Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gcoopermax
    • By gcoopermax 7th May 18, 5:06 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 12Thanks
    gcoopermax
    Posh/safe areas in Leamington Spa - Sydenham?
    • 7th May 18, 5:06 PM
    Posh/safe areas in Leamington Spa - Sydenham? 7th May 18 at 5:06 PM
    We are considering few properties in Sydenham (Leamington Spa), however several forum posts I read suggest this area should be avoided! There is an ASDA superstore, an oustanding school and in general semis with large gardens and driveways in this area, so why would this suburb (and in general South Leamington) get a bad reputation? Also what are other posh/safe areas in Warwick/Leamington?
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 7th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 7th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 7th May 18, 5:46 PM
    We are considering few properties in Sydenham (Leamington Spa), however several forum posts I read suggest this area should be avoided! There is an ASDA superstore, an oustanding school and in general semis with large gardens and driveways in this area, so why would this suburb (and in general South Leamington) get a bad reputation? Also what are other posh/safe areas in Warwick/Leamington?
    Originally posted by gcoopermax
    Why are you trying to buy a property in an area that you don't know very well? Doing this could lead to a really really expensive mistake. Why not rent locally until you know the area better and then you will be able to see where the best places to buy are.
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 7th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    keithdc
    • 7th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 7th May 18, 6:04 PM
    What cakeguts said!!

There are areas of Leamington (typically south of the railway line) that have high concentrations of student housing.

I am not sure there is anywhere in Warwick or Leamington that is particularly dangerous!!!
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 7th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    sitesafe
    • 7th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 7th May 18, 6:15 PM
    Any town will always have areas labelled bad even if they're not that bad. It could just be the not as desirable spot in a really nice place. A bit like having the worst house in the best street.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    Any town will always have areas labelled bad even if they're not that bad. It could just be the not as desirable spot in a really nice place. A bit like having the worst house in the best street.
    Originally posted by sitesafe
    Or it could be the local rat run or the road that the concrete lorries use to get to the concrete factory. If you don't live there you won't know.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 25,338 Posts
    • 69,013 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 8th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:54 PM
    What cakeguts said!!

There are areas of Leamington (typically south of the railway line) that have high concentrations of student housing.

I am not sure there is anywhere in Warwick or Leamington that is particularly dangerous!!!
    Originally posted by keithdc
    Ditto. I've not seen any evidence of danger there; quite the opposite! It's like the perfect English town.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 8th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 8th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 8th May 18, 9:25 PM
    My cousin lives in a lovely village in south Wales. There are two houses known as the rough houses as they were badly built about 20 years and one set of owners work in a supermarket. I feel like showing them some of the places I have lived but they wouldn't get out of the car I guess
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22 14621.22 16021
    • gcoopermax
    • By gcoopermax 9th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    gcoopermax
    • 9th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:33 AM
    Why are you trying to buy a property in an area that you don't know very well? Doing this could lead to a really really expensive mistake. Why not rent locally until you know the area better and then you will be able to see where the best places to buy are.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    We live in Warwick and want to live in this area. But properties in Warwick are pricing us out. Workplaces of myself and wife are commutable from Sydenham and it seemed like a nice area. However how is it possible to know history/quirks about exact area in the time available for us to put an offer? Renting in that area means we would be wasting money that could be put in our house and being at mercy of luck in finding another property coming on the market in same area. So thought of posting here to get some idea from the folks who may be living in the vicinity.

Ditto. I've not seen any evidence of danger there; quite the opposite! It's like the perfect English town.
    We agree, so we feel hesitation to move away from this area. Warwick is pricey but southern Leamington seems to have decent properties in our price range. But few online posts alerted me about Sydenham. Hence the post
    • CM66
    • By CM66 9th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 3,099 Thanks
    CM66
    • 9th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:59 AM
    As you live in Warwick then get in the car / on the bus and have a look around the area.....try going at different times of the day to get an idea of traffic / anti-social behaviour / parking etc etc

I live in Warwick as well and would probably avoid that area myself (for no specific reason other than its reputation - but saying that there are also areas of Warwick i would definitely not want to live so i guess its all subjective)
    • Ithaca
    • By Ithaca 9th May 18, 11:17 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Ithaca
    My wife works as a GP in Sydenham. It's not as "posh" as other parts of Leamington but it's not Beirut.

There's probably a higher proportion of social housing generally, and probably lower average income that other parts of Leamington, but that's changing as more people get priced out of Warwick and start to gentrify it. Plus you can get some nice family homes at a decent price, esp. when compared to some of the new build estates springing up around Leamington at the moment.

As a long-term location for a family home I think it's a great option - Leamington and Warwick are prospering at the moment and will continue to do so as more and more people and business move away from London towards Birmingham.

Historically there was a marked difference between north Leamington / Warwick and south Leamington but that's reducing so many of the comments you'll see online are from people who remember how it was in the 1980s and 1990s and who probably haven't been any further than the big Asda recently.
    Last edited by Ithaca; 09-05-2018 at 1:14 PM.
    • FabFifty
    • By FabFifty 9th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    FabFifty
    I believe the reputation is due to lots of housing association properties in the area.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,838Posts Today

6,492Users online

Martin's Twitter