Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 21st Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 59Thanks
    Slytherin
    DFD: Dread-free diary
    • 21st Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    DFD: Dread-free diary 21st Apr 18 at 4:44 PM
    Here we go...

Iím just under £28,000 in debt with unsecured loans, credit cards and overdrafts. Iíve got so little to show for this debt and itís incredible how blas! my attitude towards spending this money was compared to the the frantic obsession Iíve experienced when Iíve actually focussed on what Iíve done.

Iíve spent probably 2 years depressed and anxious about the ever-growing debts. The moments of blind panic have been plentiful, as have the nights of no sleep while Iíve been wracked which a churning stomach.

I was on the fence when I contacted Stepchange about a debt management plan. I wasnít really sure how I should feel. I knew I didnít have to feel ashamed or embarrassed but was it wrong to feel relieved? I just wasnít sure. But when my DMP didnít get off to the best start, I was again fraught with worry.

And then one day, today I guess, I realised: what does worrying bring to the table? What does my stress solve? How much closer or even further away am I from my DFD by letting depression eat away at me??

Maybe itís that the sun is shining and Iím having a totally nice Saturday without spending a penny in the park. But after so long, Iíve realised that staying positive will mean I have the same journey...Iíll just be happier. It seems so simple and maybe I am being naive, but Iíve decided now that Iím just going to be positive.

Here are some of the positive things that are happening right now:

* Iíve registered with Stepchange, agreed and a budget and a repayment plan. Itís a long haul but itís a plan, nevertheless.
    * My plan was slightly derailed but Iíve got online to review my budget and agreed a new date to start the plan. This has really reassured me.
    * When Iím not sure of myself, Iíve got access to a wealth of information right here on MSE, where I can learn from people who prove you can get out of the other side in one pieces.
    * Two of my debts have been sold on - NatWest to Westcott and Capital One to FredPay. I donít know anything about either of these companies but I logged into FredPay and was able to send an message explaining my new start date for repayments and the simplicity was comforting!
    * Iíve agreed a move with work which will hopefully slash my living costs. This mean less worry about repayments and possibly being able to may a little more each month.
    * Moving is a new start. Itís a chance to change my habits without people wondering why. Itís a chance to focus on new things I can do at home (like cooking properly) without people saying ĎNo, weíll just eat out!í. Iím not going to change, but Iím going to improve and thatís exciting.
    * I can leave all my negative memories and feelings behind. I can commit to attacking my debts with positivity and knowing that I donít need much to make myself happy, just the knowledge that I can make it happen.

Happy diary writing, everyone. I wonít ramble so much next time*

(*no promises).
Page 2
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 9th May 18, 8:59 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Happy new diary Slytherin! Sorry to hear you've struggled with depression and anxiety relating to the debts. It's nuts how anxiety and depression can cause the debts to accumulate, but stick around once the debt has accumulated! It's lose/lose really.

The DMP is a positive step in the right direction and I think you're doing great so far. I can't fathom how anyone can afford to live in London: I go fairly regularly for work and it amazes me how much it costs to simply exist in that city.

Best of luck and you've got a subscriber!
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 13th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Slytherin
    I've had some unexpected expenditures this month which has made things really tight. Like, similar to how tight things were before Christmas when I was trying to pay off my creditors and borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

I sat down last night to plan my budget for the rest of the month. Main spends are food and travel. I've allocated £80 to the former and £85 to the latter. Hopefully I can spend less on food. Today I made up 6 portions of curry and rice which cost me about £7. Apart from milk, eggs and bottled water for work, I shouldn't need to buy anymore food this week so that should hopefully mean I fall way below my target of £26 this week.
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 13th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Slytherin
    On reflection, I feel like I've had a really nice day. I had a little lie in and then went for a walk. I prepped all my lunches for the week, made a nice lunch and then did laundry. I've listened to some music and watched some telly. I haven't seen or spoken to anyone today (other than Whatsapp) but I like my own company, so that's fine. So it was a boring day yet strangely satisfying.

I feel in a good place.
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 14th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Slytherin
    I FINALLY got through to Nationwide today and I was absolutely shook at how lovely the guy was who I spoke to. I found Nationwide haven't been the kindest but this chap treated my actual plan as though it was an aside and seemed more focussed on how I was and if I had a support system in place for some of the things I had mentioned. I understand that creditors have to treat everyone fairly, but I was taken aback that at how totally understanding he was. What a top geezer.
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 12th Jun 18, 8:43 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Slytherin
    Been a while since I posted! I've been really busy sorting things out with my work transfer and my move. I'm moving house into a temporary place this week and hoping everything with my job should be finalised so I can start living my best frugal life outside of London next month. It's nerve wracking but exciting.

In other news, I recently discovered that work have been underpaying me a little each month since July 2017. They owe me about £1100 in back pay!

It won't make a dent in my debts so I'm hoping to make an emergency fund with it.
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 16th Jun 18, 9:41 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Slytherin
    More good news! In addition to the money owed to me for back pay, I found out yesterday that a pay rise that was looking unlikely has now been confirmed from July. Absolutely delighted!

When I leave London, my wages will dip slightly because it's a voluntary transfer. Cheaper living costs would still mean this would leave me a bit better off but this pay rise means my salary outside of London will now only be a little more than I'm currently earning (obviously I've been on the wrong salary for a year but it's what I'm used to living on).

As mentioned, this kicks in from July. I'm going to wait a couple of months before upping my DMP payments as I don't want to over commit before my big move. I don't know if it might just be worth adding a little extra to my DMP or adding it into savings for my emergency fund.

All in all though, good news!
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 16th Jun 18, 9:42 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Slytherin
    That should say 'little less' and not 'little more'
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 16th Jun 18, 1:41 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hi Slytherin That's so nice the guy with Nationwide was decent. I do think using the money to set up and Emergency fund is a great idea. It's something I keep meaning to do as emergencies/ unexpected stuff always crop up and somehow I never learn!
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,471Users online

Martin's Twitter