Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Caraway90
    • By Caraway90 17th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Caraway90
    New Bird Feeder
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    New Bird Feeder 17th Apr 18 at 12:16 PM
    Would anyone with a bird feeder be able to let me know how long it usually takes for birds to start visiting a new feeder?
    I only put my first one up 2 days ago so I know I am probably being very impatient
    FTB 2017
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 17th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    A lot depends on where it is .... smaller birds need to have cover close by (bushes/trees) to perch in whilst going to/from the feeder. Any activity by predators (esp. cats) nearby will also keep birds away.

Give it time.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 17th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 7,974 Posts
    • 13,786 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Shouldn't be long at all, but with the weather warming up its not the best time of year as there are lots of insects about for birds to eat. You always get more birds visiting feeders in cold weather.
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 17th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    JulieM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    What have you put in the feeder? Birds can be very choosy! My lot go mad for sunflower hearts and fat balls, but leave the seed mixes alone.
    • Caraway90
    • By Caraway90 17th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Caraway90
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    Thanks for the replies

There are bushes and trees close by which is good. We do get occassional visits by cats but it doesn't seem to have put birds off popping in in the past, so I hope they continue to do so!

I hadn't thought about the weather warming up, even if it doesn't get much use in the warmer months I'll have it ready for the colder months.
    FTB 2017
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 17th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    You may think that with the weather warming up, demand would drop because of more bugs etc being about to eat, but at this time of year demand from birds can go through the roof. This is because they are nesting/have young etc. Many will use the feeders for 'fast food' (ie like McDonalds of the bird world) for themselves, to free up more time to forage for food for their young.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 17th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    It can take weeks; once they know it's their (and it's regularly topped-up), it will always be occupied.

Assuming the aforementioned cover.
    • Caraway90
    • By Caraway90 18th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Caraway90
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    My boyfriend spotted the first visitor to the feeder yesterday evening
    We are out all day at work Monday to Friday though so no idea if/how many day time visitors we have had!

I love the McDonald's of the bird world comment
    FTB 2017
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 18th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 18th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    What have you put in the feeder? Birds can be very choosy! My lot go mad for sunflower hearts and fat balls, but leave the seed mixes alone.
    Originally posted by JulieM
    I agree sunflower hearts are the things to use.
    150 kg a year my garden birds scoff !!
    • Caraway90
    • By Caraway90 19th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Caraway90
    I was recommended sunflower hearts so bought a big tub of them, great to read other people suggesting them.
    I also have peanuts, and a couple of fat balls. Doesn't look like the fat balls have been touched yet though.
    FTB 2017
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 21st Apr 18, 4:57 PM
    • 3,586 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I agree sunflower hearts are the things to use.
    150 kg a year my garden birds scoff !!
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Iíve just bought a bird feeder, first time user. I have loads of uncooked sunflower seeds in the kitchen, Can I use them or should I buy special ones for birds?
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 21st Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Please don't forget to lay off the peanuts once the eggs hatch - when the parents start feeding the babies the babies can choke on peanuts as they can't be softened. Now is a good time to stop putting peanuts out.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 21st Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Iíve just bought a bird feeder, first time user. I have loads of uncooked sunflower seeds in the kitchen, Can I use them or should I buy special ones for birds?
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Well in the wild they don't get them cooked. There is a field of sunflowers near me and in the autumn I collect some heads and put them out for "my" garden birds. They get polished off very quickly!
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 27th Apr 18, 12:23 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I started feeding the birds last August. I had tits within a few days but I had to wait until November for the bullfinches and goldfinches. A long wait, but once they arrived the arrived in force (I once had 20 goldfinches in the garden!) and are now there pretty much all the time. They're getting very tame now I'm out in the garden more. The bullfinches will happily munch away with me only a couple of metres away from them.

Sunflower hearts seem to be what they all want. Tesco sell them for £1.75 for 700g (in winter that would last a day!) but you can get cheaper on the internet if you buy bulk.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 27th Apr 18, 1:02 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 4,574 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    In addition to all the above, you could also put out nesting materials for them at this time of year.

If you don't have anything suitable in your garden (e.g. tiny twigs) that you can make easy to access, you can buy both coconut fibre type stuff for nest construction and special cottony type stuff for lining the nests. You can get specific holders or just put them in suet cages.

Some people like to put combed out pet fur out in these suet cages, and I've done it in the past, but I later learned it's not a good idea and it can seriously harm baby birds. It may be better than nothing but it's a risk.

Also think about a bird bath, that will draw more birds in.

Where's our poster Gers? They are great with wildlife, you might want to look up their posts for good advice!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,113Posts Today

6,588Users online

Martin's Twitter