Access point help/recommendation

Options
I have fibre (FTTC) broadband with the router downstairs, which has 2 wired Ethernet leads that run upstairs which I connect to my computers.

The router also has wifi on, which is fine downstairs, but poor upstairs.

Is there a way I could attach something to one of the Ethernet cables upstairs that would make a wifi network which I could connect stuff to upstairs?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you still have your old pre-fibre ADSL router (or know anyone who has an old router lying around) I imagine they'd do the job, just have to connect to them directly and turn off the dchp server before connecting it to the rest of the network. You wouldn't loose one of your Ethernet lines then either (in fact you'd probably gain some.)

Only issue is older routers might not have the wireless spec you want.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Debbie_Savard
    Debbie_Savard Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 7:16PM
    Options
    I use an Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream AC2200 to deliver immense wi-fi on 5Ghz band around the house (leaving the router downstairs for legacy 2.4Ghz band duties).

The Linksys needs to be put into Bridge Mode so it doesn't attempt to offer DHCP etc
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Linksys needs to be put into Bridge Mode so it doesn't attempt to offer DHCP etc

As I understand it, bridge mode is only needed to connect multiple networks.

Wouldn't you'd be better off (performance-wise) giving the Linksys device a static IP address and turning off its DHCP server...?
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Bridge mode, DCHP server etc is all double dutch to me lol It all sounds a bit too complicated to be honest
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can get a cheap wireless access point for less than £20. TP-Link range extenders, and probably most others, have an access point mode, where you can plug them into Ethernet rather than using them as repeaters (check this before you buy).

If you are prepared to spend a bit more, some (possibly all) mesh networking kit allows you to connect the access points over ethernet as well as wifi and will be seamless, where using a second WAP will not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure