Using a claims company advice

Options
Hello !!!128075;

Partner thinks he may have had PPI, can remember companies he has had loans/mortgages with

Owns no paperwork - Shreds everything the second it arrives so definitely has no record of historic account numbers etc

Doesn’t want to do a claim himself due to not knowing account numbers, impatience, hates paperwork.

Happy to use claims company, we’ve made initial enquiries with one but fee is 25% plus VAT !!!128534; seems at pricey end?

Can anyone recommend (has a good experience) of using a particular company and a cheaper rate?

Any guidance appreciated

Many Thanks !!!128591;

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never use a claims company. You will need to provide them all the information and they will sell you the most expensive stamp you will ever buy.

Simply write with the details you have to the lender.
  • Tubbss
    Tubbss Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    edited 1 May 2018 at 10:24PM
    Options
    You dont need to write to a lender - most have an online enquiry form - just enter name, address, previous address etc and they will search their files for PPI records and respond. I filled the online form out on Halifax, Barclays and Lloysa and had a response from all 3 within a week.

Halifax sent a claim form back with their response, Barclays provided reference numbers and start date/expiry date of the policy (1998 to 2002) and provided details of the online claim form.

Halifax was sent off 10 days ago, Barclays filled in and submitted the same day and yesterday I had a SMS from Barclays to state my complaint has been upheld and refund on its way within 10 days.

This is the second time I have claimed PPI refunds and is a lot quicker and easier than when I made my first claims 3 years ago.

I had no paperwork relating to these historic accounts and no definite dates - all this was provided by the lenders in response to the querie.

Halifax PPI form took 10 minutes to complete and Barclays even less time.
  • 00kitkat00
    00kitkat00 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Ok thanks, he won!!!8217;t do it not at all interested sees a company doing it and giving him 70% back a good deal.
    I!!!8217;ll get motivated and start sending off for him, I!!!8217;ve completed the Northern Rock online enquiry already but could only enter two previous addresses, there are a total of 5 previous addresses so I assume I!!!8217;ll have to complete the form three times?

Thanks both for the guidance !!!55357;!!!56842;!!!55357;!!!56911;
  • 00kitkat00
    Options
    Oops sorry apostrophes all turning themselves into numbers when I post
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whether he uses a claim firm or does it himself, he still has to do all the work. All they do is post off your complaint with a load of spurious reasons for miss-sale without evidence and hope they get lucky. Banks will have seen the same complaint templates from the CMCs 10,000 times and will be used to rejecting all the reasons that don't apply which kills any credibility the complaint has
  • 00kitkat00
    Options
    So far I have only contacted Northern Rock was really easy using the form someone else posted a link to on here. He has had a letter back today confirming he had PPI on one of two accounts with them and given us the account number. Letter advises to contact them if require further info to the selling of the product, is there a template letter for this or do I write to ask why it was sold, other half can’t recall what he did last week let alone why he signed up to ppi 20 years ago so not too sure what to say. Any advice?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    00kitkat00 wrote: »
    do I write to ask why it was sold
    No, you write and tell them how you think the insurance was somehow mis-sold to you.
    other half can’t recall what he did last week let alone why he signed up to ppi 20 years ago
    That makes any complaint somewhat problematical.
  • 00kitkat00
    Options
    No, you write and tell them how you think the insurance was somehow mis-sold to you.
    That makes any complaint somewhat problematical.

Exactly what I thought! :o do I just try under Plevin due to his memory issue? All they!!!8217;ve provided me with so far is the account number do I first need to ask for the dates and a copy of the agreement (likely from the 1990!!!8217;s)

Thanks for your help
  • 00kitkat00
    Options
    Or do I use this form http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi/PPI-consumer-questionnaire.pdf and post it to NRAM (Northern Rock) sorry for all the questions, I!!!8217;m sure once I!!!8217;ve done one I!!!8217;ll be away and have the confidence to crack on with the others
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    do I just try under Plevin due to his memory issue?
    Plevin only applies after a PPI complaint has been rejected and may not even apply at all.

You don't need the Agreement (and won't get it anyway, thirty years on)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure