DFD: Dread-free diary

Options

Comments

• Slytherin
    Slytherin Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Uncannyscot. I definitely feel like I've had a LBM. I'm feeling good.

One of the things that panicked me was realising that I'm probably never going to be able to buy my own home because of my debts. Another LBM I had was realising: why do I even want a mortgage? Sure, it's a bit cheaper than renting but I'd only be saddled to it and I don't think I'll ever have kids so it's not like I'll need a house to pass on to them. Waking up to some of these things that I assumed I should want but don't necessarily want has really helped.
  • Slytherin
    Options
    I've had a bit of a set back with my DMP. I massively understated something on my SOA which has now come back to bite my !!!!. My DMP might close now but I need to focus on the solutions rather than the problems - another call to Stepchange tomorrow to remedy this and hopefully start making smaller payments than planned (until August). If they say no... time to find a plan B.

To keep my mind focussed, I'm dedicating the rest of the month to having a frugal May. With the exception of an unavoidable trip at the end of the month (family, so hopefully no big spends) I'm going to commit to being really sensible this month.

I could also do with cutting back on junk food and booze, which are my go-tos when I'm feeling stressed or down. This is the month to do it.
  • nextyeartina
    nextyeartina Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    StepChange are understanding. Give them a call tomorrow and you'll probably find you won't need to go to plan B. Good luck :)
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
  • Slytherin
    Options
    I rang them last night and the person I spoke to was pretty short with me to be honest, but I can't expect people to tiptoe around me.

Basically, when I did my original budget I only put £500 for my rent as that is what I was actually paying. My boyfriend was contributing £250 and using it as a base for when he was in town (works remotely so didn't have a contracted tenancy himself as mainly lived in hotels Monday-Thursday). We broke up in January and he still paid for January and February but in March, said he couldn't. So I've got the responsibility for the full rent until I move out 16th July. I should have just mentioned my actual obligations but after 2 years, I've only ever thought of 'my rent' as what I was physically paying myself.
  • Slytherin
    Options
    I tried to ring a Stepchange on Friday but didn't have enough time to do a budget review and it's not possible for this to be done online at the moment.

I got a few letters on Saturday morning and these combined with the lack of progress on Friday had my anxiety niggling away. Added to the fact that it was after 12 on a Saturday and on the weekend of a bank holiday, I felt pretty hopeless. After a late night on Saturday, I really wanted a nap around noon today but my stomach was in bits and my mind in overdrive.

I suppose good progress is that a year ago, these feelings consumed me for days at a time but now, after a moment of uncertainty, I knew where to go. I hit the forum and read through the DMP mutual support thread again. I also read the 11 years a slave thread which is so inspiring to me.

A weight was lifted almost immediately. I decided what to do - made an action plan in terms of ringing SC on Tuesday to sort out my budget, get my installment paid and then I'll have a quick ring round my creditors to confirm what's happening.

Time to get things done.
  • Slytherin
    Options
    After a no spend day sunbathing on the common, I thought I'd get started on yesterday's action plan.

Firstly, I've inboxed Fredpay since that is something I could do straight away. I love their online system for communicating. I think a lot of people who are anxious talking about debt would get help quicker if they could use that method! I actually had a reply from my last message which I had missed. It basically said they understood my request to start paying from August although recommended tokens to avoid Capital One reclaiming the debt and passing it elsewhere. I've explained that I hope to agree a reduced DMP payment to SC from this week and that I'll keep them updated.

I've compiled the paperwork for Westcot, Arvarto and Nationwide and sealed it in an envelope in my bag so that I've got all the details. All of them are open after work so I'll probably head to the park if the weather is nice and get the three calls over and done with.

I usually start work at 9am but have such a busy day (and week!) that I'm aiming to be at work for 8am when the Stepchange phonelines open. I can't really do anything until I've spoken to Stepchange so it will be good to do that early doors.

If I could make some sort of payment - however small - then I think this would be a big boost for me.
  • Slytherin
    Options
    I realised this evening (too hot to sleep!) that my goals are so short term. Obviously, my long term goal is to reach my DFD but I wanted some positive goals to focus on in the next year or two.

I'm moving in about 2 month's time. I'm going to be lodging in someone's house but unlike houseshares in London, it's likely to be with a homeowner in a much smaller set up. This is an improvement on the house shares of 4/5 people I've previously had. However, I really want to live alone.

I really believe if I can last about one year as a lodger, I should be able to get together the funds to rent a one bed flat in the area where I'll be moving to (generally, the costs for this are half or less than half of a single London room). Obviously, I'd have bills to pay for myself.

I'm not obsessed with the idea of a mortgage - partly because my finances have resigned me to knowing I'll never get one but also because I've been hopeful that at some point in my life, I'll be in the position to travel and I wouldn't necessarily want to be shackled to a house.

Very short term goal - correspondence as detailed in previous post.
    Near short term goal - get moved to new city.
    Medium term goal - live alone, get a promotion.
    Long term goal - debt free forever.
  • Slytherin
    Options
    Update! Got on to Stepchange early this morning. Because I need to redo my whole budget and also add a debt where details were incorrect, they've suggested a token payment and then start again at the end of the month for a June payment.

I spoke to Avarto who basically said that now they've have a Stepchange reference, they'll refer back to the original creditor (Barclaycard). Westcott weren't bothered at all, more or less said 'great, do as you please'.

Annoying, Nationwide sent me a letter with the wrong closing time on so when I called, they'd already closed. This will have to rolllover til tomorrow.

In terms of spends, I spent 45p on huuuge bottle of water which I've kept in the fridge at work and should last a couple of days. I then went to do my yellow sticker thing at M&S and got four meals for £8.
  • Slytherin
    Options
    Nationwide closed before 6pm and when I rang at 8am today, they were also closed. I Tweeted them and they've confirmed collections is 9-5 and not 8-6, even though that's what's on the letter they sent. Annoying as I don't think I'll manage to ring them because of work. Wednesday is my busiest day so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Other than that and the fact that I got shampoo in my eye and it now resembles a red snooker ball, today should be a good day.

Got an M&S granola pot for breakfast - reduced to 55p and an M&S Thai curry for lunch - reduced to 1.30. I'll just be having a sandwich for dinner so should be a NSD.
  • FTBNow
    FTBNow Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Happy new diary Slytherin! Sorry to hear you've struggled with depression and anxiety relating to the debts. It's nuts how anxiety and depression can cause the debts to accumulate, but stick around once the debt has accumulated! It's lose/lose really.

The DMP is a positive step in the right direction and I think you're doing great so far. I can't fathom how anyone can afford to live in London: I go fairly regularly for work and it amazes me how much it costs to simply exist in that city.

Best of luck and you've got a subscriber! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure