Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ferry
    • By ferry 6th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,677Posts
    • 253Thanks
    ferry
    No sound from TV through PC
    • 6th May 18, 9:00 AM
    No sound from TV through PC 6th May 18 at 9:00 AM
    Need some help please.
    I have a TV that doubles as a PC monitor but I can get it to play sound like Youtube etc. Tried changing settings etc through the sounds menus and HDMI settings but I cannot set it to default.
    Is this maybe a sound card issue due to it having no HDMI capability?
    Bit lost with this one. Its Windows 7 Pc.

Thanks for any help
    F x
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 6th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 8,331 Posts
    • 26,152 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 6th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 6th May 18, 9:13 AM
    Might it be cabling related? Son plugging his tablet into the TV had to get a different cable as the default he was using lacked the connected wires...
    I'm sorry I didn't get the details but I no longer presume sound carries unless I've been assured the connecting cable's right.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 6th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 6th May 18, 9:18 AM
    I'm slightly confused, how is the PC connected to the TV? Are you playing YouTube through the TV's built in app or via the PC?
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 6th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 6th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 6th May 18, 9:59 AM
    If the PC is connected by VGA cable, that doesn't have any audio.

If it's connected by HDMI, you'll need to enable digital audio on HDMI feed to TV. Or you could try digital optical out if the soundcard has that nad feed into S/PDIF input of TV.
    Last edited by Debbie Savard; 06-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    • googler
    • By googler 6th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 14,886 Posts
    • 9,775 Thanks
    googler
    • 6th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 6th May 18, 3:49 PM
    As mentioned earlier, I/we suspect you've connected the two with a lead that carries video signal only.
    • ferry
    • By ferry 7th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    ferry
    • 7th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 7th May 18, 5:24 PM
    Thanks guys. You are quite right its just connected by VGA cable. If there is such a thing will I need to get a sound card with hdmi connection?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,019 Thanks
    custardy
    • 7th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 7th May 18, 5:52 PM
    Thanks guys. You are quite right its just connected by VGA cable. If there is such a thing will I need to get a sound card with hdmi connection?
    Originally posted by ferry
    HDMI is the easy solution. That would be your graphics card,not sound card.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 7th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 7th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 7th May 18, 9:37 PM
    Our Toshiba TV has two HDMI inputs, No1 needs an audio input via a separate lead but N02 gives both picture and audio via the HDMI lead.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th May 18, 3:10 AM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 8th May 18, 3:10 AM
    • 8th May 18, 3:10 AM
    Graphics card with HDMI, doesn't matter what one. You can buy a Nvidia GT710 that'll do graphics and audio for around 25 on Amazon.
    • ferry
    • By ferry 12th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    ferry
    Graphics card with HDMI, doesn't matter what one. You can buy a Nvidia GT710 that'll do graphics and audio for around 25 on Amazon.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Thanks - quick question please - di I need a graphics card with both vga and hdmi outputs? and will they bith need to be connected to tv to get both sound and vision?

Thanks
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 13th May 18, 12:00 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    pmartin86
    Dont worry about a graphics card, its highly likly that your PC has 3.5mm audio out port, you need something like this to go with the VGA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable-1meter-Black/dp/B000Q6LT26
    • that
    • By that 13th May 18, 12:35 AM
    • 690 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    that
    Need some help please.
    I have a TV that doubles as a PC monitor but I can get it to play sound like Youtube etc. Tried changing settings etc through the sounds menus and HDMI settings but I cannot set it to default.
    So you can make it work, but every time you have to change its settings to make it work?

1) What is the it you are referring to, PC or tv?
    2) If it is the TV, then list the make and model, as some one may be able to help you?
    3) What is the setting you have to keep changing to get the sound?

if on the other hand you get no sound from your PC, this may be the answer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Adapter-Benfei-Converter-Gold-Plated/dp/B01KLKQN9U/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526168025&s r=1-18&keywords=hdmi+with+audio
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thanks - quick question please - di I need a graphics card with both vga and hdmi outputs? and will they bith need to be connected to tv to get both sound and vision?

Thanks
    You only need the HDMI connection if you're buying a graphics card but as said above if you've got a 3.5mm output on the PC & a matching input on the TV you can just use an audio cable.

If you tell us the make & model of the TV we'd know what inputs the TV has. Tell us what outputs the PC has too.

So you can make it work, but every time you have to change its settings to make it work?
    Originally posted by that

You could have saved yourself the effort by reading the posts below the original one especially the one by the OP themselves.
    • that
    • By that 13th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    that
    [QUOTE=Colin_Maybe;74279977You could have saved yourself the effort by reading the posts below the original one especially the one by the OP themselves.[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately I have to say I read it multiple times and could not work out what is going on
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Unfortunately I have to say I read it multiple times and could not work out what is going on
    Originally posted by that
    Puzzling first post to be fair. They were connected by a VGA cable but playing Youtube via the TV's built-in app (presumably, they never clarified). Then talking about sound cards with no HDMI port didn't help...
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 14th May 18, 9:42 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    lammy82
    To add my voice to the Moneysaving tipsters, you almost definitely don't need to upgrade your video card to HDMI for this. You just need to add an audio cable to your existing solution. Like this:

• stator
    • By stator 14th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 6,610 Posts
    • 4,454 Thanks
    stator
    Post a photo of the back of your PC
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 11,494 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Puzzling first post to be fair. They were connected by a VGA cable but playing Youtube via the TV's built-in app (presumably, they never clarified). Then talking about sound cards with no HDMI port didn't help...
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I think that when they said "can" they meant "can't".
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ferry
    • By ferry 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    ferry
    Ok. Here are some (poor quality) pics which I hope will clear this up once and for all :

https://s7.postimg.cc/89f7ttprv/20180514_204627.jpg

https://s7.postimg.cc/ezvp3ckob/20180514_204708.jpg

https://s7.postimg.cc/vox4yttzv/20180514_204733.jpg
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I think that when they said "can" they meant "can't".
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Of course they did, I should have spotted that myself...

They're not "poor quality", they're atrocious

That said your TV has audio input so the cheapest choice is just the 3,5mm single audio lead listed above somewhere.

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/en-gb/products/led-tvs/fhd/22hbd06u
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,337Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter