Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 17th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,979Posts
    • 11,525Thanks
    dealer wins
    Access point help/recommendation
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    Access point help/recommendation 17th Apr 18 at 4:35 PM
    I have fibre (FTTC) broadband with the router downstairs, which has 2 wired Ethernet leads that run upstairs which I connect to my computers.

The router also has wifi on, which is fine downstairs, but poor upstairs.

Is there a way I could attach something to one of the Ethernet cables upstairs that would make a wifi network which I could connect stuff to upstairs?

Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Choose life
Page 1
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 17th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    If you still have your old pre-fibre ADSL router (or know anyone who has an old router lying around) I imagine they'd do the job, just have to connect to them directly and turn off the dchp server before connecting it to the rest of the network. You wouldn't loose one of your Ethernet lines then either (in fact you'd probably gain some.)

Only issue is older routers might not have the wireless spec you want.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    I use an Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream AC2200 to deliver immense wi-fi on 5Ghz band around the house (leaving the router downstairs for legacy 2.4Ghz band duties).

The Linksys needs to be put into Bridge Mode so it doesn't attempt to offer DHCP etc
    Last edited by Debbie Savard; 17-04-2018 at 7:16 PM.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 8,365 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    The Linksys needs to be put into Bridge Mode so it doesn't attempt to offer DHCP etc
    Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    As I understand it, bridge mode is only needed to connect multiple networks.

Wouldn't you'd be better off (performance-wise) giving the Linksys device a static IP address and turning off its DHCP server...?
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 18th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 5,979 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Bridge mode, DCHP server etc is all double dutch to me lol It all sounds a bit too complicated to be honest
    Choose life
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 18th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    You can get a cheap wireless access point for less than 20. TP-Link range extenders, and probably most others, have an access point mode, where you can plug them into Ethernet rather than using them as repeaters (check this before you buy).

If you are prepared to spend a bit more, some (possibly all) mesh networking kit allows you to connect the access points over ethernet as well as wifi and will be seamless, where using a second WAP will not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,284Posts Today

7,704Users online

Martin's Twitter