Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 6th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 4,188Posts
    • 26,876Thanks
    allydowd
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 7th May?
    • 6th May 18, 11:28 PM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 7th May? 6th May 18 at 11:28 PM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 114.29 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 3
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 31,013 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening everyone

Another busy day at work... but at least it's been productive. I am skint so it helps me to stick with the small things.

I have managed a nsd
    Made dinner with lots of 'nearly fresh' veggies and chicken. Healthy and no takeaway.
    Written a shopping list for groceries, which I will stick to. If I think I'll hit 40 I'll do it online to avoid temptation and save time.
    Looked at wool online and then remembered just how many things I have on the go at the moment

Ziggy - don't feel guilty about needing a break. We all do, and being a carer is one of the hardest jobs of all of them. Enjoy a bit of time to yourself.
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 4,250 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone

Preparing stuff ready to pop out first thing. Never got the birthday present sent yesterday, so will do first thing.
    Also need to pop to Mr Ms first thing for a few bits. If u dont go early on a Friday it becomes so busy and crowded later on.
    Dishwasher unloaded and started to load back up
    Cat cleaning still to do.
    Need to be in this afternoon, have a new microwave being delivered. Early birthday present from DM as the other one was flashing sparks. Chosen a cheap one from Argos as I only use for jacket potatoes and reheating meals made in the slow cooker.
    Give the house a quick tidy
    Spend no other money only planned spends.
    1LL I hope everything goes okay with DS1 blood tests, it's hard waiting esp if they suspect something. Had tests 2 weeks ago just to confirm that secondaries were disability related and nothing else going on.
    Ziggy I work a lot within inclusion and see a lot of people who have respite and the carers guilt associated with it. But respite isn't a bad thing,and much needed. u do such an amazing job but u do need time for u. Be kind to urself but I know it is hard.

Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th May 18, 7:58 AM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 15,088 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all thank goodness it's Friday. I love a four day week at the weekend but don't love shuffling 5 already busy days in to 4 at work. My plan today:

DH and I had left overs/ frozen odd portions for lunch
    Dd is having last of a roll from weekend bbq as a sandwich for lunch
    Using blended strawberries that had seen better days to flavour yogurt for small in reusable pouch
    Updated food spends sheet
    Balanced just for points cc
    Need to message a company about a faulty pair of shoes I ordered for DH
    Got a pair of shoes for me for 8 for supermarket last night. Makes my shoe count 2
    Pegged some washing out before work
    Hot drink and water to work
    Smalls have first of an 8 week activity tonight. Have got their kit out now as it'll be a tight turnaround later. All paid for in advance.
    Start a shopping list at some point when I can do my meal plan for next week. Good news is we have lots in so it'll only be a bit of fresh stuff. Was contemplating going to a big l1dl in the next town but mr t have sent me a voucher which is 9 off 60 spend so I think I'll use that first and go to the other one next time. Will see if I have enough to spend voucher this week, if not will limp through until next

Hope you are all ok. Purps.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 11th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,110 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Ziggy I understand why your feeling guilty, but you shouldn't. Your Mum is having respite care to give you a chance to recharge your batteries and to be able to continue with your care responsibilities. By using the respite service you are looking after yourself so you can be the best carer you can be, surely you want to give your Mum your best care. Try and take up any and all respite opportunities that come your way, so they are a regular part of your Mums routine and you can keep refilling your batteries. Sending you hugs & love
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 26,876 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Work
    * More work
    * Work with a cherry on top

Back in a couple of days.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th May 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 12,404 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all

Big hugs to ziggy, 1LL, CCL, spudsmum and anyone else who is struggling or having a bit of a time of it at the moment xxx

I'm ok today except that my womb feels like the storming of the Bastille. Pain Killers and gently pottering about is the order of the day.

The mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • Lovely reusable mooncup. Def a wonderful purchase. - done
    • Gym session - done
    • Ring EasyJet to find out why my name is coming up as CarrieX LovesFantaX on the check in page instead of Carrie LovesFanta - done
    • Check in to flights - done
    • Try to find some paper to print boarding passes. Poss buy some. Also need to buy champagne flutes (will nip to BandM)
    • Get OH to check tyres on car - he forgot after I reminded him twice...
    • Put washing away
    • Pop rechargable batteries back in radio - done
    • Charge work 1 hour overtime due to repeated phone calls and having to drop in yesterday
    • Tidy round house as guests tomorrow. - done
    • See about travel ins for hubs
    • Roast veg for roasted veg lasagne - in oven now
    • Prep mascarpone for trifles - done
    • Make lasagne - done
    • Check on garden - salt any slugs. I went on a killing spree Wed night. Must have napalmed at least 20 slugs and snails. - done
    • Knit sock commission. I am using some Drops Delight. It's soft and fun but very loosely wound and splitty. I'm not sure I feel delight. - dammit. Pattern is in US shoe sizes not UK! *frog frog frog*
    Will add any more as I think of it

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-05-2018 at 7:42 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 12,404 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    * Work
    * More work
    * Work with a cherry on top

Back in a couple of days.

Originally posted by allydowd
    Work with a cherry BRANDY on top

Fixed it
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th May 18, 3:34 PM
    • 5,109 Posts
    • 40,405 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Back from our couple of days away
    Loads to do
    Plans went awry when DD rang first thing and asked me to have the kids while she went to the doctor's... had planned to sort my sales unit this morning and wash the bathroom walls down this afternoon, with DH co-opted to help. So we whizzed round and did a bit of housework before they arrived instead. Both kids have awful colds, and I really don't need to catch one atm as my surgery is due on the 21st (assuming it doesn't get cancelled again) and they won't do it if I have a cold But DD had to go to her doctors appointment, and it would have been a struggle with a 4 year old and a 6 month old (I remember it well )
    Anyway, brown banana eaten for breakfast, house tidy, 2 loads of washing done and dried on line, and I have just managed to get down to my sales unit to restock. Unfortunately had to bring lots of unsold stuff back, so will need to put that away shortly.
    Abandoned the idea of washing the bathroom walls today, as I am too tired now. But I did clean the bath, basin and loo this morning
    Will have some bbq rib things from the freezer for dinner
    Far too many going on here - grumpy about coming back I suspect At least I have got some stuff done even though it wasn't what I had planned. That will teach me to make plans And the baby didn't bawl too much

Coffee, then off to find homes for all this tat antiques and vintage items
    July NSDs - 6 / 13
    Groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies and pet supplies - 195.07 / 250.00
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th May 18, 6:22 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 31,013 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hey all

Friday is my busiest day at work, and I'm really tired tonight. Not much time for anything moneysaving really. I spent 1 on a coffee at work as I was desperate at lunchtime, and I am waiting for my weekly shopping to be delivered tonight between 8-9. Other than that I'm sitting with my feet up, watching tv and doing a bit of crochet.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 5,109 Posts
    • 40,405 Thanks
    DawnW
    Still got to put that stuff away
    But tackled pile of receipts, checked online banking and updated spending diary and spreadsheet after our few days away
    Did a few surveys that had arrived in my email
    Received renewal quote for insurance on one of our vehicles in the post but it is a reasonable quote, a bit less than last year

And had a phone call from the hospital offering me a cancellation slot for my gall bladder surgery on Monday I said yes, now hoping I can keep the grandkids' germs at bay till after then - they won't give me an anaesthetic if my breathing is affected by a cold virus. Fingers crossed!
    July NSDs - 6 / 13
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 11th May 18, 7:31 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 23,971 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Evening All

Thanks everyone for all your best wishes and kind thoughts

No idea where this cold has come from but boy do I feel rough, we didn't go out for tea yesterday I did a use up tea from the freezer for mum, DH and DS. Today has been a loooong day, (mum had an accident so we had to stop off), we settled her in her room and she seemed happy, we managed to get home 5 mins before DS arrived home from school, 6 hours in the car has worn me out am hoping brother will fetch her home but not holding my breath as he is busy and has a life. Will have an early night as banging headache and DS has a football tournament all day tomorrow and its an early start

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner
    Knit

Have a great evening all.

C x
    Make 5 per day Jan - June 18: 818.96/905.00 Make 5 per day July 18: 24.63/155
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th May 18, 7:30 AM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 15,088 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all lovely and sunny here and hopeful of a productive day. I will:

Do some more washing and hang out, one load already out. Try and change our bed
    Put the trees that are now growing rapidly where I would like them for now
    Plant the seed potatoes
    Both smalls to dancing
    Get some milk from farm and maybe some eggs too as they have started doing those
    Have steak for tea using something that I bought in the 10 deal at m&s last weekend
    Exercise, hopefully get to gym too if I exercise outside
    Check banking
    Look for surveys
    Tidy round and get ahead for the week
    Go to cheap toilet roll shop, get so,e TR and also see if they have a laundry bag at the same time that's cheap
    Email site about faulty product for DH, need to take a picture

Right, think that's it for now, check back later. Enjoy your weekend Purps.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th May 18, 8:13 AM
    • 5,109 Posts
    • 40,405 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Up at about 5.30 for some reason It was foggy then, but has cleared now
    I have already pegged washing out on line and eaten another brown banana for breakfast Washing consists of my favourite coat, plus a couple of baby items, so not much. Hope coat dries today! It did

Other plans:
    Decide what to have for dinner and get anything needed out of freezer Done, found some steak, so a special treat
    Also get a joint out to defrost for tomorrow A small gammon joint, as I have invited my brother to dinner
    Wash the better of my 2 pairs of tatty slippers in an effort to make them look as though the dog HASN'T been dragging them outside - trying not to have to buy a new pair for hospital Done, they look ok - just got to get them dry now!
    Collect a parcel from the post office - postie left a card the other day while we were away. It must be something from RM surveys, as I am not expecting anything. It was indeed RM surveys stuff - they keep telling me my stint is coming to an end, but keep sending me stuff Still, they sent me stamps and 4 of vouchers todat.
    All food from what we have here Done
    Start a shopping list, though I don't think I need to go today - hoping to bag another NSD No food shopping, but failed miserably on the NSD front - found a dress by Weird Fish in the CS, looked unworn, in my size. Was 10, but I know from my working days when I had to buy decent clothes, that this dress would cost at least 50 to buy in an 'ordinary' shop. Teamed with a Sainsbugs cardigan and flat shoes, that is dressed up for me these days And at least I didn't have to buy slippers - but then I went and spend 12 on plants
    Wash bathroom tiles that I didn't get around to yesterday Done Also did floor, shower screen, mirrors etc
    Water any of the garden pots that need it (probably all of them in the front garden) Not done, will do tomorrow
    Claimed a 5 Amazon voucher from Pinecone surveys
    Dog is pacing round the room with a toy squeaky racoon in his mouth, acting for all the world like a very miniature version of an African hunting dog after a kill - he does make me laugh so much He is soo serious about big dog things, but weighs less than 4kg

More coffee first I think!
    Last edited by DawnW; 12-05-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    July NSDs - 6 / 13
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 31,013 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all

Managed a decent night of sleep and have made sure all of my house jobs are done so that I can relax and unwind for the rest of the day.

I'm struggling to get nsds - just goes to show how out of the loop I was with my money. As my situation has changed so rapidly I'm just taking a while to get into it and having to go along with things that I'd already planned etc. amd life doesn't stop.

Anyway, I've already done a load of washing and hung it all out, but it looks a bit grey so I hope the rain holds off.
    It's my nephew's birthday so I've put him some in a card (as he's a teenager, that's about all he wants these days). Also sorted ds lunch money for next week while I was on.
    Popped into town to pick up a couple of parcels that I'd had cards for during the week - didn't go to any shops and made myself a coffee once I got home. Small things.

Dawn, I hope you stave off that lurgy and get your op on Monday as planned. I am desperately upset about the state of the nhs and trying to get anything when you need it. Blimming government.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 12th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 23,971 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Well I'm up (not dressed yet) still got a stoking cold and bad head, DH and DS have gone to footie tournament so I'm just going to take it easy today as have my gym/physio review on Thursday and would love to be free of this cold. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    RM Survey - Done
    Strip our bed, wash and line dry -
    Sit in garden -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -
    Knit -

Have a great day all.

C x
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 26,876 Thanks
    allydowd
    Work with a cherry BRANDY on top

Fixed it
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Pahahaha. Unfortunately my workplace is 'dry'.

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th May 18, 5:23 AM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 15,088 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hope everyone is ok. Up early again, hoping for a nap later DH is working overtime today, all helps

Other things:

Folks coming over for the day, will make something for lunch and dinner and some gifted rhubarb in a crumble for pudding
    Get School bags ready and make tomorrow's lunches
    Peg out of it brightens up later
    Go for a walk, hoping to go to see some blue bells
    Batch cook some things for work lunches
    Use last of defrosted egg whites in omlette for breakfast
    Small to prepaid swimming lessons
    Check for surveys - done and cashed out on pr0lific
    Check house insurance renewal

Enjoy your Sunday peeps. Purps
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th May 18, 8:05 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 31,013 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all

Another quiet day for me, which is lucky as ds woke me up early - shouting at his Xbox.

Today I'm tutoring, then off to my mam's with the kids for a catch up and a free feed. Finish up the washing so we're all ready for school in the morning. Might bag a spend free day (fingers crossed)

Ziggy - get well soon.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th May 18, 9:54 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 4,250 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone

Up early but haven't really done anything yet except sort the dishwasher out.

Sporting event yesterday, need to update spends book as I had to drag myself to the supermarket first thing as they were out of one of the cat items the day before......they are struggling to get stock in of certain items at the minute but it is a nuisance as the cats only like a specific type of litter.....the cheap and cheerful I'm pleased to say. Have trained the cats well in mse ways!!!!!

Some bits to go out on the line and then I need to strip my bed.

Just about to start cat cleaning.

Clean upstairs including bathroom.
    Hopefully do a paintwork touch up......one thing u can rely on with a wheelchair.....destruction to ur doorframes!!!!!!

Weather looks nice out today but still going to put a leek and potato soup on later in slow cooker

Just do some paperwork that I have done my best to avoid, might do some later and some in the morning

Must write to old uni friend.....very behind on this. Friend likes a good old fashioned pen and paper letter and tbh it's nice to get one back,.

I think that's about it from me now, have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 13th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 23,971 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Afternoon All

Dawn - Hope all goes well tomorrow? How long will you be out of action?

Feeling a little brighter than yesterday. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Shopping with list - Done
    Potter in garden - a few plants to plant and weeds to be removed -
    Walk -
    Sit in garden -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -
    Knit -

Have a great day all.

C x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

300Posts Today

3,359Users online

Martin's Twitter