No sound from TV through PC

ferry
ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Need some help please.
I have a TV that doubles as a PC monitor but I can get it to play sound like Youtube etc. Tried changing settings etc through the sounds menus and HDMI settings but I cannot set it to default.
Is this maybe a sound card issue due to it having no HDMI capability?
Bit lost with this one. Its Windows 7 Pc.

Thanks for any help
F x
:j

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Might it be cabling related? Son plugging his tablet into the TV had to get a different cable as the default he was using lacked the connected wires...
    I'm sorry I didn't get the details but I no longer presume sound carries unless I've been assured the connecting cable's right.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm slightly confused, how is the PC connected to the TV? Are you playing YouTube through the TV's built in app or via the PC?
  • Debbie_Savard
    Debbie_Savard Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2018 at 10:01AM
    If the PC is connected by VGA cable, that doesn't have any audio.

If it's connected by HDMI, you'll need to enable digital audio on HDMI feed to TV. Or you could try digital optical out if the soundcard has that nad feed into S/PDIF input of TV.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As mentioned earlier, I/we suspect you've connected the two with a lead that carries video signal only.
  • ferry
    Thanks guys. You are quite right its just connected by VGA cable. If there is such a thing will I need to get a sound card with hdmi connection?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ferry wrote: »
    Thanks guys. You are quite right its just connected by VGA cable. If there is such a thing will I need to get a sound card with hdmi connection?

HDMI is the easy solution. That would be your graphics card,not sound card.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Our Toshiba TV has two HDMI inputs, No1 needs an audio input via a separate lead but N02 gives both picture and audio via the HDMI lead.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Graphics card with HDMI, doesn't matter what one. You can buy a Nvidia GT710 that'll do graphics and audio for around £25 on Amazon.
  • ferry
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Graphics card with HDMI, doesn't matter what one. You can buy a Nvidia GT710 that'll do graphics and audio for around £25 on Amazon.

Thanks - quick question please - di I need a graphics card with both vga and hdmi outputs? and will they bith need to be connected to tv to get both sound and vision?

Thanks
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dont worry about a graphics card, its highly likly that your PC has 3.5mm audio out port, you need something like this to go with the VGA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable-1meter-Black/dp/B000Q6LT26
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure