IMFS ?? debt collectors

Hi first time posting so bear with me, ive received several emails from a company called IMFS claiming I owe ebay 1£13 from 2012? this could well be accurate but I'm !!!!!!ed if I can remember anything about it. I'm not entirely comfortable paying it as ive no idea who these people are?? any advice would be greatly recieved

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kingpj180 wrote: »
    Hi first time posting so bear with me, ive received several emails from a company called IMFS claiming I owe ebay 1£13 from 2012? this could well be accurate but I'm !!!!!!ed if I can remember anything about it. I'm not entirely comfortable paying it as ive no idea who these people are?? any advice would be greatly recieved

They appear to be a legit firm and full licensed, but it isn't a debt collector I've heard of in connection with ebay before.

However, whilst this is an ebay issue you might be better asking on this board

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

The reason I suggest that is because of the date. There are complicated rules around whether a debt can be enforced or not and yours looks to be over 6 years ago so potentially unenforceable. However, as I said it can get complicated as there must not have been any contact from you during the period- so it is best to clarify there.

You also seem unsure though as to whether or not you have a debt, did you use ebay and probably more importantly do you still use ebay or does anyone closely associated with you do so?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RoyaleMale
    RoyaleMale Posts: 257 Forumite
    Maybe the agency has realised the limit is almost up so they are rushing to get the payment.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 May 2018 at 11:35AM
    Strangely when i did a search for "IMFS ebay" first thing I came across was this - which is from feb this year , and is also for £13 . Either a remarkable coincidence or something dodgy is going on

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Email-from-IMFS-stating-it-is-a-debt-collector-for-Ebay-with/qaq-p/5804613
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    kingpj180 wrote: »
    If it's a debt for £13 and from 2012, then I'd ignore it, scam or not.

There's a six year time limit on having to repay debts. There's no time limit on asking for them. It may be that Ebay have sold a load of small debts from 5-6 years ago. If they're only sending emails they haven't got much to lose.

If you want to waste their time say you don't owe it and ask for invoices/statements from Ebay.
  • 21von
    21von Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    I keep getting an email from this company saying I owe £80 but if I pay it immediately they will accept £40, had these regular now for the last year! saying its a Wise Driving debt. I dont even remember ever being with Wise Driving but cant be sure. Is this legit?>
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback