cards has been around for a while and I believe there was a thread some time ago about when you buy groceries online there is a pre authorisation and then the actual payment and the pre authorisation doesn't drop off for a couple of days so your account 'available' alance goes down by more than you think

It is obviously worse for petrol pumps if they are going to preauthorize £99 each time. there is no real solution other than don't use pay at pumps with a debit card use a credit card instead
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 9th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Ha ha who only buys £5 of fuel! Just a coincedenc shes quite a looker?
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 9th May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Ha ha who only buys £5 of fuel! Just a coincedenc shes quite a looker?
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Think the point is, should you want £1 of fuel or £50 of fuel, people feel holding £99 for xx amount of time is unfair, and I agree
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 9th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 1,776 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Think the point is, should you want £1 of fuel or £50 of fuel, people feel holding £99 for xx amount of time is unfair, and I agree
    Originally posted by wizzywig27
    Exactly. I have a fiesta and I could not get anywhere near £99 fuel in if i tried. The most I have ever done is £43 or so to fill the tank from empty.

I dont understand why it takes more than 5 minutes for the hold to drop off.

(Although if you top up 2 days in a row, I would suggest your time is better spent filling up properly the first time! )
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 9th May 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2,314 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    20aday
    I used to work in a petrol station and I think it was in October 2016 that they started pre-authorising credit/debit cards with £99 before charging the correct amount a few days later.

There's a petrol station in Lower Kilburn (Derbys.) that allows you to charge a set amount e.g. £10 which I much prefer to be honest.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 9th May 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Exactly. I have a fiesta and I could not get anywhere near £99 fuel in if i tried. The most I have ever done is £43 or so to fill the tank from empty.

I dont understand why it takes more than 5 minutes for the hold to drop off.

(Although if you top up 2 days in a row, I would suggest your time is better spent filling up properly the first time! )
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Problem is in my job I am required to use my car to carry out certain aspects of my role. Some days I may not drive anywhere, others I am out and about, and it can never be planned. I like to manage how much I am putting in for work and how much is for my use.

I would say that £10 normally does me for a week, but if I use it for work purposes I may need more, but might fill up on Sunday then at work on Monday might need to pop out, hence me filling up two days in a row
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 9th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    It always shows £1 for me on the odd occasion that I get fuel from Asda.

But who cares if it's £99?, if you're that close financially then you have other issues to deal with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

8,445Users online

Martin's Twitter