Scrappage Scheme - is dealer cheating?

Options
sq8bgq
sq8bgq Posts: 9 Forumite
Hi all,

I am going to buy the new car which is discounted from 21k to 17k. They offer up to 3.75k discount for the old car. They told me they can;t offer any additional scrappage discount because the car is very cheap already.

Maybe I am not right but I thought the scrappage scheme is founded by the government anyway and they will get their money back? Am I right or not?

Comments

• Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no current government funded scrappage scheme. You either get a discount on the car or lots of money on your Part Exchange ( which they promise to scrap rather then sell on).
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sq8bgq wrote: »
    Am I right or not?

No you're not - you're a few years out of date re government scheme and what's being advertised now is a marketing gimmick from some manufacturers. As you've found out they're unlikely to give you 4k discount and a further 3.75k for 'scrappage'
  • sq8bgq
    sq8bgq Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    current"Scrappage schemes" are nowt but a sales gimmick
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Several manufactures offered scrappage schemes last year but I think most but not all ended in December. I did get the maximum discount plus £4,000 scrappage on top, for a car worth about £150.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I found the best way was to get 5-10 quotes for a cash deal then go back to them all and ask them to add the £4,000 scrappage on top. Most reduced the deal but a few would keep the full cash deal offered as well as the scrappage.[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure